What's new

Gillette Slim Adjustable Stuck

I've used WD-40 on my Slim for many years , just to keep it lubricated, It does not hurt the finish. By keeping my Slim clean after every shave by running it under the hot water, then towel drying, 2 or 3 times a year spray some WD down the barrel, After 60 years my Slim still looks good and works great . WD-40 is not only a lubricant but also penetrates to free up things that don't move.
Duct tape and WD-40 are household essentials in this house
Yep. WD40 was developed for maintenance in Atlas rocket systems. There is a reason for the saying “best thing since WD40”. A water based, water displacing lubricant, it’s actually recommended for cleaning nickel bath fixtures so it certainly won’t hurt a razor finish. I’ve been using mineral oil on adjustables the last few months (I’m new to wet shaving) and after one use, even after removing the blade, rinsing and drying the razor, froze a clean Gillette adjustable so tight I would swear it was welded. I’m going to try WD40 and skip the mineral oil moving forward. Now wondering if the mineral oil mixes with the/some soaps to create a bond?

When I got my first slim it looked like a tar brush.

Was nasty dirty and nothing would move.
I sprayed mine with ez off oven cleaner, let it sit for about 5 minuets. (wear rubber gloves) Scrubbed it with a tooth brush then rinsed if off in hot water, that got the doors moving. I sprayed the inner workings best I could again with ez off, let set another 5 minuets. Rinsed then boiled in about 3 cups of water with two heaping table spoons of baking soda for about twenty minuets, this gets all the gunk out of the hard to get places and then some!

After the soda spa washed it in dawn dish soap and hot water. Came out clean, looking and working like it was brand new!

I use this same technique on antique nickel plated kerosene lamps with no damage to the plating! And have used it on other razors with excellent results!

Top Bottom