What's new

gillette silver blue

hey people so i used the gillette silver blue in my merkur 45 bakelite de razor,
really nice blade, has to be up there with the gillette nacets and rubies too

i'd probably say better then astra sp's and a bit better then dorco titans as the gillette silver blues are very smooth and sharp too YMMV

what are your thoughts and experiences with this blade?

DE razor blades are one of the most YMMV aspects of wet shaving. You personal preference will depend upon the coarseness of your beard, the sensitivity of your skin, and the aggressiveness of your razor.

I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin. For me Astra SP and Rubie Plus blades are barely sharp enough to cut my beard. I can use them, but do not enjoy using either. However, there are blades like Derby Extra do not work at all for me.

I put Gillette Silver Blues in the mid-sharp category along with Gillette Platinum, 7 O'Clock SharpEdge Yellow, Gillette Wilkinson Sword, Polsilver, and the 7 O'Clock Greens. For me, they work best in more aggressive razors. I can use them, but none of these blades is in my list of favorites. I tend to like even sharper blades, but that I because of my tough, old-man beard.

Gillette makes a number of blades that I place in the very sharp category. Those include Astra Superior Stainless (blue), Nacet, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black, and PermaSharp Super. I hesitate to use these blades in aggressive razors because they can be too harsh.

I have never shaved with the Merkur Bakelite, so I do not know where it fits on the aggressiveness scale. I have read some reports that say it is aggressive and other reports that say it is as mild as a SuperSpeed razor. I do not know which to believe.

As long as the GSB blades work for you in your razors, it really does not matter what anyone else thinks. Among the general wet shaving population, the GSB blades seem to be quite popular. However, popularity does not mean much. The Astra SP blades are the best selling DE blades on Amazon and many shaving vendors, but they do not work for me.

For me, the bakelite shaves like the Razorock BBS without the weight. I've never had a problem with a GSB in ANY razor. I love it!
i luv it.gif

DE razor blades are one of the most YMMV aspects of wet shaving. You personal preference will depend upon the coarseness of your beard, the sensitivity of your skin, and the aggressiveness of your razor.

I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin. For me Astra SP and Rubie Plus blades are barely sharp enough to cut my beard. I can use them, but do not enjoy using either. However, there are blades like Derby Extra do not work at all for me.

I put Gillette Silver Blues in the mid-sharp category along with Gillette Platinum, 7 O'Clock SharpEdge Yellow, Gillette Wilkinson Sword, Polsilver, and the 7 O'Clock Greens. For me, they work best in more aggressive razors. I can use them, but none of these blades is in my list of favorites. I tend to like even sharper blades, but that I because of my tough, old-man beard.

Gillette makes a number of blades that I place in the very sharp category. Those include Astra Superior Stainless (blue), Nacet, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black, and PermaSharp Super. I hesitate to use these blades in aggressive razors because they can be too harsh.

I have never shaved with the Merkur Bakelite, so I do not know where it fits on the aggressiveness scale. I have read some reports that say it is aggressive and other reports that say it is as mild as a SuperSpeed razor. I do not know which to believe.

As long as the GSB blades work for you in your razors, it really does not matter what anyone else thinks. Among the general wet shaving population, the GSB blades seem to be quite popular. However, popularity does not mean much. The Astra SP blades are the best selling DE blades on Amazon and many shaving vendors, but they do not work for me.
yea i hear you mate

id probably say the merkur is mid aggressive, for me i have really thick coarse hair and it ate it up,
obviously depends on the blade as the tool will only work as goods as the blade is imho YMMV

Silver Blues are part of the group of Gillette blades that all seem to work well for me. Platinum, King C. Gillette, Nacet. Pretty much any of those provide enough balance between sharp and smooth to perform well in most razors. I just bought 100 Platinums because, outside of the ridiculously expensive KCGs, they seem to be the best option for me.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I just bought 100 Gillette Silver Blues and am still in my first five blade tuck. I was sold after a sample of five blades. I have just had shave number 18 of my ancient, wiry, coarse beard. BBS all over in three smooth passes. It is even smooth on the fool's pass. In my Above the Tie Windsor, with its mild copper plate, it is as fine a combination as I have ever had, smooth and efficient but also durable. To quote Nigel Tufnel, "Yes, but this one goes to eleven."

what did you prefer the razorock bbs or the merkur?
In the end, I'd have to go with the Razorock because of the weight issue. It's not the razor, but my shortcomings in shaving that I tend to end up pressing lightweight razors rather than gliding. I will never part with my Merkur 45 (plus, the new price when I purchased was AMAZING!) and use it, but the BBS gets more use.

Silver Blues are part of the group of Gillette blades that all seem to work well for me. Platinum, King C. Gillette, Nacet. Pretty much any of those provide enough balance between sharp and smooth to perform well in most razors. I just bought 100 Platinums because, outside of the ridiculously expensive KCGs, they seem to be the best option for me.
see as much as a lot of people have a love hate relationship with gillette, they must be doing something right as theyre old vintage razors are giving modern ones a run for their money and we're talking razor designed over like 50 plus years ago,
also their actual blades seem to be consistent too

some de blades ha qc issues but i dont seem to find that with the gillette blades ive tried out...

I find them to work well in any razor and they give a good, smooth shave. I tend to prefer certain blades in certain razors, but these are so consistent that I expect to always have some on hand.
i think that statement suits the whole gillette razor blade range very well imho

hey people so i used the gillette silver blue in my merkur 45 bakelite de razor,
really nice blade, has to be up there with the gillette nacets and rubies too

i'd probably say better then astra sp's and a bit better then dorco titans as the gillette silver blues are very smooth and sharp too YMMV

what are your thoughts and experiences with this blade?

I like that they have a drop of adhesive (it's either wax or something like wax)
which keeps them from moving inside of their paper wrapper, and for that reason,
those are the ones that I pack in my travel kit which is subject to jostling.
I don't like the idea that the cutting edge of my blade
might contact the paper and get even the slightest bit dull before I unwrap it.

i think that statement suits the whole gillette razor blade range very well imho

I'm particularly fond of the GSB, Nacet, and light blue Platinum. I have fine luck with Astra(s) - both, Wizamets, and the green 7 o'clock. For some reason the yellow 7 o'clock are among the roughest blades I've tried. All Russian. I haven't tried other Gillettes from other locations. Also, like Feathers, German Wilks, and some Personnas.

GSB so far is my go to blade.
It works in any razor I try them with.
For 5-6 years when life got in the way I shaved with my 37c, GSB and used grated Palmolive stick in a bowl only. Some work well in some razors. But for me, ymmv, the GSB works in every single razor I've tried well.
Glad to hear your experience!!

I like that they have a drop of adhesive (it's either wax or something like wax)
which keeps them from moving inside of their paper wrapper, and for that reason,
those are the ones that I pack in my travel kit which is subject to jostling.
I don't like the idea that the cutting edge of my blade
might contact the paper and get even the slightest bit dull before I unwrap it.
yea i get you...

tbh the whole wax thing doesnt ever bother me,
not sure why it annoys some wet shavers up as once the blades loaded in the razor its not like you feel or see it tbh,
so dont really get it and understand it tbh

GSB so far is my go to blade.
It works in any razor I try them with.
For 5-6 years when life got in the way I shaved with my 37c, GSB and used grated Palmolive stick in a bowl only. Some work well in some razors. But for me, ymmv, the GSB works in every single razor I've tried well.
Glad to hear your experience!!
yea defo a very good all round blade, will use one in another reazor for my next shave to see how it performs

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
yea i get you...

tbh the whole wax thing doesnt ever bother me,
not sure why it annoys some wet shavers up as once the blades loaded in the razor its not like you feel or see it tbh,
so dont really get it and understand it tbh
I had not even noticed whether Gillette Silver Blues had wax or not. I guess I am unfazed by it. My Gillette Silver Blue provided shave number twenty this morning in an Above the Tie Windsor with a mild plate. The shave was smooth and close, BBS in three passes. What's not to like about that?!

Top Bottom