What's new

Gillette Single Ring vs Gillette Late 40'S Super Speed

Can someone please review the two razors for me? I assume that they are not apples to apples. I actually have the '47 - '51 Super Speed, so I am really interested in how the '20s Single Ring compares.

Background: I am thinking about getting a refurbished model of one of these. I plan on using whichever one I get. I would be getting these for sentimental "connection" purposes.

Thanks!

Hello!
I find the SS and the british Rocket to be mild razors. They're quite efficient and very easy to use but I honest they could have been better (in my opinion).
They shave great if you have just 2 or 3 days of growth, but if you like letting your beard grow then it gets complicated.
The single ring is in the aggressive side but it gets the job done very well.
It will shave off whatever amount of hair you have in your face.
I think it's about finding the right combination between razor and blade.
For example, a Tech razor with a very sharp blade will work fantastically well.

Hope I was able to help.

Greetings!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
For me the single ring gives a closer shave and is a more nimble and precise shaving tool. The SS is a good razor of that there is no doubt but I find it rather utilitarian and dare I say a little dull. A single ring, especially one over 100 years old, is far nicer in every way - the performance, the looks, and something intangible, the history, imagining possible previous owners. Just a feeling really. One is cool and, for me anyway, the other is not. YMMV 👍

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
The single ring is the absolute best for the ‘under the nose’ area. It’s all this guy ever used.
1589714857163.jpeg

R

romsitsa

Single rings are more blade forward, but smoother than tto-s. The problem is that the old type head is pretty thin, even on the 20ies models, so undamaged ones are rare.
Before getting a refurbished one, check if the cap and comb are perfectly straight and how it holds the blade (almost flat against the comb without any kind of curve or wave).

Adam

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
A-cha-cha-cha-cha!

Seriously though, are you just joking, or is that really true? How would you find something like that out?! If that was a joke, color me gullible. 😉
Hehe ... I have no idea what old Jimmy used; he was just sort of the poster child for the big schnozz. What IS true, is that the single ring is as nimble as it gets.

Okay, I am rethinking my strategy. I already own a "user grade" SS '47 - '51. I think the Single Ring would fit in better with what I already have. I think I need to tone down my enthusiasm a little and look for a less expensive quality Single Ring (with the sentimental connection being a 1925 version). Especially in light of @tonich comment and online research.

I am learning a lot from this forum and appreciate everyone's input!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Okay, I am rethinking my strategy. I already own a "user grade" SS '47 - '51. I think the Single Ring would fit in better with what I already have. I think I need to tone down my enthusiasm a little and look for a less expensive quality Single Ring (with the sentimental connection being a 1925 version). Especially in light of @tonich comment and online research.

I am learning a lot from this forum and appreciate everyone's input!
I've gotten a few user grade single rings for very reasonable prices. They are very smooth shavers. I like them better than the later 3 piece olds.

In my experience the Gillette Old Type thin cap razor from the teens and earlier is historic, looks cool, but is harsh and is a somewhat mediocre shaver.

The Gillette Old Type thick cap from the 1920's is a mild mediocre shaver.

Some guys think they are marvelous. I think they are good and adequate, but nothing special compared to their more modern brethren. YMMV

The Gillette Super Speed TTO from the 1940's is outstanding in smoothness and efficiency.

I have a 1910 Single Ring and it shaves great. One of my favorites. Reminds me of a slightly more aggressive version of the modern Merkur 15C. I prefer it over my 1960 SS since I have a preference for open combs. My skin is not sensitive, I have a coarse beard and I'm only shaving my cheeks and neck (have a goatee). As is frequently said on this site, Your Results May Vary.

Top Bottom