What's new

Gillette Silver Blue longevity

My beard is like cutting copper wire, I have not found a blade that gives me more than three shaves at most, and that includes Silver Blue. I now use nothing but Feather blades. They give me two clean, smooth comfortable shaves per blade.

. As a friend he was honest with his assessment of my beard which I thought heavier and coarser than average. He said my beard was average and that every man if his beard wasn't painfully obviously thin wrongly thought their beard was heavy.
They only shaved themselves, how can they possibly compare it with others? .

Thank you. Reason #214 why I regard blade reviews and surveys as pretty useless.

Oh by the way I have old man whiskers like barbed wire (12.5 gauge, rusty).

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the comments. I have old man wiskers too so my inclination now is to pitch them sooner rather than later and concentrate on getting an enjoyable shave.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

One of wet shaving's great mysteries to me is why people try to get extra longevity out of a blade. They cost at most 15-20 cents apiece.

I chuck my blades after 6 shaves. I'm working on a pack of 100 Parker Premium and the $12 is going to last me 2 years.

It is strictly subjective. Factors are beard toughness, how often do you shave, what cream, brush etc you are using, how many passes. I get 5 3-pass shaves out of a GSB, and that is the maxium I can get with modern blades. Some modern blades give me only 2 shaves – 7 O'clock Super Stainless.

One of wet shaving's great mysteries to me is why people try to get extra longevity out of a blade. They cost at most 15-20 cents apiece.

I chuck my blades after 6 shaves. I'm working on a pack of 100 Parker Premium and the $12 is going to last me 2 years.
Could not agree more.

I am satisfied getting 3 shaves from a blade. Honestly, all I care about is consistency in my shaves. Longevity is way down my list.

Top Bottom