What's new

Gillette Slim Adjustable Question…

Got a question about the slim adjustable. Now it’s been a while since I’ve had one, but I could have sworn they were sort of spring loaded when you close them. This one just closes like a regular TTO and then stops. Opens and closes smoothly, doors move evenly and smoothly, adjustment mechanism works as it should. Is there something wrong with this one or am I just misremembering?

There should be a extra quarter turn after the doors close that feels spring loaded, not a dead stop like a super speed. If you don’t feel that it might need cleaning or lubrication.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
The last 1/4 turn should require more effort, but still feel smooth. That last partial turn locks the doors in place. I’ve had some where the last 1/4 turn was difficult or impossible. The best solution for me was to fill the sink with hot water and a good amount of Dawn detergent. Swish the razor back and forth with the doors open and then open and close the doors repeatedly. Repeat this process until the mechanism works smoothly.

There should be a extra quarter turn after the doors close that feels spring loaded, not a dead stop like a super speed. If you don’t feel that it might need cleaning or lubrication.
It that for all slim's? I get that 1/4 turn with my super slim but not with my slim. I only occasionally shave with the slim so I haven't been looking out for it.

It that for all slim's? I get that 1/4 turn with my super slim but not with my slim. I only occasionally shave with the slim so I haven't been looking out for it.
I believe so. One of mine when I first got it did not, but after a couple spins through the ultrasonic cleaner the 1/4 turn started doing its thing.

Super Slim? You must mean the Super Adjustable. The Slim and the Super Adjustable have the 1/4 turn feature. If not, it's gunked up. See above for the fix.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Super Slim? You must mean the Super Adjustable. The Slim and the Super Adjustable have the 1/4 turn feature. If not, it's gunked up. See above for the fix.
I forget proper names for the Gillette adjustables. The Super Adjustable AKA Black Beauty has the same characteristic as stated by Santamariasteve. While we’re on the subject so does the Fat Boy. I’ve heard about soaking the razor in mineral oil. I tried that to no avail. I guess that didn’t get the crud out. Maybe some lubrication would be OK after you get the mechanism operating smoothly. I have a Slim that I use on the weekends all summer and when I travel.
When the razor’s smoothness deteriorates I give it the Dawn treatment and I’m back in business.

Soaking a gunked-up razor in mineral oil often does not fix it. Mineral oil primarily is a lubricant, rather than a cleaner.

Clean it first, and then add a drop of lubricant if you wish.

Top Bottom