What's new

Gillette Sensor Excel vs Mach 3

Yesterday I used my Mach 3 due to time, and today I used my Sensor Excel due to back pain (didn't want to stand there long enough for my usual Sunday 3-pass DE shave). On both days I used my standard hurry-up face prep. This allowed me to compare the two.

I had thought the Sensor Excel gave better shaves that the Mach 3. Today confirmed it. Would put it on par with a 2-pass DE. The Mach 3 is roughly on par with a 1-pass DE, but less comfortable. The Sensor Excel gave a more comfortable shave than the Mach 3. Given the choice between the Sensor Excel and the Mach 3, it's the Sensor Excel hands down.

Here's what I think is going on:

Both the Sensor Excel and Mach 3 cartridge uses the same blades. Both have the fins to (in theory) stretch the skins. Both have lubrication strips. There are two significant differences:

1. Hinge mount point. With the Sensor it's in the middle of the sides of the cartridge. With the Mach 3, it's at the bottom of the sides.

2. The Sensor cartridge is narrower.

Both of these means that more pressure is applied to the center of the cartridge with the Sensor, midway between the two blades. With the Mach 3, it's at the base. While you can apply pressure with a Mach 3, I don't think it's as efficient. Due to both the design and the width of the cartridge, the effect may be less pressure at the blades than the Sensor. You can, of course, bear down with the Mach 3, but you will increase irritation. I wasn't conscious of bearing down with the Sensor. Also, the Mach 3 has one extra blade, which will increase irritation.

The cynical part of me this morning had me thinking "No wonder Gillette is undercutting Sensor Excel prices in the US with the Mach 3 prices." Fortunately, I can still find the cartridges, reasonably priced, online.

This also might give a window into the past, and I'm tempted to try an Atra cartridge (have an off-brand handle that will hold them) to compare it. Keep in mind that 1-pass DE and SE shaves were the norm when the double edge razor came on the market. What I got with 1-pass from the Sensor beat 1-pass from a DE. Ironically. if the Mach 3 design had hit the market first, everyone might still be using DE, SE, or SE disposables.

Sensor is definitely better than M3 (and much cheaper) IMO of course. Ive been wanting to give an Astra a try for a while now.

I always preferred the "plain" (non-Excel) Sensor to the Excel version. The originals had a metal bar, the current ones have a rigid plastic one. I loved that these were as maneuverable around the upper lip and nose as a Tech, and I loved the closeness of the shave. I always preferred the two blade to the three.

All sensors now being priced at or more than the base Mach 3, I have reluctantly transitioned over to Mach 3. I find the shave as close as a Sensor, once I adjusted to the different pivot point.

I still have some Sensor blades (3), some BIC Metals (10), and some Schick ST2 (16) in the drawer, but Mach 3 is now my travel razor of choice.

Still do love my Sensor, though!

Of both mach 3 and exel sensor, what shave closer and faster?
I have a heavy + dense beard

I haven't used a mach 3 in a long time but the sensor is very fast...but I have to go over a few places twice where the beard grows in a weird direction (probably not noticeable to anyone but me though). The mach 3 has a greater "aftermarket" though if you want a fancy handle etc. Also, not sure how much the mach 3 blades are but sensor blades are available for $1 each on eBay.

I have both razors and find the Mach3 to be the most forgiving of mistakes and the Sensor to be the most efficient. The Sensor is better on several days growth so that would be a better choice if you have a coarse beard.
I also have a Fusion which gives a better shave but it's a big clumsy thing and the cartridges are expensive. My SE & DE razors are no longer being used as they don't work as well for me.
Still have a straight razor that i want to master :)

Gillette offers a "free" disposable sensor in a pack of 5 Gillette 2 (I suppose these are called goodnews in USA), have to say not a bad shave. 3 blade Sensors are called Blue3 over here, but I'm not 100% sure. There is both diaposable and cartridge version, and stores keep both but 3 blade are sold as blue 3 and twin blade cartridges are sold under the name sensor.

If I have to choose I'd choose mach 3 (regular).

Best 3 blade razor for me is wilkinson sword extra 3 sensitive, great handle ergonomics, head is detachable so I can put it in a recycling bin.

Last edited:
Of both mach 3 and exel sensor, what shave closer and faster?
I have a heavy + dense beard
I use both these razors and I like them both. I have a light beard myself, but my sense is the mach 3 would work better with a heavy beard because it has more space between the blades so it's very easy to keep those spaces clear of clogs. Unless money is super tight, I'd give them both a try and then buy refills for the one you like the best. Carts are less than $2 each if you buy a 10 pack from Walmart or Amazon. Carts last me several weeks.

Speed-wise, any one-pass shave using the same face prep and lather is going to take about the same length of time. I'm still reaching for the Sensor for quick shaves when pressed for time because I like the results better than the Mach 3 and Fusion.

As to which is best for what type of beard ... impossible to say. That depends on the person.

Will comment that I tried a Gillette twin blade disposable with pivot head, and did not get the same results as with a sensor.

Never tried the Sensor and I probably won't b/c the Mach 3 works very well for me. And the refills are relatively cheap, at least when compared to the Fusion Proglide.

I have both the original Sensor and Atra handles and to be honest I don't notice any difference in the quality of the shaves. I use Personna carts in the Atra and believe they are better than Korean Gillette Atra carts. Walmart sells the Gillette sensor excel carts for about $1.10 online and $2.40 in the store, if that makes any sense. The excel carts will disappear before the trac II or Atra since head shavers use them, and both were around longer than the Sensor with more sold. All I ever got from the Mach 3 was razor bumps and ingrown hairs as the blades age. The issue may be moot since I'm getting faster with the DE

I thought I had a Sensor handle in my collection but it seems to have disappeared. The carts are excellent, but I'm set for cartridge systems right now; the Trac II and Bic Flex 5 have me covered pretty well.

2blade sensor vs mach3 wich does cloggg easier? i only do have mach3 and meny DE razors.
I haven't had problems with either razor clogging, but if you have thick facial hair, the Mach 3 might be a better choice for you because you can rinse water through the razor and flush the blades more easily.

Top Bottom