What's new

Gillette Slim Adjustable issue please help?

Bought a vintage Gillette slim adjustable.
Tried it and realised that the 2 sides are not the same even though I did not change the settings.
Took a closer look and realised that the gap on both sides are different.
Is there anyway to fix this? Or do I have to return this from to the seller?

IMG_2875.png
IMG_2876.png

You can try to bend it back so it's closer to correct. But getting it perfect will be a slim chance. You can send it out to one of the rebuilders and they might be able to fix it up. Or send it back to the seller as damaged. As long as you have that opening. If it was sold As-Is then you are just taking a chance. You can find many of them for sale so it wouldn't be hard to replace.

It looks like most likely the end cap on the far side of the first picture is a little bent. If the doors don’t close any the same speed that’s likely the case. Look to see if it’s parallel to the base plate, and if not, just give it a gentle nudge till it is. It could also be a bent t bar. If you open the razor and when looking at it from the front, look to see if the t bar is parallel to the base plate. If it is not, grab the shaft on both sides just below the bar with some needle nose pliers (use a cloth or something to prevent scratching) and gently tweak it into place. That said, have you shaved with it? Just because it’s not perfect, doesn’t mean it won’t shave well. I have a slim with a slightly loose base plate, meaning there’s always kind of a variable blade gap. I call it the party slim, and it gives great shaves.

It looks like most likely the end cap on the far side of the first picture is a little bent. If the doors don’t close any the same speed that’s likely the case. Look to see if it’s parallel to the base plate, and if not, just give it a gentle nudge till it is. It could also be a bent t bar. If you open the razor and when looking at it from the front, look to see if the t bar is parallel to the base plate. If it is not, grab the shaft on both sides just below the bar with some needle nose pliers (use a cloth or something to prevent scratching) and gently tweak it into place. That said, have you shaved with it? Just because it’s not perfect, doesn’t mean it won’t shave well. I have a slim with a slightly loose base plate, meaning there’s always kind of a variable blade gap. I call it the party slim, and it gives great shaves.
I have tried shaving with it, one side has a lot of blade feel and the other has none.
I might try using the butter knife method, but I am still really new into this gillette hobby and I hope I don't break it!

It just needs a tweak with some padded needle nose pliers. There are many links to methods to straighten the guard bar and doors. It's usually an easy fix.
Thank you, I've tried using the butter knife method and it seems to be helping.
I tried to get it as close as I can, but probably not as good as some of the veterans here.

It depends. It depends on how mechanical you are, how motivated you are, and how lucky you are.

It depends. It depends on how mechanical you are, how motivated you are, and how lucky you are.

Fair. The work I do for a living has provided me with the skills to repair and adjust vintage TTO and adjustable razors. I don’t expect it to come naturally to anyone.

If anyone can fix blade gaps and knows what they're doing in the UK i've goy 2 M1's great looking no plate loss just don't shave well.You can have one if you can fix them.If you can't you can have them anyway for parts they're just sitting in my drawer.Message me if interested.

Don't dork around trying to straighten it out unless you have some actual experience. Take a look at the www.Backroadsgold.com website. In addition to plating, Chris also does tune ups. Get it done right & you'll be happy with a great-performing razor!

I got these all as cheap, nasty junk. Refinishing brought them back to their former glory:
IMG_20220405_115526-1.jpg

Top Bottom