What's new

Gillette Single Ring Advice

Hey Guys, I received a lovely condition 1912 single ring today. Am I right in thinking that these were made in silver? And what would be the best way to clean and look after it long term? Many Thanks!
26F739CE-BE63-4A29-852B-8C15533A20DF.jpeg
A603F7A2-4AD8-4EA1-9D59-702D119EEFBC.jpegF40D7C43-3DAE-4F66-BB88-855803F72F8E.jpeg

Thank you for your kind advice and compliments. I tried it out this afternoon. It was great and very slick all round. I didn't find it a harsh shave that is sometimes associated with open combs... quite the opposite in fact.

Very nice ! I think that box is a lot older than that particular razor . Pre 1908 maybe ? The diamond logo was first used in advertising in 1908 according to Waites. Are you sure that is not a "G" instead of a "C" ...G is 1918. I could very well be wrong however. I think the days of finding a cased single ring for $35-$45 are long gone, but you never know what one will find. I found a first year 1906 single ring in really nice condition , minus case, for $35.

Screenshot 2022-05-08 152918.jpg

Screenshot 2022-05-08 152009.jpg
Screenshot 2022-05-08 151254.jpg

Hey Firedan, I looked back at my original photo and agree with you it initially did look like a G! However I have double checked the serial and it's 100% a C just a bad photo with a lot of surface scratches. The box was actually stripped down to the wood but it originally would of been covered over in a black kind of leather cover all over. It's still on the base of the box.

Hey Firedan, I looked back at my original photo and agree with you it initially did look like a G! However I have double checked the serial and it's 100% a C just a bad photo with a lot of surface scratches. The box was actually stripped down to the wood but it originally would of been covered over in a black kind of leather cover all over. It's still on the base of the box.
That's a good one. I thought the sliding latch and that label inside put the box earlier than 1912, hard to say . I knew it was a black covered box .I don't know if there is a definitive cutoff date for the wood box with the slide latch, maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in and share. It is interesting how the fastening types changed. There are some with the Darwin type snap, even a metal box that has a Darwin style snap. I just bought one for $25 off ebay just because it was so different, I'll probably put the 1905 single ring I just received in it after I clean it up. I suspect the metal box with the Darwin snap is circa 1920, maybe a little older. I need to find a patent date for those unique Darwin style snaps. They call them "Poppers" in England, that is how I found a box of them for sale on Ebay and bought them to fix my Darwin snap some day .

Top Bottom