What's new

Gillette Slim settings

I got my Slim set at 5 and I'm fairly comfortable with it. But its still not giving me as close of a shave as I would like.

Anybody know what particular settings compare to other razors? In particular compared to a Gillette 1950s Tech, a Merkur 34c, and a Merkur 37c (aka slant bar).

You may want to take a gander at this page in the B&B wiki. It lists blade gaps for many modern razors, including Gillette adjustables at various settings. There's more to aggressiveness than simply blade gap, but it might be useful as a starting point.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap

Thanks, that's a good start. There's got to be somebody on this forum who's used an adjustable and a Merkur 34c or Slant who can chime in.

Go ahead and dial that up to 6 or 7 and see how it goes.

I have used the 37c in the past and didn't think it was all that aggressive really. Looks worse than it is. My current slant is an ATT S1 that is also not really aggressive. I find my FatBoy in the 5 range is about the equal of those.

Last edited:
Go ahead and dial that up to 6 or 7 and see how it goes.

I have used the 37c in the past and didn't think it was all that aggressive really. Looks worse than it is. My current slant is an ATT S1 that is also not really aggressive. I find my FatBoy in the 5 range is about the equal of those.

Wow, I was expecting the slant bar to compare somewhere in the 7-9 range. Wonder if its more "efficient" than my Fat or Slim at the higher settings.

Last edited:
I'm using a Merkur 39C slant recently and find it to be comparable to my Slim set to 7 or 8. Normally I would run the Slim at 6. The nice thing about the Slim is that the adjustments are gradual so you probably won't get tore up by going up a number. Try 6 and if that isn't quite enough go to 7.

I have a 34C and it's a long-time favorite. It's my benchmark for middle-of-the-road razors. I also love my adjustables -- I have 2 Slims, a Black Beauty, and a FatBoy. Of course YMMV, but in my experience, setting the adjustables to 7 (plus or minus 1) comes closest to the 34C. And FWIW, I only use Astra SPs these days, for all my shaves.

Top Bottom