What's new

Gillette Serial Number Anomaly - Dating issue

Alex, I am very thankful for your input, and only wish that another like it would show up; or if not that, then some historical document from that time explaining how variations of numbers and letters on these early razors could have overlapped. It is still a great shaving tool, which I used again today, with a feather blade. I think the person I purchased this from is a member of one of these shaving sites. Another thing that further complicates the history of this item, is the U.S. Pat. and the known Canadian location of it, since it appeared on The Bay. I would actually feel more at ease if this had an A or a B on the inner barrel. I would then realize that I purchased a mixed set, and been had. With this strange looking C, I really don't know what to think. Oh well, it is still a good looking and highly functional Antique.

That "C" definitely does look more in keeping with Gillette's Boston serial number stamps, for what that's worth. Makes me wonder if this might be an example of them trying to keep track of market segmentation, say by prefixing the serial numbers for a batch of razors that were bound for distribution in Canada. If it were a regular practice, though, I would think that we'd have seen other examples like this before or ones from other markets.

But who knows? For every discovery there's always a first example...

$IMG_0657.jpg$IMG_0658.jpg$IMG_0659.jpg$IMG_0660.jpg$IMG_0661.jpgHi Alex; I just got another 1905 Single Ring Razor, with an even earlier date. I am hoping this too can be placed on the Early Single Ring Shave Wiki. The date code on this is 314832. I just finished cleaning it up, as it was in quite vintage shape, due to a lot of tarnish and dirt. This turned out to be another beautiful piece of Rare Early Shaving History, that was probably used sparingly and discarded for 108 years or so. Here are the pictures.

I picked up a nice 1906 Gillette Single Ring Set a couple of weeks ago, and I am really not sure where to post the pictures of this. I hope posting them here is Okay. The date code of this razor is 617521. Here are a couple of the pictures.$IMG_0662.jpg$IMG_0664.jpg$IMG_0665.jpg$IMG_0666.jpg$IMG_0667.jpg

Tom, I replied to your PM, but it says that you can accept PM's

Mark1966G306068Gold Single Ring
eBay sighting308091Single Ring
quailrunnerG308151Gold Single Ring (engraved)
eBay sighting319510Single Ring
TommyG314832Single Ring
BroJohn320776Single Ring
GB5324834Single Ring

Last edited:
Thank you very much Alex! I forgot to mention that I was fortunate enough to have shaved with both these razors. Like you, and other members, I really cannot wait until my next shave!

Last edited:
Hi Guys; I just came into possession of a 1904 serial # 39488 Gillette Double Ring Razor. The price I got it for was more than fair, compared to some of the lesser ones that went for a lot more. I am hoping that Alex, or someone can place this on the list. On the pictures, I have added blade banks and my Gillette Way Booklet from my other "Controversial" Double Ring. I would like to obtain the correct blade banks whenever possible for this 1904 Set. Also I wonder if the "Gillette Way" booklet for this period, ever came in any other colors other than Green. The razor seems to be in very good condition for being 110 years old.

Here are some photos of another 1904 Gillette Double Ring that I acquired a couple of weeks ago. The date code is 38146.

I do realize that for serious collectors these 110 and 100 yr old plus razors, should be left in original vintage condition. I did however; sterilize, and carefully clean the razors listed on my two or so pages here. The reason I do this is because I shave with each and every one of them. (thanks to sites like B&B I also properly care for them) I have been wet shaving for over 50 years, and love to do so especially, with these rare pieces of shaving history. Yesterday, I used the latest one I posted, and could not help but think that this razor was first owned by someone who would have been at least 125 years of age or older today. The razor did cost $5.00 at the time, (a very hefty sum in 1904) so it is unlikely that a 15 year old then could have afforded to purchase it. This would most likely negate the first date of 125 years. It is so nice to know that if you own and, do like to shave with these antique objects of beauty, all you need to do is insert a modern double edge blade in it. Thanks to this site, and people I have come to know, I try to achieve a little more knowledge , and appreciation of the early shaving industry.

I do realize that for serious collectors these 110 and 100 yr old plus razors, should be left in original vintage condition. I did however; sterilize, and carefully clean the razors listed on my two or so pages here. The reason I do this is because I shave with each and every one of them.

+1
I was at a car show once. When a particularly nice Camaro drove by, I noticed a sticker in the window.
"If this car is on a trailer, please report it stolen"

I've found the condition of most of my razors actually improves with use, and proper care.

It's like a told a man at an antique show the other day. He was talking about his son (looked to be about 10) playing with the vintage battery powered tin toys he (the son) collected. I told him, if you don't use them, the motors lock up. Him playing with them is the best way to preserve them.

I do realize that for serious collectors these 110 and 100 yr old plus razors, should be left in original vintage condition. I did however; sterilize, and carefully clean the razors listed on my two or so pages here. The reason I do this is because I shave with each and every one of them.

+1 I shave with most of my razor except a few.

Top Bottom