What's new

Gillette Slim Adjustable

Going to look at one tonight, possibly to buy as it is my birth year razor. Any red flags I should be aware of? don't want this to be a hangar queen, after all.

Make sure the doors align properly! Make sure that the dial isn’t stuck. Other than that they are built like tanks. Can’t go too far wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alignment is key, otherwise you could be getting a different shave on each side. Check the alignment with a blade in the razor. Mines not perfect but with a blade in it corrects the issue. I’m not sure if that’s normal but mine works :)

Look at it with the doors closed and make sure the doors cover the center bar in a level manner, i.e, they are not higher on the center bar at one end than the other. I hope that makes sense. I’m not really sure if it would negatively affect the shave but it would indicate that something was off with the razor head.

I noticed that . . . it would tighten, but then there was a slightly harder turn at the end.

All in all it was in very good shape . . . some marks from use (water spots, etc.), but nothing that a little polish wouldn't clear up. Pretty good deal, so I took it.

I noticed that . . . it would tighten, but then there was a slightly harder turn at the end.

All in all it was in very good shape . . . some marks from use (water spots, etc.), but nothing that a little polish wouldn't clear up. Pretty good deal, so I took it.
No pictures? :)

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.

The ‘slightly harder turn’ is the ‘final quarter turn’ — it is designed to be ‘harder’ so as to ‘lock down’ the blade. If you find that it’s a bit too hard, a few hot water/Dawn soap baths will loosen it up well.

Alignment is key, otherwise you could be getting a different shave on each side. Check the alignment with a blade in the razor. Mines not perfect but with a blade in it corrects the issue. I’m not sure if that’s normal but mine works :)

+1! Yes indeed! Hope it is a great razor!

The ‘slightly harder turn’ is the ‘final quarter turn’ — it is designed to be ‘harder’ so as to ‘lock down’ the blade. If you find that it’s a bit too hard, a few hot water/Dawn soap baths will loosen it up well.

I figured. I have no frame of reference for what might be "too hard", so I may just give it a soak in some warm water and Dawn regardless to clean up some water spots.

Pics, or it didn't happen

Well, I'm shaving with it tomorrow morning, so it did. I'll post pics if and when I feel like it.

+1! Yes indeed! Hope it is a great razor!

So do I, believe me. I'll know by this time tomorrow.

Top Bottom