What's new

Gillette Sensor Excel is actually good

I used a DE for 5 months exclusively. I get DFS shaves nearly all the time.
Recently, due to circumstances, I opted for the Gillette Sensor Excel.
First time, I was a bit drunk in the morning :blushing:, and needed a shave. I lathered with TOBS Avocado and shaved with the Sensor. A very nice shave!
Today, I was in a rush so I face lathered with Speick stick and used the sensor. A DFS shave again!

Compared to a DE, it cuts just a bit shorter.
But it does a better job near the chin. Plus, you can do 2 passes in 5 minutes!

I was pleasantly surprised to see the Sensor performing that well:thumbup1:
Probably if I start using it again on a daily basis, I will end up with some bump at neck area. That was the reason I tried a DE razor in the first place..

But the Sensor is a good razor to use when in a rush, or for traveling:thumbup1:

I still use cartridges...actually last night I did as I had to quickly shave.

I have been using the Sensor Excel for years. I combine its use with a Fusion power (now have the Proglide power too) and I get wicked BBS. :thumbup1: I find the Fusion blades tough to get in around my nose area...so I use the Sensor for that. Anyway, I find I get closer shaves with a cartridge (with no ingrowns, etc.) My only issue is that the blades only last for about 3+ shaves for me then they start pulling. So the costs add up quickly. :thumbdown Plus I feel that I have to press on the razor to get a decent shave...that can leads to irritation along my neck line. I had limited/few issues with cartridge shaving.

My only caveat is...I have never been able to shave back to back days with a cartridge. Recently I found that a DE with a new Feather can allow me to shave back to back days if need be. :001_wub:

Gillette make pretty good razors generally, the sensor was quite good and even the M3 could have been worse - I haven't tried a fusion.

My preference for DE razors is mainly cost based (but I do also think the shave is slightly better), having said that, I wouldn't have a problem using a sensor or M3 if I didn't have a DE available (ie. travelling or something).

Time isn't a factor for me I don't find cartridges any faster than DE's.

If you're happy paying Gillette $4 per cartridge, go for it.

Yup...Sensor is doing very good job when you're in a hurry. I use it sometimes just to remind myself what ordinary people shave with. :)

I used a DE for 5 months exclusively. I get DFS shaves nearly all the time.
Recently, due to circumstances, I opted for the Gillette Sensor Excel.
First time, I was a bit drunk in the morning :blushing:, and needed a shave. I lathered with TOBS Avocado and shaved with the Sensor. A very nice shave!
Today, I was in a rush so I face lathered with Speick stick and used the sensor. A DFS shave again!

Compared to a DE, it cuts just a bit shorter.
But it does a better job near the chin. Plus, you can do 2 passes in 5 minutes!

I was pleasantly surprised to see the Sensor performing that well:thumbup1:
Probably if I start using it again on a daily basis, I will end up with some bump at neck area. That was the reason I tried a DE razor in the first place..

But the Sensor is a good razor to use when in a rush, or for traveling:thumbup1:

When travelling via airplane I tend to lean on the use of either a Trac II, Atra or Sensor.. The Sensor is in my opinion that the last best cartridge razor which Gillette released. I know that YMMV and it applies here but I would rate the Trac II, Atra and Sensor as my goto razors when travelling on an airplane when I cannot use my DE/SE razors.

When I used a cart that's the one I used.
I find nothing wrong about it at all.
The beast with 5 blades on the other hand.......:thumbdown

I agree that the Sensor Excel was the last good cart razor that Gillette did. When it became the Sensor 3 is when all the troubles began IMHO. I almost regret throwing my Sensor handle away.

I agree that the Sensor Excel was the last good cart razor that Gillette did. When it became the Sensor 3 is when all the troubles began IMHO. I almost regret throwing my Sensor handle away.

I don't know what the availability is of the Sensor handle in the U.K, but we can still get them here in Canada at certain stores for about $8.00. However, i do notice that the stores have a limited supply.

I always considered the Sensor to be the best of the cartridge razors. If I were to use a CR, (...and I don't see that happening) it would be the two-blade Sensor. The M3 seemed oversized and clumsy. I never could get a decent shave with the Fusion.

-- John Gehman

I don't know what the availability is of the Sensor handle in the U.K, but we can still get them here in Canada at certain stores for about $8.00. However, i do notice that the stores have a limited supply.

You can still get them here too. Not that I want one. If I ever had to travel I would just buy a pack of Gillette Blue II disposables.

I used the Sensor when it first came out in 1990 or 1991, thats about the time I started shaving. I like the Mach3 and TracII for my carts now.

Sensor was the first razor I ever used 20 years ago. was the beginning of neck bumps and ingrown hairs. took 20 years and a DE to get rid of it.

no thanks

From March to June I mostly used a Sensor blade. The shaves were consistently comfortable, and I believe I used the same cartridge for the whole 3 month duration. I still have it loaded and used it the other day.

I've never really had a problem with cartridges.. I actually like shaving with my fusion every now and again. It's just interesting.. Although I would always choose my DE if forced to choose between. I went to traditional wetshaving because I found it by accident.

The Sensor was certainly a good evolutionary step in cartridge systems. Many consider it the best of breed for cartridges, although the Mach 3 was also fine in my book. However, my preference is still for DE razors as it doesn't take me much, if any, more time to shave with a DE and I get less irritation.

Last edited:
There are times when I am too lazy to do perhaps a third pass with a DE, so I use either a Sensor or M3 for those quick buffs on my chin or along my jaw line but only after at least two DE passes, WTG and XTG. Just too expensive for me to use on a daily basis and just don't provide me with an overall satisfactory shave.

Top Bottom