What's new

Gillette Sensor Excel is actually good

I agree that the Sensor Excel was the last good cart razor that Gillette did. When it became the Sensor 3 is when all the troubles began IMHO. I almost regret throwing my Sensor handle away.

Pick up the Boots brand 2-blade razor if you ever do find yourself in need of a cartridge for some reason. 10 Sensor Excel carts = 8.99 GBP. 10 Boots brand carts = 3.20.

It's a cheap handle, but the blades are good. I use it when I travel.

-Andy

Last edited:
Thats funny, thats actually the first razor I ever bought/used when I was a kid. Though my favorite was always the Mach 3, but the damn cartridge prices are just OUT of control. Thats the main reason I decided to go with straights and DE's.

If you would like to use Sensor Excel razors, you can use them with Blue 3 handles. That's what I do. They are 100% compatible.

I also use carts when traveling by air and my go to for that is a Mach 3. But I've heard lots of people rave about the Gillette Guard, their latest single blade cart. I have a pretty good supply of Mach 3 cartridges left over from my pre-DE days but I am intrigued enough to buy a Guard to see how it compares to the M3. It is possible it could replace the M3 as my air travel razor.

I've used a Sensor Excel with Great Razor Cryo cartridge for many years for traveling virtually everywhere where I don't take my Mergress XL or Feather AC RG. In fact, I started using the original Sensor Razor when it first came out which is so long ago I can't remember when. The SE is a classic that gives an excellent shave... in no time, plus it's small, slim and compact, perfect for traveling.

I just checked the bottom of one of my bathroom drawers because I knew I had an unopened Gillette trial pack of something. Turns out it's a Sensor Excel with a package date of 1993. I also saw a Mach 3 handle which I must have used at some point in the past. Gillette used to send out trial packs like these but I haven't received any in a couple decades.

Now, I'm curious...

Just looked it up... the Sensor Razor was introduced in 1990. Prior to that I was using the Trac II Razor that went back to my college days in early 70's.

What I've liked about the Sensor Excel is the spring loaded cartridge, it glides across the skin effortlessly. Plus the small head and slim design... packs away easily for traveling.

It doesn't shave as close as my Mergress XL or Feather AC... but for what it does, coupled with the Cryo Cartridge, it shaves very darn close, smoothly and it lasts a very long time. As far as cartridge razors go for traveling, the Sensor Excel is highly recommended.
20170912_131936.jpg

I never understood why you should use a modern razor while "in a rush",everytime that I use a disposable or cartridge razor ,because of the ridiculous airline rules,it takes me considerably longer to shave in comparison with my trusty DE (at least 7 minutes compared to the 4-5 minutes that the wider blade gap and less cloging of the DE allows me to get since 1980).

I never understood why you should use a modern razor while "in a rush",everytime that I use a disposable or cartridge razor ,because of the ridiculous airline rules,it takes me considerably longer to shave in comparison with my trusty DE (at least 7 minutes compared to the 4-5 minutes that the wider blade gap and less cloging of the DE allows me to get since 1980).
Maybe it's due to tehnique.
I use disposable/cartridge on a trip, after swimming and sometimes in a hurry, by that I mean shaving under the shower. Well Superspeed does have a great grip but I feel more safer with some rubber on my razor

Sensors were what I started out with as a teenager, and I continued to use them on and off well into my 20's. I'd still consider using them today if they hadn't shot up to $26 for a pack of 10.

I'd still consider using them today if they hadn't shot up to $26 for a pack of 10.

That seems quite over priced. Not sure in which region of the world you are, @bwc1976 , but they seem to be available for around $15 US both in the US and in the UK (12 GBP).

For some reason, they are quite cheap in Japan. It looks like I can get a pack of 10 for under $10. That's a better deal than Merkur DE blades. :p It's unusual because most everything else is so much more expensive over here.

Sensor handles have been discontinued over here for the best par of a year i think, although you can still buy packs of the blades.

If you want a decent 2 blade Gillette cart razor thats cheap enough then look into buying the Vector from ebay, its the indian version of what was the contour over here.

I buy the blades and use my original all metal contour handle.

I'm in the U.S. Where did you see them for $15?

I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this here, but I see them on Amazon US for around that price for a pack of 10.

If you don't mind getting in bulk, I can see 5 x pack of 10, for $64, which comes to about $13 per pack of 10.

Top Bottom