What's new

Gillette Silver Blue longevity

Gillette Silver Blues are the third blade I have tried in my initial assortment. I have been very impressed with the sharpness, smoothness and longevity of them. I can get 10 shaves out of them and they don't feel dull. The problem is that on about the 7th or 8th shave I cut myself, which I haven't done since my first few shaves. They don't feel "tuggy" dull like a Derby but apparently I am sensing that they are dull and applying too much pressure. I think I need to pitch them after 5-6 shaves.

How many shaves do get from a GSB?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Most DE blades I average about 5-7 shaves per blade so I average it out to (6) shaves per blade & toss. I have had some blades that some life left in them but when I stick to this simple formula I'm happy with results and stick to it.
Most of my SE Gem Personna SS PTFE & Schick Personna injector blades I average it out to (10) and toss and very happy with those blades. If you are getting shaves for $.02-$.03 you are doing very good.
GSB are one of my favorites also and agree they are Sharp & smooth. Fellows who get large # of shaves per blade usually have partial to full beards and are just trimming them up but forget to mention that.
Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I get more than 21 shaves out of a GSB, as a rule, and it is one of the smootest blades out there with a good degree of sharpness. The buttery feel lasts a long time with this blade.
If you gety nicks your technique is of, don't blame the blade.

Gillette Silver Blues are the third blade I have tried in my initial assortment. I have been very impressed with the sharpness, smoothness and longevity of them. I can get 10 shaves out of them and they don't feel dull. The problem is that on about the 7th or 8th shave I cut myself, which I haven't done since my first few shaves. They don't feel "tuggy" dull like a Derby but apparently I am sensing that they are dull and applying too much pressure. I think I need to pitch them after 5-6 shaves.

How many shaves do get from a GSB?
My late brother used to tell me when a blade starts to cut you instead of your whiskers then it is time to change. I think this is what is happening to you. Pitch it after 6.

I can count on two weeks from a GSB, and sometimes push that to four weeks or more. No beard, but I have soft, fine whiskers. Feathers last a week or two. Nacets, a week. Astras, two or three days.

I used the Rockwell 6S almost exclusively for about 9 months (up until this past New Year), and for me, the GSB was king in that razor. I do not have a thick growth, but what I do grow is tough, like electrical wire. My stubble eats blades typically. I could always count on at least 4 quality shaves from a GSB, and sometimes I could get as many as 7 shaves out of one.

Long ago one of my best friends who was a co owner of a very successful hair salon with a wealthy old money client base, some men came in every day for a shave and a clean up and comb, talked me into letting him give me a straight shave. As a friend he was honest with his assessment of my beard which I thought heavier and coarser than average. He said my beard was average and that every man if his beard wasn't painfully obviously thin wrongly thought their beard was heavy.
They only shaved themselves, how can they possibly compare it with others? That long ramble was to point out my experience with a blades longevity is what most men should have and when I used modern blades I would get 3 to 5 shaves from a GSB before noticing a change in feel and could wring out a couple more before noticing a drop in results. I pitched after the 3 or 5.

GSB's are one of my favourite blades allong with the polsilvers plenty sharp/smooth but I do swap them after 4 or 5 shaves max

Chalk this up to "what do I know". Since razor blades are rumored to be the most ymmv part of shaving, I've taken to tracking the razor I use with the razor blade and number of uses (I am not tracking soaps and their potential impact).

I love GSBs, in many ways my top favorite. The longest I've been able to get a good shave — 6 uses. Maybe my technique is terrible, and maybe it's great on shave 8. With this data, I've thought about simply binning the GSB on shave 5 every time. But I haven't and shaves on 6 or 7 remind me that I am not a smart person and crave disappointment.

To me, this is part of the wonderful, personal exploration of wet shaving. If anyone cares, the Dorco Prime Platinum once, but only once, went to 9 for me (my current marathon winner) (usually, it's in the 6-7 range).

Top Bottom