What's new

Gillette Slim..repair question

I have a slim that is in good working but it has one flaw. With the silo doors closed the adjusting knob will only go up to #3. If I loosen the doors just a little bit then I can dial up and then tighten the silo doors again to secure the blade. I am able to dial down with the silo doors closed. It feels as if something is preventing the bars from going up to adjust the angle of the blade. The center piece inside the handle seems a little loose and has a little play with the silo doors open only. With the silo doors closed everything is tight and secured. The razor is in great shape no rust or brassing so it appears it was not abused or banged up. I can live with it this way, but if there is a way to fix it I would like to repair it.

This is the best way I can explain the flaw. The silo doors open freely and in conjunction with each other. I bought this slim and another slim from the same person. the second slim is in excellent working order, no rust or brassing at all. They are both J-1. I pay an exorbitant amount of money for these razors. The $2.00 I spent for both razors broke my account. :biggrin:

Any ideas, suggestions or comments are apperciated. TIA.

Rafael

Rafael

The RAD has hit you hard!

Does the deck (the part where the blade lays on) bent in any way? Usually the adjustment gets a little more resistance near 7 or so but 3 is low-could be an alignment problem- do you have a machinists square?
You could try soaking it in baby oil or kerosene over night- it might free up.

good luck

Hey Jim,

Yeah and yours and another are on the way!!! Yikes!!!!

As far as I can tell the deck is as it should be in comparison to the other plate in my other Slims. No bend that I can tell. I'll soak it overnight in either mineral oil or baby oil. If it does not improve I know that I can set it on 3 and leave there anyways so I'll be happy with it. It is still a great looking razor for $1.00:biggrin:

Looking forward to your package arriving soon!!

Take care and thanks for your help. If you think of anything else let me know.

Rafael

Scorpio said:
I'll soak it overnight in either mineral oil or baby oil.

Same thing just one has a powder scent.

I actually believe you just need a clean and lube but even then I always notice that when there is a blade in it, it is difficult to adjust. I actually take that as a sign of a good razor. When the bottom knob is tightened the adjusters push up on the blade giving it a curvature. If you have a tight razor then there will be less play between the adjusters and the silo doors. If you can move the adjuster freely while the doors are closed then you would have a looser blade. I adjust my razor between passes and I just turn the bottom knob to lessen the pressure then make the number adjustment and the re-tighten the bottom knob. This keeps blade chatter away and gives a better shave.

Do some maintance on it like cleaning the soap scum off and soaking in mineral oil, opening and closing the doors while in the oil and running the adjuster from 1-10 a few times. You should be doing this every few months anyway.

Hey Gatorade,

That is it exactly. So I basically have a good razor mechanically speaking!! I'm glad to hear. I have to loosen the knob just slightly to dial up. Last night I soaked it in Baby oil and everything still the same but now all the workings are smoother. Right now I have the other slim in the baby oil tub along with my Fat boy and a third slim, getting the "treatment". Thanks for the advise guys, now I have a little more know-how about these razors, I appreciate your help.

Rafael

Scorpio said:
Hey Gatorade,

That is it exactly. So I basically have a good razor mechanically speaking!! I'm glad to hear. I have to loosen the knob just slightly to dial up. Last night I soaked it in Baby oil and everything still the same but now all the workings are smoother. Right now I have the other slim in the baby oil tub along with my Fat boy and a third slim, getting the "treatment". Thanks for the advise guys, now I have a little more know-how about these razors, I appreciate your help.

Rafael

They will appreciate the oil bath! Just make sure you clean it really good when you are done. You don't want it to slip arround in your hand while shaving or putting the blade in. I usually submerse them completely for a while. That allows the oil to get inside the handle and lube the inner pieces so you can clean the outside pretty agressivly and still have a smooth, lubricated movement. :cool:

Top Bottom