What's new

Gillette Single Ring, how efficient and what does it compare to?

I have a lot of OLD Types, and the Single Ring is my favorite. Shaves better than the rest. I also have an Ivory Snow OLD Type head the I keep on a modern handle that shaves better than my other 3-piece OLDs. Great razors. If you have good technique you can get excellent shaves. If not, better stock up on styptic pencils until you do. 😛
I've got to ask what an ivory snow Old type is?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I've got to ask what an ivory snow Old type is?

It’s a 3 piece old type that says “Use Ivory Soap” on the baseplate. I am not home right now so I grabbed this photo from google. This pic is not mine. But it’s a super cool razor in my opinion.

C4A6E0D7-A72C-472F-82EA-E4201AAFB2C2.jpeg

It’s a 3 piece old type that says “Use Ivory Soap” on the baseplate. I am not home right now so I grabbed this photo from google. This pic is not mine. But it’s a super cool razor in my opinion.

View attachment 1336425
Yeah that's pretty slick, I like that.
Is that going to be a thin cap or the thicker cap? I'll see if I can find something to read up on that I'm supposed it was to promote Ivory soap.

@Keto you inspired me so I pulled out my Single Ring that was restored by a well respected member of our community who sadly is no longer with us. This razor by far is my favorite of any vintage razors I have used and for me shaves as well or better than any modern razor I have. It does take attentiveness or it will bite and the angle is very important but the end result is a beautiful BBS shave. My best comparison to a modern razor would be a Wolfman WR1 .94 OC or a Version 1 Charcoal Goods level 3( but it clamps the blade tighter than a CG)
View attachment 1190682
Going over this again, that's a nice razor, looks good!

What do you think of the Winner blade?
Hey, thanks for asking Mr. Ambassador Sir, if I may, let me say that the blade is good, not great, ymmv of course.
In different razors, the feel can be different. I would say it's similar to the Supermax Blades. Overall, I like the smooth, sharpish and comfortable edge. This blade is best for 4-5 shaves... the final verdict is not an aggressive blade.

Got a good shave in with this user 1918 Single Ring. This thing get the whiskers off pretty quick.

Attachments

• IMG_20211005_030602501.jpg
    IMG_20211005_030602501.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 8

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hey, thanks for asking Mr. Ambassador Sir, if I may, let me say that the blade is good, not great, ymmv of course.
In different razors, the feel can be different. I would say it's similar to the Supermax Blades. Overall, I like the smooth, sharpish and comfortable edge. This blade is best for 4-5 shaves... the final verdict is not an aggressive blade.
I was always tempted to buy some, back when (I think!) they were 110 blades for $10..... Or I'm remembering wrong!

All the Old Types feel about the same to me. They can be aggressive and you have to be careful but they work well. I think the real comfort with Gillette's came into play with the TTO's particularly the Rocket HD and the Toggle (still a TTO: toggle to open.:001_smile)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This. 😉

I have used no other since, not even the other Ti baseplates.

AA

I was always tempted to buy some, back when (I think!) they were 110 blades for $10..... Or I'm remembering wrong!
Yes, the blades are very affordable. I can get it at my place usually 55 blades in a pack for USD$2.6 delivered. How I wish I can send some to you and other members to try...including my favourite local the JAWS Platinum blades.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yes, the blades are very affordable. I can get it at my place usually 55 blades in a pack for USD$2.6 delivered. How I wish I can send some to you and other members to try...including my favourite local the JAWS Platinum blades.
My friend, thank you for the kind thought! I think the US of A must have some REALLY bad postal service based on the price!

Missed this thread somehow. Let’s bring it to the top as I enjoy my Gillette SR immensely only being behind my RFB for being my favorite & best Gillette razor. I agree with quite a few posters in this thread that the Single Ring has no razor in these modern times that it can be compared to in feel & function. That also includes every other razor that Gillette ever produced thereafter. Personally, I don’t find it to be the smoothest nor the easiest of Gillette’s offerings in the 3 piece arena and Open Comb variants but, as quite a few have stated here with sound technique and a mindful approach it produces an exquisite end result that takes a backseat to no other safety razor in existence. Well then Gus, why does it play 2nd fiddle to your Gillette RFB you might ask. Simply, the RFB (raised flat bottom) is the more forgiving razor of the two that produces nearly identical results in my experience. The SR does offer better blade rigidity as the whole blade is pinched and supported over a broader base than the RFB but, not by much. I mean, the RFB can equally take on multiple days of growth just as good as the SR and for me execute it more comfortably. Now, if I want a full on balls to the wall, dress to impress shave that takes no prisoners in leaving my mug clean shaven as if from the hands of the shave gods themselves, the Gillette Single Ring will head the top of the list. All that the Single Ring requires is not to get lazy with it from start to finish. Also in conclusion, it is THE ONLY Gillette razor that can give me a BBS finish in 2 efficient and thorough passes. Not even the great RFB can match that.

Great shaves to all….

08B5CF62-6460-46DC-A1CC-F66E25C0E747.jpeg

Missed this thread somehow. Let’s bring it to the top as I enjoy my Gillette SR immensely only being behind my RFB for being my favorite & best Gillette razor. I agree with quite a few posters in this thread that the Single Ring has no razor in these modern times that it can be compared to in feel & function. That also includes every other razor that Gillette ever produced thereafter. Personally, I don’t find it to be the smoothest nor the easiest of Gillette’s offerings in the 3 piece arena and Open Comb variants but, as quite a few have stated here with sound technique and a mindful approach it produces an exquisite end result that takes a backseat to no other safety razor in existence. Well then Gus, why does it play 2nd fiddle to your Gillette RFB you might ask. Simply, the RFB (raised flat bottom) is the more forgiving razor of the two that produces nearly identical results in my experience. The SR does offer better blade rigidity as the whole blade is pinched and supported over a broader base than the RFB but, not by much. I mean, the RFB can equally take on multiple days of growth just as good as the SR and for me execute it more comfortably. Now, if I want a full on balls to the wall, dress to impress shave that takes no prisoners in leaving my mug clean shaven as if from the hands of the shave gods themselves, the Gillette Single Ring will head the top of the list. All that the Single Ring requires is not to get lazy with it from start to finish. Also in conclusion, it is THE ONLY Gillette razor that can give me a BBS finish in 2 efficient and thorough passes. Not even the great RFB can match that.

Great shaves to all….

View attachment 1573974
Beautiful patina! Thanks for not polishing it off.

Top Bottom