What's new

Gillette Sheraton

New to me - just arrived in todays' mail. Cleaned up some of the residue & corrosion, then took it for a shave using a 1X used Shark Chrome. It shaves differently than all of my other vintage Gillettes, either open comb or TTO. Seems like I had to ride the cap more than usual. It'll take a couple more shaves to get the feel. Really audible, and first pass would have been sufficient (with minimal clean-up) for work or a day out shopping. It's got the notorious dropped knob, so I guess I need to figger out the right way to fix it before sending it out for a replate.
Sheraton.jpg

My Grail is still an Ambassador, but the Sheraton will do nicely for now.

Grab a piece of wire and wrap it on the groove and twist with a pliers.... it will bend all around and tighten it up again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grab a piece of wire and wrap it on the groove and twist with a pliers.... it will bend all around and tighten it up again

Yeah, I read about that - much simpler than grinding the sharp edge off a tubing cutter. Gotta find some appropriate wire. Will 16 gauge copper wire work or does it need to be steel wire?

Yeah, I read about that - much simpler than grinding the sharp edge off a tubing cutter. Gotta find some appropriate wire. Will 16 gauge copper wire work or does it need to be steel wire?

Try it... it is softer then steel so a little more room for error

I got mine done by Chris Spencer at Back Roads Gold. For comparison my 38 Sheraton and hopefully to give you some inspiration on just how beautiful a gem it will be once she comes back to you! Great razor you have there @ShaverAZ I love mine!
5F2B18E0-B0B3-44DE-842B-AEE4032AC6C8.jpeg

I got mine done by Chris Spencer at Back Roads Gold. For comparison my 38 Sheraton and hopefully to give you some inspiration on just how beautiful a gem it will be once she comes back to you! Great razor you have there @ShaverAZ I love mine!
View attachment 1049380
BEAUTEAOUS!!

Chris will be doing mine, also. I've done business with Chris several times in the past & he's also in Arizona (Barely). He's also a part-time prospector, so it wouldn't surprise me that some of his work is done with Arizona gold. I have The Sheraton, a New LC, and a Pre War Fat Handle to send him for plating, soon.

Try it... it is softer then steel so a little more room for error

Steel paper clip wire was a loser - broke when I twisted the ends together & before I could get any tension on it. brass wire was too soft & just stretched. Copper wire was stiffer & finally worked just enough to keep the knob in place before it also broke from twisting.

BEAUTEAOUS!!

Chris will be doing mine, also. I've done business with Chris several times in the past & he's also in Arizona (Barely). He's also a part-time prospector, so it wouldn't surprise me that some of his work is done with Arizona gold. I have The Sheraton, a New LC, and a Pre War Fat Handle to send him for plating, soon.
@ShaverAZ I have two gold New LC/SC and a Rhodium New SC by him also. The three gold babies are from his stash of gold Sir! Chris is good people and I’ve even picked up a case with blade bank for my 46-47 A’crat. If he’s local go for it!

View attachment 1049380
That looks really nice. I think I prefer 18k gold to 24k gold. It looks more like the Gillette goldwash that these razors came with. It seems to have a warmer tone.

That looks really nice. I think I prefer 18k gold to 24k gold. It looks more like the Gillette goldwash that these razors came with. It seems to have a warmer tone.
@juno I have quite a few razors and I agree that if you replate you want to keep it in the same ballpark...but the gold ones I got from Chris? They simply blind you when they come out for the SOTD. I have nothing that compares to their brilliance. Period.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The gold wash on vintage Gillettes had a varnish over it to protect it, which is what affected the colour. You can see how the varnish dried between the teeth of the comb in NIB LC I had.

IMG_1122.JPG

@juno I have quite a few razors and I agree that if you replate you want to keep it in the same ballpark...but the gold ones I got from Chris? They simply blind you when they come out for the SOTD. I have nothing that compares to their brilliance. Period.
In am pretty sure he uses 18k gold for that reason. It has the warmer look of the original finish.

On his etsy page he specifically mentions 18k gold to retain the original look. Not to say that some are not done in 24k as well.

On his etsy page he specifically mentions 18k gold to retain the original look. Not to say that some are not done in 24k as well.
Well that is a new thing because mine were all done in 24k. Still his quality of work is fantastic.

Top Bottom