What's new

Gillette Short Comb (SC) admiration

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Storm Trooper arrived today.

In the morning it will leave the launching pad, fully loaded for bear. With what blade I've not decided, but I'm thinking a Russian Gillette Green, or a Yellow, or a Derby Extra, or a Blue Diamond. Not a Feather.

I am excited about this slant. I want to see how rigid it is, and how it shaves. I may put a heavier handle on it, but not until I've given the stock handle a good ride.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My first shave with my Storm Trooper (my first and only slant) was with a Feather. It was the quickest DE shave that I'd had, and BBS too (of course:wink2:). :devil:

Tha thu an duine!

I don't mean that sarcastically, either. I'm way too much of a wimp to use a Feather in this razor right out of the box. It's good to know someone has the stones to go for the gold.

Also, I have found the Feather to be in some respects a very excellent blade. I used to use them in my Feather AS-D2 razor. The shaves were close. The blade is really sharp. However, I got razor burn - not the angry, red, visible kind, but the the subtle aggravating can't get your mind off it kind - from the Feather blade, I think.

Of course, I can get razor burn if my wife holds her mouth wrong when she says good morning.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Interesting that I'm comparing every razor to the NEW SC, when I shave with it, when I think about it, when I think about its design, etc.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Bump for continued admiration of the NEW SC.

After a single ring unexpectedly turned on me and bit - I blame the blade and lack of normal prep - needed a "healing" normal shave or two and switched back to the rhodium NEW SC and a Gillette Silver Blue.

Ahhh. Glass-smooth perfect ATG shave. Why do I have a razor rotation anyways? NEW Short Comb is the best.

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I used mine again the other day with a Polsilver.

I started directly ATG as I always do now and I had no issues whatsoever. It did take me the equivalent of my usual 2 1/2 passes however, just all done ATG.

My Fatip Grande is twice as efficient. Both are comfortable, but I found shaving with the NEW SC I had to slow down a bit from my usual pace with the Grande. The gap in the NEW SC can cause it to bite where the Grande has no gap and never feels like its going to bite me.

Both are really equal in smoothness and comfort, but the Grande shaves me closer, and saves me 1 full pass or more.

After a single ring unexpectedly turned on me and bit

With either a Gillette OLD type or a Fatip, I think your technique really needs to be spot on. Both can be unforgiving as they have no gap, and hence, no warning it will bite.

Now that I'm so use to shaving with my Grande, I could easily shave in the shower blind with my NEW SC and not give it a thought. Not sure I'm up to that with my Grande yet though.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's been months since I've used the Fatip Piccolo, a razor some compare to the NEW. (SC or LC, I don't recall. Anyone?)

I'll have to re-visit it, especially with a GSB- they're good blades.

AA

After a single ring unexpectedly turned on me and bit - I blame the blade and lack of normal prep -

I'd blame blade alignment. If you aren't careful with an Old Type, one side of the blade can protrude further than the other. They were designed for pre-1925 blades; their posts are slightly too small in diameter for consistent alignment with modern blades.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'd blame blade alignment. If you aren't careful with an Old Type, one side of the blade can protrude further than the other. They were designed for pre-1925 blades; their posts are slightly too small in diameter for consistent alignment with modern blades.

A good call.

In this case, it may have also been a rough/poor blade; one that would have flown in a mild razor. No forgiveness in an OLD.

Soap matters. Prep matters. Technique matters. Blade choice matters- if all are right OLD gives you the best shave.

Miss one, and pay. It took me months to learn the first single ring I had ...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Admiration for NEW Short Comb (with correct tab topcap) continues.

Despite a rotation of modern and vintage razors, each time I return to NEW SC I get problem-free against-the-grain shaves. And the soap seems to not matter, though admittedly I don't have any poor ones (in use).

Though this vintage NEW had its gold wash scrubbed off a long time ago, the red brass "copper" looks amazing with the MAAS polish. Black marks do not appear (though I do wipe water off now).

Ahhh.

AA

Admiration for NEW Short Comb (with correct tab topcap) continues.

Despite a rotation of modern and vintage razors, each time I return to NEW SC I get problem-free against-the-grain shaves. And the soap seems to not matter, though admittedly I don't have any poor ones (in use).

Though this vintage NEW had its gold wash scrubbed off a long time ago, the red brass "copper" looks amazing with the MAAS polish. Black marks do not appear (though I do wipe water off now).

Ahhh.

AA
Amen! I love the NEW SC So much that I paid extra money for Delta Echo to coat one of them. The design is so amazing that I'm surprised no one is copying it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Amen! I love the NEW SC So much that I paid extra money for Delta Echo to coat one of them. The design is so amazing that I'm surprised no one is copying it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
F983BB5C-8139-4519-B665-E20CC29615A9.jpeg
C443A3DF-DBF7-413F-9C63-2742C681CD8C.jpeg

Charcoal Goods. The maker openly states his designs are inspired by vintage Gillette’s. He followed the NEW pretty closely, but CNC machined. Supposed to be pretty great shavers.

Gorgeous in rhodium, looks much better in rhodium than gold imho. :thumbup:

Have not tried that type of Gillette yet, I might as well sometime.

Good to know.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Gorgeous in rhodium...

Rhodium is amazing ... whitest metal ever. Cleans right up.

Brass requires maintenance. Gold wash comes off and turns black. There are lots of nickel options and they are probably all-around best ...

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The design is so amazing that I'm surprised no one is copying it.

NEW brass models - seygusrazor

The base plate on the OC head fully supports the blade. Its CNC machined from solid brass and the blade gap is .024" vs the NEW SC gap at .023". I dont see any information regarding blade exposure however and I've read its a shave on the milder side, but havent read anything on the efficiency of them.

These are little discussed razors. They are pricey but worth a look as they're easily in the same area of cost as any of the more popular CNC stainless razors on the market.

Seygus on the left, Wolfman WR1 on the right.

IMG_20161211_153842770.jpg vxkBpLf.png

Notice the similarity in how they both clamp the blade and how the cap mates with the base.

Last edited:
Well gents, the hype is strong with the new short comb. So much so that I finally had to give in and gfet my hands on one. I've been hunting them for a few weeks, and it only took me that long because I'm generally cheap and didn't want to go too far over 20 bucks to buy one.
20171121_173154.jpg 20171121_173321.jpg 20171121_173231.jpg

The case is in miserable shape, but the plating is nearly intact, less a few spots here and there. She's going to get a good cleaning tonight and the maiden voyage shave tomorrow morning.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Well gents, the hype is strong with the new short comb. So much so that I finally had to give in and gfet my hands on one. I've been hunting them for a few weeks, and it only took me that long because I'm generally cheap and didn't want to go too far over 20 bucks to buy one.
View attachment 839165 View attachment 839166 View attachment 839167

The case is in miserable shape, but the plating is nearly intact, less a few spots here and there. She's going to get a good cleaning tonight and the maiden voyage shave tomorrow morning.

A good buy at twice the price!

Top Bottom