What's new

Gillette Slim Adjustable

I have a K-1 Gillette Slim Adjustable. There is a piece of metal in the notched portion, just above the numbers, that can move almost to the top of the notch when the silo doors are open. Is this normal? Thank you in advance.

If I follow what your asking, then the answer is no... that piece is not meant to move up, and down.

It is the piece that clicks, and holds the adjustment dial setting when you turn it.

$GSA1.jpg$GSA2.jpg$GSA3.jpg

Here you go.

When that spring slides toward the top of the razor, does the adjuster dial move beyond the 1 and 9 positions?

I have a Fat Boy that was in bad shape once so I tore it apart mostly for the learning experience. It had a spring in it that slid up and down like yours, only worse I suspect. The dial adjuster didn't click and it rotated around the handle 3 complete revolutions before coming to the end of its threads. So that was the problem.

That spring, the piece of metal, is about 1 1/4 inches long with a raised section on it. The profile looks something like this ______--__. The raised section is what slips into the notches on the inside of the adjuster knob to hold it in each position. On my FB, the section above (to the right in the profile) of the raised section was broken off which meant the spring was too short for its recess, this allowed the spring to slide up and down to the point where the raised section would no longer catch the notches on the inside of the adjuster.

In your case, even with the spring sliding up and down in the recess, so long as the raised section still locks into the notches it shouldn't effect the functionality of the adjuster. That's the good news. As far as keeping it from sliding up and down, I don't know if it's simply a designed level of play between the spring and the recess, or if your spring has been shortened somehow. The only way to tell if it's been shortened is by comparing it to another spring which requires the disassembly of two razors. Or, you could disassemble yours, measure the spring and then ask others if they know what the length should be. You might contact one of the replaters, or someone who disassembles these things on a fairly regular basis if they know the measurement for that spring.

I don't know if there is something that you could place in the recess to take up the extra space to prevent the spring from sliding. I'd be leary of putting anything in there myself because it could disrupt the functioning of the base that slides up and down the handle to adjust the blade gap, I don't think you'd want to jeopardize that.

If it only slides up and down when the doors are open, I don't know. I need to look at mine. I don't think I ever looked at it with the doors open. It may be that the open doors take the pressure off the adjuster plate so that there is a little more play. Does the spring move when the doors are closed? Is it different with or without a blade in it?

The bottom line is that if it doesn't effect the functionality, then you're good.

Last edited:
The spring does not move when the doors are closed. The gap between the doors and the safety bar are even until a blade is put in, at which point, the gap becomes uneven.

Is it possible that a contributor to the uneven gap is the spring not being in the correct position?

The spring does not move when the doors are closed. The gap between the doors and the safety bar are even until a blade is put in, at which point, the gap becomes uneven.

Is it possible that a contributor to the uneven gap is the spring not being in the correct position?

I wouldn't think so.

Top Bottom