What's new

Gillette Shave Club

It does me heart good to see the amount of people that comment on Gillette's post about their shave club on Facebook saying "$5 per cartridge? I get 100 blades for $10!" They're just trying to stay relevant. Dollar Shave Club has them beat on the cartridge front and they know it.

The fine print made me laugh.

(*BASED ON 3 TO 4 SHAVES PER WEEK.
**APPLIES ONLY TO CERTAIN RETAILERS. SEE RETAILER PLAN FOR DETAILS.
†PRICING IS AT THE SOLE DISCRETION OF THE INDIVIDUAL RETAILER. PRICES MAY VARY.)

The prices aren't guaranteed and you get 12 to 16 shaves out of one cartridge. Even if had to pay $1.00 per Feather blade I use, I'd still save money since get 14 shaves out of one blade.

I have seen a few web adds for it. Looks like they're just trying to jump on the mail order band wagon with the Dollar Shave Club and Harry's.

Still not much cheaper.

Gillette and P&G have forever stained their relationship with their customers. In times of hard recession, when customers continuously complained about extreme high prices (and even a UK insider claimed that gillette makes a markup of over 4000% per cartridge), gillette carried on with its bullying and ultimately to its own bad marketing. On facebook note of gillette on shave club, you will see more unappreciative and hilarious comments. Some even said that gillette always compares apples with oranges :tongue_sm. And one comment (which gillette deleted) said that gillette's quality over quantity motto won't work on this generation like it did with the previous :thumbup1:. Some comments literally tagged harry's and DSC and thanked them for good quality at reasonable price and also got their reply comment from these clubs on this very post (imagine the frustration gillette will be going through). I like this smart transition of cartridge customers from gillette to DSC and harry's . It will teach P&G and gillette a real good lesson.

Last edited:
About $3.90 per "Classic" cartridge? Snerk. I pay well under a dollar per month for DE blades, and my last DE razor cost less than a 12 pack of Fusion cartridges.

In the meantime, P&G/Gillette continues to license its name around the world for Gillette DE razor blades sold under the brand name and others, along with some cheap DE safety razor. I've written P&G and asked why would it be so difficult to issue a line of their old DE safety razors, manufactured in the USA with the same specs and the same materials used 50+ years ago. I pointed out that they have to know the renaissance that's taken place in the world of wet shaving (even the NY Times covered it last November), and how fast an early edition of the razors would sell out. Obviously, they would be competing against themselves with their huge cartridge markup, but I don't think they would lose much of that market. I'm having a tough time convincing friends who've been shaving for decades with cartridges or electric shavers to make the switch.

It would similar to selling old Beatles catalogue product. There's always a hardcore fan who will be every release in every configuration (even vinyl), and the same would go for safety razors.

I think we've all got to email P&G en masse and not customer service but the top execs in charge of merchandising. It's not difficult to find all the names and the email syntax.

Top Bottom