What's new

Gillette Slim Disassembly/Reassembly w/ before and after photos

Greetings Everyone!

Well, as a result of the excellent support and interest on the Gillette Fatboy thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-Fatboy-Cleanup-Before-and-after-w-commentary, I have decided to open up this thread, focusing on the Gillette Slim:thumbup1:

I will kick off the thread with a disassembly/reassembly video, featuring the Slim. After that, I will post up some before and after shots of slims I cleanup (as they become available). Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job, Captain. I wish I were as handy as you. If I did this most likely I would drop one of the small parts and lose it. :w00t:

Thank you all for the kind comments! It is my pleasure to share this with the community.

Here's the before shots of the slim featured in the video:
$uploadfromtaptalk1407436992567.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1407437005657.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1407437018727.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1407437032465.jpg

Here is the Gillette Slim completely disassembled prior to cleaning and polishing:
$uploadfromtaptalk1407438338325.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1407438370707.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1407438386581.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1407438403573.jpg
This had a little bit of soap scum on the insides.

Again, great thread. DIY stuff is great to watch. Can't get enough of these threads.

Also, thanks for serving.

Thank you so much Captain. I've spent the last few hours reading the entire Fatboy thread with great interest, unfortunately haven't found any Fatboy's other than on EBay with their ridiculous price tags, so as I was reading I was wondering how much of your tutorials would apply to the Slim. I get to the end of the thread and bingo! My newly acquired Slim which feels a little rough is getting a deep clean tomorrow. If you're ever interested in a Polish adjustable (Wizamet W11) to tinker with, I would be happy to donate one to you as a thank you for your dedication to this topic and the community as a whole.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407443289.980087.jpg

Thank you so much Captain. I've spent the last few hours reading the entire Fatboy thread with great interest, unfortunately haven't found any Fatboy's other than on EBay with their ridiculous price tags, so as I was reading I was wondering how much of your tutorials would apply to the Slim. I get to the end of the thread and bingo! My newly acquired Slim which feels a little rough is getting a deep clean tomorrow. If you're ever interested in a Polish adjustable (Wizamet W11) to tinker with, I would be happy to donate one to you as a thank you for your dedication to this topic and the community as a whole.
View attachment 481272

:laugh: I guess good things come to those who wait, right? Hmm...interesting looking razor...I actually have a little polish in my blood. May I ask where you picked this Wizamet up at?

I'm British but have lived in Poland for almost 9 years. I even live in the city where this brand was made so I often see them for sale. The interesting part is a complete lack of standardization, especially the packaging, so finding different variants is always fun. I even have one case that looks like it was made from the left overs of many different colored plastics. Kind of has a tie-die effect.

Wizamet was a communist era manufacturer so they were just churned out. In 1992 they were bought out by Gillette and all remaining production was moved to Russia. As for the base metal I will take a look at some of my damaged ones in the morning, I'm guessing brass with nickel plate. To be honest most of the wizamets I find have very little damage to the head, it's always the plastic handle that shows wear, or more strangely, melt damage??

Thanks for this CAP! I have not watched the video yet, but how difficult is disassembling the Slim compared to the Fatboy?

Top Bottom