What's new

gillette silver blue

GSB was worst from my sample pack. Never again. Unpleasent and tugging, Rubie and Wilkinson miles ahead.

Interesting. I like GSB, although they are not my favorites by any means. It may take a shave or two with the GSB for the blade to reach its full potential in sharpness.

I find Rubie Plus blades to be on par with Astra Superior Platinum. Neither are fails for me, but I do not enjoy using either. They are not sharp enough for my beard..

Which Wilkinson Sword blade are you talking about: the German made Wilkinson Sword or the Gillette branded blades. I find the Gillette Wilkenson Swords blades to be on par with the GSB blades. I prefer the German Wilkies.

hey people so i used the gillette silver blue in my merkur 45 bakelite de razor,
really nice blade, has to be up there with the gillette nacets and rubies too

i'd probably say better then astra sp's and a bit better then dorco titans as the gillette silver blues are very smooth and sharp too YMMV

what are your thoughts and experiences with this blade?
I loved what I got in the sample, but was not in love with I got with the 100 pack. I gave away after 4 blades

I have worked my down or up to three favorite blades and razors. silver blue and nacet in my EJ89, light blue Platinum and silver blue in my red tip, and silver blue, nacet, and light blue plats in my slim.

GSB and Nacet seem to be the same blade with the Nacet having less if any coating. I feel they resemble the overpriced vintage spoilers that I bought on ebay.

The light blue plats are very much like the platinum plus (Brazilian made) to me. They are often compared to the Swedes, but never having tried a Swede I couldn't say.

When I say light blue plats I mean these:
proxy.php

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these 3 blades.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I bought various tucks of blades to try and I thought that I tried the GSB and didn't much care for them. Today I wanted to try a different blade so I went searching for the GSB tuck and I found that it was unopened. I realized that I must have used a Gillette Platinum instead of the GSB. All I can say is this blade is sharp and it felt slightly smoother than a Nacet. I will have to spend more time with these blades. Now I know why they are so popular with so many people.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Gillette silver blue is one of my favorites and is a favorite of a lot of folks who still traditional wet shave. I came across this interesting thread on B&B about your favorite mass- appeal favorite blade and GSB is right up there for a tied #1 spot. It is the most accurate information I believe I've seen in some time. Gillette silver blue is sharp & smooth with a Teflon coating to help in glide better on the first 2 shaves and is good for 4-5 great shaves in longevity for myself IMO.
Have some great shaves!

I tried a Silver Blue for the first time today.
I received a free tuck when I received my Slim adjustable a few weeks ago. I used it in my ATT Windsor .80 razor. My preferred blade is the Gillette Platinum so I expected something similar. What resulted was one of the worst shaves I've had!
The blade tugs like there's no tomorrow and gave a rough shave. The only other blade that has had similar results for me has been the Voskhod blades. The Silver Blue felt just like it!
I also use super sharp blades such as Bic's and Feathers and haven't had those issues with those blades. After reading so many praises here, I was disappointed. How can it be so different as compared to the Gillette Platinum? The GP Is crazy smooth!
Am I missing something?

BTW, the ATT Windsor is one of those razors that shaves great with pretty much any blade. So I don't think that was the issue. Maybe I got a dud or something, who knows!

In my vintage Gillettes, EJ DE89, and Feather AS-D2, I can barely tell any difference between blades and I have a good dozen different brands including pretty much all the brands mentioned in this thread (do not know the Gillette Rubie). Maybe it's because my razors are all pretty mild or I've lost all feeling in my face but I really barely feel a difference. To me, it's like audiophiles talking about the poetic sound difference in cables... ;)

Top Bottom