What's new

Gillette Slim Wider Blade Gap on One Side of Head

Hello Guys,

I have two different red insert case Gillette Slims with a J2 (1964) and and a K2 (1965) date code, and I noticed that both razors have a similar condition where the blade gap is wider on one side of the head. The blade gap is very even from end to end on the same side of the razor, however, both razors have an approximately .005" larger gap on the side opposite the cutout in the floating tray. The condition of both of these razors appears to have been unused, and there are no visible signs of being dropped or otherwise damaged. I also have a later model black insert case Gillette Slim with an N2 (1968) date code that does not exhibit this condition, and has approximately the same blade gap side to side. I am wondering if this was a manufacturing issue only for a few years during the mid 1960's, and also how many others forum members have a Slim with this condition? Can anyone comment on what exactly might be causing this?

Gap_Wide.jpg

K2 Slim gap approximately .022" at setting 3 measured at center of safety bar.

Gap_Narrow.jpg

K2 Slim gap approximately .017" at setting 3 measured at center of safety bar (opposite side).

Last edited:
I have heard of geometric differences from side to side of a razor's heard, on adjustable's and non-adjustable's, but I have not knowingly experienced it.

Is that phenomenon on your adjustable razors seen at all settings, from 1 to 9?

Not a big issue, but if I were measuring your razor, I would do it at the midrange setting of 5. Or I would do it on the settings of 1, 5, and 9 for comparison.

If your razors have been "unused" for over 50 years, I wonder what the backstory of that might be?

Last, my guess is you don't really notice the difference while shaving, or do you?

Thanks for the reply. The condition does visibly exist at all settings, however, I only reported the K2 at setting 3 because that is what I normally use. I decided to take additional measurements based on your comment, and interestingly the side to side gap difference does not stay exactly the same through out the range. It appears that Setting 1 and Setting 9 has a .008" gap difference, while Setting 5 has a .005" gap difference.

K2 Slim Gap Measurements (measured at center of safety bar):
Setting 1 - Side 1: .006", Side 2: .014"
Setting 5 - Side 1: .020", Side 2: .025"
Setting 9 - Side 1: .031", Side 2: .039"

I can't confirm that the J2 and K2 razors were unused because they were not sealed in the outer blister package when I got them, however, both were in like new condition in the clamshell case with a sealed package of original blades + instruction card. If the razors were used at all, then they were likely only tried out a few times and then forgot about over the years.

I do notice a difference side to side when shaving, which is similar to the feel of changing the adjustment by say 1 or 2 settings when using the same side of the razor. My neck is more sensitive than other areas of my beard, so I shave it on the side with the smaller gap and then rotate the razor to the other side for the rest of my face. Its actually a benefit in the sense that it prevents me from needing to change the adjustment dial for different areas of my face, however, it still doesn't seem correct as far as what Gillette intended when producing these razors.

The first one I got was the J2, and I thought this condition was just a one off anomoly. I was pretty surprised to see that the K2 was the same, considering both were purchased from completely different sellers in different areas of the country. The similarity is that both have the red insert case with the sealed two pack of Gillette stainless blades, whereas the N2 which does not have the condition came with the black insert case with the two pack of Gillette super stainless blades.

Last edited:
Top Bottom