What's new

Gillette Slim settings equivalency?

For a while now I have wanted a vintage adjustable razor. The Slim and the Fatboy seem to be the 2 most often mentioned so would have been happy with either.

On ebay they seem to be more widely available and less expensive in the US than in the UK so when this little beauty popped up at a decent price I snapped it up.

I'm very happy with it so far but just curious if anyone has any opinions on how the 1-9 settings compare to the aggressiveness of other (non adjustable) DE razors?

For reference I regularly use:
Fatip Piccolo Mk 1
Muhle Rocca V4
Ikon Tek
Muhle R41
King C Gillette
Parker Variant

Last edited:
Maybe I have OCD, but I couldn't find a setting I liked on either my Slim or FatBoy. I found myself constantly changing settijngs. I had to get rid of them and stick with a non-adjustable.

Oops forgot the pics...

20210724_205818.jpg
20210724_205803.jpg
20210724_205750.jpg

Comparing the settings on the Slim or the Fat Boy to other razors cannot be done accurately. There are too many variables as to faces and techniques.

I will say this, however. I have tough white "old man" whiskers. A setting of 5 on the Fat Boy and a setting of 6 on the Slim and on the Super Adjustable is right for my face and technique, for a close and comfortable 3 pass shave.

I have several mint razors I need to try. Had them for a few years now. The slim, Fatboy and blue tip are among them. A dollar tree razor suprised me in efficiency, so I have dug them out. Keep us updated.

With my Slim I shave at 9 most often, rarely at 8. Those settings with a Lord or Rainbow blade will shave very, very closely but without nicks or irritation. At 8 it shaves almost exactly the same as my Lord L5; at 9 it slightly exceeds it.
It’s the best DE in my den.

I recall ATT has a table with many comparisons including some of the adjustable subtypes :

I recall ATT has a table with many comparisons including some of the adjustable subtypes :

Yeah I think those tables which ignore the exposure component are misleading/not particularly useful.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Top Bottom