What's new

Gillette slim with bent safety bar

I found this Slim for 25$. Is it possible to fix the bent safety bar?

IMG_20230124_213254.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230124_213309.jpg
    IMG_20230124_213309.jpg
    661.1 KB · Views: 9
I'm not an expert, but if the razor head is molded Zinc or MIM, I'd say you're SOL. Too, brittle. However, if it's brass or s.s., you might be able to straighten it?

b/r

ON_1

I just looked it up. It's nickle plated brass. The problem will be, the nickle cracking and peeling. If, that happens you might consider re-plating?

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

b/r

ON_1

Thanks for the tips guys. I guess for my first vintage I shouldn't be so cheap and just get a decent one, but the price...
Totally understand. These adjustables are very expensive and sought after in Europe & UK.

The good thing about them is they were so well made, many issues are fixable. I would say you have a good chance of straightening that. It may not be perfect, but a little tweaking should fix it or improve it. Brass is a wonderfully forgiving metal to work with.

Have you shaved with it yet? Does it affect the shave?

I'm guessing there's a good chance it will not, so it may be cosmetic.

Totally understand. These adjustables are very expensive and sought after in Europe & UK.

The good thing about them is they were so well made, many issues are fixable. I would say you have a good chance of straightening that. It may not be perfect, but a little tweaking should fix it or improve it. Brass is a wonderfully forgiving metal to work with.

Have you shaved with it yet? Does it affect the shave?

I'm guessing there's a good chance it will not, so it may be cosmetic.
Huh, I didn't buy it! I'm asking what could be done with it before buying. It's 15$ to ship to me (middle europe) so in the end it's a 40$ razor, which is still Nice, if that bend wouldn't affect the shave much.

Huh, I didn't buy it! I'm asking what could be done with it before buying. It's 15$ to ship to me (middle europe) so in the end it's a 40$ razor, which is still Nice, if that bend wouldn't affect the shave much.
Well if it's on the 'bay, I would make a lower offer for it. It's damaged. If the seller has mentioned that fine.

These brass bars are not easy to bend and require some effort to do. Makes you wonder what the previous King Kong owner(s) did to damage them like this. If this is the shop I am thinking of, there should be more slims to choose from and if it were me, I rather start out with something in better condition.

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
They are pretty easily bent into what passes here for alignment. I've done a couple using a screwdriver to lever them up, as pointed out they are made of cast brass. None of mine had an issue with the plating cracking, and the ones I recall doing were older than the OP

R

romsitsa

If you look at the third picture of the listing it is not the corner, but the whole bar is wavy. Either the center was pushed back or the slots pried out for whatever reason. And I suspect it has some plate loss on the knob.
If you are not in a rush drop me a line, we are neighbours and I have a few Slims.

I’d see if you could just directly ship to backroadsgold. I’d trust him more to fix things and send it to you.

Its mainly patience. I’ve gotten a good user grade slim that just needed a butt ton of cleaning on eBay for just under $20. I’ve gotten a near mint, barely used one with case and instructions for $36 and recently a user Grade with a nice case and instructions for $33 (I can’t pass on deals). These are all within the last 6 months.

WTB here may be a good choice as well. I’m sure lots of people look at their collections and debate selling sometimes.

I’d see if you could just directly ship to backroadsgold. I’d trust him more to fix things and send it to you.

Its mainly patience. I’ve gotten a good user grade slim that just needed a butt ton of cleaning on eBay for just under $20. I’ve gotten a near mint, barely used one with case and instructions for $36 and recently a user Grade with a nice case and instructions for $33 (I can’t pass on deals). These are all within the last 6 months.

WTB here may be a good choice as well. I’m sure lots of people look at their collections and debate selling sometimes.
I'm outside US so shipping means +15 to 25$. Great deals you got.

Pop a blade in it, tighten it using the last quarter-turn lock and then have a look at the blade alignment. You might find that once snugged up it's perfectly ok for shaving. I've got an HD Rocket that looks hopelessly out of alignment, but once it's loaded everything is straight.

Top Bottom