What's new

Gillette Slim Adjustable Review - Part Two

So, last time I started my review with going with 1 on one side, and 9 on the other. By the time I got to narrowing things down in the 6-8 range, I'd run out of body parts to shave.

Last time it was determined that a 3-4 was about my SS Flare, and while I could use 5 on my chin, it was getting into a bit too aggressive territory. On the 9 setting it was a bit less aggressive than my Parker C26, but still a bit more than I wanted. The whole point was to replace the C26 so I wasn't having to be incredibly careful and still getting the odd nick.

So 8 was feeling a bit sharp on my underarm, and I dialed it down to 8, which was better. On the other arm I did 6, which was a good shave, but I felt 7 was better without risk of being too sharp. So, I think 7 is the sweet spot for underarms.

Again, 6 was reasonably good for legs, but I felt I was getting a closer and more efficient shave on 7. On the other side, I went with 8, and it was a good close shave, I did need to be a bit careful, and I got one weeper on my knee.

Afterwards, everything felt pretty clean and smooth, but the underarm that had the 8 setting did have a bit of a burn.

Final thoughts. The purpose of a butterfly adjustable was that I had two razors, a SS Flare that was fine for chin, okay for underarms, but for legs if they were grown out at all, struggled a bit. And a Parker 26C open comb, which was just overall too aggressive and I always had to be quite careful. It was great for mowing through heavy leg hair (like in winter, when I almost never shave my legs), but it also had the issues of clogging some, and also that trying to get it unclogged, and fiddling with a three piece, was annoying. Sometimes I'd have both razors in the shower, which is also a bother to switch.

The slim really did fit the bill. It's weight/balance/length all work for me. Unlike some who have seen very little difference in most the adjustments, I noticed differences with the exception of 1 and 2 which were pretty much the same. Admittedly 3 and 4 were not that big a jump, and still mild, about the same as my Flare. So, now with one razor, I can shave my chin on a mild setting, my underarms in the 5-6 range, and my legs on the 7-8 range. I think really, it is a matter of whether I want a quick don't be too careful, in which it would run more like 3-6-7, or more close 4-7-8. But I can also just go with two settings, using a bit of care on my underarms, and be at 3-7-7. Anyway, the most important thing is I know for each part of my body what adjustment not to go over, unless I want to be extra careful. I'll be keeping the Flare, and just having it at the sink for touchups. I'll eventually put the 26C up as a PIF or a Saint Sue auction item.

I have also been given a Black Beauty, which I will also review, I'm not sure if I'd keep both it and the Slim or not, I'll have to see how the BB is first. No pictures this time, but they would be the same as last time, so here is the link for the first review.

Glad you have gotten it dialed in and are liking it! Next to try different blades!

Tom
Yup. After I do the BB review (I want same blade, Feather, to keep the comparison fair)
I have the ones you so kindly gave me, and have a sample pack on order, so I have my work cut out for me. :)

Interesting approach!

I basically find ’my’ setting (generally in the mid-range), then leave things there.

Interesting approach!

I basically find ’my’ setting (generally in the mid-range), then leave things there.
The big difference for me is that I have chin/arms/legs all with their own needs. I have heard a fair number of guys say that they wanted an adjustabe to fine tune their prefence and leave it there, but also a few that switched for things like under the nose.

I find the Super Adjustable identical to the Slim in use but the Slim is definitely made to a better standard. I have heard reports of Super Adjustables corroding internally. I have one that constantly gets clogged and has to be boiled with washing up liquid each time I change the blade. The Slim is the better choice if all else is equal.

I just got a "slim" (1967, M1) from another B&Ber. I haven't ever used an adjustable but it will be fun to try it.
If your so inclined you should write a review when you do. It's always interesting to see each person's take on it.

I find the Super Adjustable identical to the Slim in use but the Slim is definitely made to a better standard. I have heard reports of Super Adjustables corroding internally. I have one that constantly gets clogged and has to be boiled with washing up liquid each time I change the blade. The Slim is the better choice if all else is equal.
I'm not sure it would make any difference, but is your SA the one with the metal base plate, or plastic?
I've just finished my review of my newly acquired Slim, and am waiting for a bit more growth before trying my newly acquired SA 109 for the first time. I'll be doing a review of it as well.

I'm not sure it would make any difference, but is your SA the one with the metal base plate, or plastic?
I've just finished my review of my newly acquired Slim, and am waiting for a bit more growth before trying my newly acquired SA 109 for the first time. I'll be doing a review of it as well.
It has the metal base plate. I don't know that there would be enough weight difference to affect how it shaves.

So I have a few shaves under my belt with the Slim adjustable (M1). I first used it with a Derby Extra blade on setting 5 and found that I got a decent shave, but a bit rough. I dialed down to 4 and again got a decent, albeit a bit rough, shave. I thought it might be the blade, so yesterday I tried a Tiger Platinum blade in my trusty Merkur 34C and got a really good shave from it. So this morning I dialed the Slim down to 3 and used the Tiger blade again. The shave was...better, but just OK. I am going to try dialing down the Slim to 2 and see what happens. My assessment may be a bit premature, but I'm just not that impressed with the Slim (yet).

I thought it might be the blade, so yesterday I tried a Tiger Platinum blade in my trusty Merkur 34C and got a really good shave from it.
Interestingly, I have now reviewed the SA 109, and had some problems with it. I started with a new Feather, and had a really hard time, but I think it is the angle. It would go back and forth between too rough and a sort of stuttering, and then smooth, but not really close. I think I just couldn't keep in the range it needed for angle.

I did try a Personna, and that went better. I'm going to try a couple of other blades, but I think the head heaviness is part of the problem. Maybe try a couple of different blades to see if that works better for the Slim.

I used the Slim again this morning on setting 3 and am still not impressed. It provided a serviceable but not very close or comfortable shave. The head feels "clunky" and gives it an odd feel. I know a lot of people like the Slim, but maybe it's just not for me.

Top Bottom