What's new

Gillette Service Set

Just found one of the 1917 Gillette service sets in the metal case with purple interior. It's in really good shape, and I hope I picked up a good deal at $20. (opinions welcome)

I plan to clean up the razor and its kit, and if it shaves well, begin to use it as my travel razor.

Advice for me to keep in mind, or opinions? This will be my first cleaning and restoration project, but I have been reading the general cleaning and disinfecting threads...

Does a particular brand of razor blade work any better with the older razors, or is it like asking what type of tobacco works best in an older pipe?! :blush:

Thanks in advance for your responses

Steve P

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you ask 100 people what's the best blade around here, you'll get 100 answers, all different.

The one thing everyone will tell you that is the same is that you have to find the one that works best for you. That's why the phrase "get a sampler pack" is probably the most used phrase on this board.

Well, except for maybe "what a great guy that Luvmysuper is!!"

Steve, I would clean it up and take it for a few spins and see how you like it. I would start with Scrubbing Bubbles and a soft toothbrush. Spray it down and let it soak, use a soft toothbrush and scrub gently. Respray and scrub as needed. Some will advise boiling, but I have never had to do that. As a service set, I would tend to keep it as original as possible. But the choice is yours. If you can post some pictures it would be most helpful. :wink: As far as blades, I would probably go with a blade sampler. Everyone has their favorite and can't be convinced that there is a better blade. Some use different blades in different razors, some combos seem to work better together for some people.

Last edited:
Some people like to use a "shim" with modern DE razors in an Old Type Gillette because the original three hole blades were thicker than contemporary ones. I have never done this, but you need to pay attention when you tighten the razor down to make sure the blade is even on both sides because there is a little bit of play.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have an old type and any modern blade will fit, no issues there.

+1 on even exposure. For some reasons, I don't have that problem with the Hoffritz!

Please post some pictures before/after!

I'm hardly the photographer, but I have often wanted to post photos of my fountain pens on another blog (pentrace.net) and have never done so. Maybe this will be my first photo project, with a before and after of the service set!

Is there a "shim" thread out there, or can you explain further how a person would "shim" this razor?

I am a rank beginner, so I will begin with a Derby blade. It's the only DE blade I've used, and I haven't cut myself yet. :001_smile

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm hardly the photographer, but I have often wanted to post photos of my fountain pens on another blog (pentrace.net) and have never done so. Maybe this will be my first photo project, with a before and after of the service set!

Is there a "shim" thread out there, or can you explain further how a person would "shim" this razor?

I am a rank beginner, so I will begin with a Derby blade. It's the only DE blade I've used, and I haven't cut myself yet. :001_smile

I wouldn't use a shim but if you want to try it...

From what I read, you would need to cut the edges from a used blade so the blade is a bit shorter than the cap. Normally, you would put the shime under to create a more aggressive gap (plate-shim-blade-cap). Some put the shim on top to have a milder shave.

I also saw some rubbers used to shim but I wouldn't know how thick or where to get those...

I am unsure if there's a specific thread on the subject but again, works fine without a shim.

Thanks, Luc.

Think I'll try without first, and consider it if the razor gives me problems without one...

Steve,

Those sets are great to look at...you've got to post before/after pics for sure mate!

I just picked up a WWI service khaki set myself in pretty good shape...all I'm missing is the sleeve the mirror comes in!

I have some major projects at work in the next week, but intend to post photos by the end of the month. Maybe we can develop a new thread on the Service Sets...

Last edited:
For the cleaning, I guess it depends on its state.
Just one thing, remember that the box is plated, so if there's any rusting (this cases suffer from rusting) be careful when trying to remove it. I would suggest to go slow (even with a toothpick, I did that on my case, that had only one rust spot).
After that, maybe some scrubbing bubbles, and polish. This set polishes nicely.

here are a couple of pictures of my set

proxy.php

proxy.php

I wouldn't use a shim but if you want to try it...

From what I read, you would need to cut the edges from a used blade so the blade is a bit shorter than the cap. Normally, you would put the shime under to create a more aggressive gap (plate-shim-blade-cap). Some put the shim on top to have a milder shave.

I also saw some rubbers used to shim but I wouldn't know how thick or where to get those...

I am unsure if there's a specific thread on the subject but again, works fine without a shim.

I know we're talking about safety razors, but isn't that going a little too far?

(sorry, bad joke)

Remember, it's not just shaving with the razor, but it's shaving with every one else who shaved with the razor... :ohmy:

That looks like a steal for the price. What does the lining on the inside look like?

The interior is in pretty good shape, only missing a bit of the painting on the diamond where Gillette is written.
Although that's my set, for which I paid a bit more than U$20 actually I paid 26 pounds if I remember correctly. But Is well worth it.

Gorgeous Set Ozzy!

Thanks mate! is really nice indeed.

When I got it, it wasn't as shinny or clean as it is, but is took almost no effort to get to the present state.

I'm in the process of getting the book that you could buy to tell the ranks in the army. (As far as I know, well according to Gillette, it was the perfect present for the soldiers).

But thinking of the book, it makes me sad to think about all those young man who went into war.

Top Bottom