What's new

Gillette Short Comb (SC) admiration

The differences are more in the base plate design than the cap. The SC base fully supports the blade even to a point slightly past the end of the cap as the pics from rabidus show if you look closely. The LC base has no where near the support on the base.

SC on the left, LC on the right.

View attachment 814295

View attachment 814296

As you can see, the base plate support on the LC base ends well short of where the blade edge would be. That contributes a great deal to the smoothness mentioned when shaving ATG. The LC I had I gave away as I couldnt get a BBS shave over the two trouble areas I have on my neck, even with a shim. With the SC, it takes the stubble off like it never should have been there in the first place, effortlessly. As it turns out, my nephew that I gave it to also has ATG issues with it and has moved on to a Single Ring that has virtually the same base plate support, without the gap of the SC base.

For a simple eye opening test, load a blade in both your LC and your SC and try to deflect the blade edge downwards towards the comb with a paper clip or something similar. You'll see how much, and how easily, the blade edge will deflect on the LC. Whereas the blade in the SC will feel as though its a part of the razor head itself its so solid. That flex acts like a spring when shaving ATG, and for me, even when shimmed, skipped over the stubble on my trouble areas.

The pictures below are of the caps. SC on the left, LC on the right. Notice the corner tabs and how the tabs on the SC cap lock into the recesses in the base plate vs the LC tabs that only serve to help align the blade.

View attachment 814301

View attachment 814302

Both razors side by side.

View attachment 814303

Other than a Wolfman WR1 razor, I'm not sure theres a DE razor design that holds the blade as securely as the SC does with the proper SC cap.

I just read the entire thread (outstanding info) and had to go check and make sure my NEW SC had the correct top cap...it does!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:001_unsur Did you know we're an impatient bunch Mike? :a13:

I did! It's in another thread, "The Great Dictator's Razor." It's a chopped Gillette New Improved that looks like Hitler's mustache, but is more aggressive.

It's been a month where new razors have piled up faster than I can give them a fair trial ...

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I just read the entire thread (outstanding info) and had to go check and make sure my NEW SC had the correct top cap...it does!

Trying to remember all the info on razors and their differences, the different caps on which razors and where they all belong, which razors they match, it makes me feel like the news reporter in the movie Scanners where his head explodes! LOL

The NEW SC easily gave me a comfortable BBS shave in 2 1/2 passes with the correct SC cap. I just finished a 1 1/2 pass BBS shave with my Fatip...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:lol: My hat's off to you. That is truly BOSC! :letterk1: :laugh:

Now that's high praise! :302:

Many thanks, Cal.

The Dictator is a brutal shaver, but after I switched to a Blue Tip - then back to the NEW SC, it ocurs to me ... After they ALL shaved well ... It's possible I've got better technique now, 30-40 razors and three years into this mess.

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Today was a Gillette New SC and tomorrow will be a Fatip Grande. It will be interesting to see which I like more.

proxy.php

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Today was a Gillette New SC and tomorrow will be a Fatip Grande. It will be interesting to see which I like more.

Just as a comparison, I took some pictures of both my NEW SC and my Fatip Grande highlighting the blade gap.

Grande on the left, NEW SC on the right.

IMG_2111.jpg IMG_2114.jpg

The Grande is the smoother shaver for me and I'm learning I dont like gap.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just as a comparison, I took some pictures of both my NEW SC and my Fatip Grande highlighting the blade gap.

Grande on the left, NEW SC on the right.

View attachment 829115 View attachment 829116

The Grande is the smoother shaver for me and I'm learning I dont like gap.

Your progression is an interesting study. You loved the NEW SC until you tried the Fatip Grande. Since both are rigid razors, it would appear the main difference is exactly what you just said. It is a gap issue, as well as a rigidity issue.

The NEW SC has a pretty small gap, but the Grande has just about zero gap.

I was looking at my Fatip Gentile. It seems to have just about zero gap (probably exactly like your Grande), but I like shaving with the NEW SC better.

The Gentile is fairly rigid, but it is not as rigid as the NEW SC.

The rigidity tests on these razors and others, done by me and others, were recorded somewhere in the Damn Comfortable Shave thread.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ad Astra

The Instigator
After a lot of SC and LC use, going to have to re-visit Piccolo, the only Fatip I have. Heard they compare ...

AA

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm trying to figure out exactly what the factors are that make the NEW SC such a great shaver.

Ideas?

Also, what modern razor most closely compares to the vintage Gillette SC razor?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm trying to figure out exactly what the factors are that make the NEW SC such a great shaver.

Ideas?

Also, what modern razor most closely compares to the vintage Gillette SC razor?

As far as the NEW SC goes, this pretty much says it all for me:

So Wolfman it is. But if the Wolfman is a 10 in rigidity the SC is a 9.8. So there it is

What makes it such an exceptional shaver is exactly that. The extreme rigidity it offers, and the precision it was made with.

I think the design of the comb, along with the shape and smoothness of the teeth in that comb, enhance how it feels against the skin. It really is a great design with very precisely machined base plates. Think about that, 1930 or so they were made, and every sample rabidus measured, all measured the same .023" gap. Tolerances held to .001" and made in the 1930's. Why is that level of precision so expensive and such a challenge these days?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
As far as the NEW SC goes, this pretty much says it all for me:

What makes it such an exceptional shaver is exactly that. The extreme rigidity it offers, and the precision it was made with.

I think the design of the comb, along with the shape and smoothness of the teeth in that comb, enhance how it feels against the skin. It really is a great design with very precisely machined base plates. Think about that, 1930 or so they were made, and every sample rabidus measured, all measured the same .023" gap. Tolerances held to .001" and made in the 1930's. Why is that level of precision so expensive and such a challenge these days?

Good question. I posted a link on Damn Comfortable Shave (post #667) about the quest for a good machine shop (and other things).

I'm sure rigidity and gap are major factors in the shave of the NEW SC, but what about blade exposure, and blade angle, and everything else which goes into the razor. The shape of the cap, and the bottom plate shape, etc.

Not all Wolfman razors are the same, right. I think you're saying the Wolfman WR1? Aside from rigidity, what else does it have in common with the NEW SC?

Also, there are other very rigid razors which don't shave like the NEW SC. No, I'm not discounting rigidity, just looking at other factors.

If the design of the NEW SC is as good as we think it is, it would seem someone would reverse engineer it and make a modern clone, doesn't it? Particularly as the SC becomes more difficult to find, and more expensive.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What about a NEW SC clone, but with a much smaller gap + make the thing into a slant? In some good metal - brass, SS, bronze, titanium - with a good finish and perfect tolerances.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Not all Wolfman razors are the same, right. I think you're saying the Wolfman WR1? Aside from rigidity, what else does it have in common with the NEW SC?

Yes I was referring to the WR 1. Lets have a look... I only own the NEW SC, I dont own the WR 1 and the pictures arent mine.

NEW SC on the left. WR 1 on the right.

IMG_2118.JPG WolfmanWR1.png

IMG_2114.jpg vxkBpLf.png

The only obvious difference I see is the shape of the safety bar vs the comb on the NEW SC.

The overall head profile is similar. Blade angle is similar. The WR 1 appears to have more gap, but thats hard to guess at only looking at pictures.

The WR 1 might have a bit more exposure, but its really had to say.

Visually, they seem pretty close. As I said before, $30 or $300, its your money.

What about a NEW SC clone, but with a much smaller gap + make the thing into a slant? In some good metal - brass, SS, bronze, titanium - with a good finish and perfect tolerances.

You're describing a Fatip slant! Maybe they have one in the works, but I'm not sold on the slant design as a concept. I've never used one however, so my opinion could change.

... I'm not sold on the slant design as a concept. I've never used one however, so my opinion could change.
I felt the same. But the vintage Fasan slants had always intrigued me. Then, out came a copy of one for $20, a no-brainer!
upload_2017-10-16_17-35-59.png

It's my only slant, but I've loved it from the first shave. I even started a brotherhood for it!

Also, being Bakelite it weighs in at a massive 16g. Now that's one great instructor in the use of "pressure." :wink2:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I felt the same. But the vintage Fasan slants had always intrigued me. Then, out came a copy of one for $20, a no-brainer!
View attachment 829448

It's my only slant, but I've loved it from the first shave. I even started a brotherhood for it!

Also, being Bakelite it weighs in at a massive 16g. Now that's one great instructor in the use of "pressure." :wink2:

How could I possibly have known that you, above all others, would especially enjoy that razor when I looked into it and found out about the exposure it offers? :lol:

I admit I am curious about that razor and one may appear on my shelf...

I just got a Fasan clone open comb slant Bakelite last week and the blade exposure looks "scary", but the gap is so close that the whole 3 piece razor with the blade almost looks as though it's a one piece disposable type of razor with the blade built-in especially when you tighten the handle all the way.
I loaded an Astra SP being a medium sharp blade with a 4 day beard growth I was very careful not to use any pressure since the razor was very light it would be easy to apply too much pressure if you get careless and also being used to using heavy razors.
I went for a 2 pass and some touch ups and got a nice DFS.
I finished with Proraso Green aftershave splash and did not get any sting from the alcohol which I usually do when I get a shave this close.
It's a very efficient razor but I believe the lack of any razor burn had a lot to do by being careful not applying any pressure, if I got careless and applied more pressure I would have easily got razor burns or even nicked myself most likely.
I will try this with my other slant razor which is a Merkur 37c and be mindful of the pressure and see if I can get a similar shave without any sting from an alcohol based aftershave, although I only did a 2 pass shave and some touch up, this was one of my longest time I spent shaving since I was extra cautious.
I plan on using the handle from my Gillette open comb fat handle with this razor next time to add some weight to it.
It feels awkward using a razor this lite.

Top Bottom