What's new

Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus

Best blade for me, and I'm a BIG RUSSIAN fan, I've got tons and tons of different blades. Rapira Lux was my favorite but these blew them out of water, blew every blade out of water

Yes, genuine. Had the cellophane wrapper...

I believe the ones wrapped in cellophane are fakes. Mine are w/o and quite frankly it's the best blade I have ever used, bar none. Perhaps someone who knows more will correct me, but Gillette doesn't cellophane wrap blades to the best of my knowledge. Maybe you fellas got screwed with fake blades.

The pack I have had the cellophane wrapping. But, it was a single pack included with a Rubie razor. So perhaps packaged differently for sale with the razor?

I received my 2nd order of 100 today after only 10 days from Russia (with love). :thumbup: I only paid $21.50 shipped!! He only had 300 and they were gone in a flash. I am done buying new blades for the foreseeable future as I have circa. 1,000+ of various types & NOS classics.

Rubie might just not be for my face

My first shave with it felt mediocre compared to feather and other blades, but i didnt make quick judgement then, and waited until i tried it for the second time.

I had a shave with rubie today, with my usual setup using cella soap over noxzema.

Shave itself felt very comfortable, did 3 pass and touch ups. Felt okay until i rinsed my face.

When i was applying asbalm, i noticed there were a lot more stubble left on the face and neck despite having done more than enough passes. Neck almost feels as if it has been 5 hours after shave. It feels scruffy almost.

I will have to see how the 2nd and 3rd shave will be and if its mediocre again, i might have to trade them for something that works for my face.

That's a lot of gunk for a blade to slice through. Skip the Noxema next time and concentrate on technique.

I actually skipped it for a week, and had slightly worse shave than with it, so i stuck with using it.

I will definitely come back and try again for better result, but i couldnt believe it when i felt those stubbles on my jawline and carotid artery area because i was pretty thorough with touch ups and not.

Clearly, i am trying to like this blade, but just not getting the result.

Will report back in a few weeks after trying it with a slant.

First shave this morning with the Rubie. I ordered 10 from an Ebay vendor who live in Virginia. I expected 2 tucks of 5 blades, but he send 10 individual blades. To tell you the truth, I was worried. The individual packets were high quality. Strong printing. Nothing that said, "made in China." The blades themselves were double packed with the wax paper wrapping on the inside. There were the usual wax glue dots but they were slightly different than what I was used to. If I remember correctly, my Russian blades have wax dots on both sides of the blade. These only had the dots on one side, the underside.

As I said, I was a bit worried.

My preferred blade is the Polsilver SI with the Nacet and Gillette OC Black not far behind. I did half a shave this morning with a Polsilver and then switched to the Rubie. To my very pleasant surprise, the blade was quite good. Sharp and smooth with very nice audible feedback. For me, it is easy to identify a bad blade with one shave. Figuring out just how good a blade is takes a bit more time. The Rubie is off to a great start. Now it is time to do some serious comparison shaves.

Never Kick a Cow Chip on a Hot Day.
-Will Rogers-

I just got 200 Rubie Platinum Plus blades off Ebay (what, doesn't everyone sample blades in 200 quantity?). My first shave was this morning in my Merkur slant, and if they stay like this, I've found a new favorite blade!

Easily the smoothest shave I've had on a first shave. I like other Russian blades, but I'm really impressed with this one. I'll have to see how the longevity goes.

I just got 200 Rubie Platinum Plus blades off Ebay (what, doesn't everyone sample blades in 200 quantity?). My first shave was this morning in my Merkur slant, and if they stay like this, I've found a new favorite blade!

Easily the smoothest shave I've had on a first shave. I like other Russian blades, but I'm really impressed with this one. I'll have to see how the longevity goes.

200? Are you kidding.
I get 1000 at a time.

I had my first go around with a Rubie in my red tip yesterday and today. and I have to say that I really like them. Very smooth shave and no irritation. I have been using Rapiras and polsilvers but I may be ordering some more of these.

Better than Rapira Super Stainless and Gilette Platinum for me. They are $0.94/five-pack in Russia and are widely available in almost every store. I was very sceptical about them, until I tried them this morning. People reported irritation and agressiveness, but I guess, YMMV. Very comfy on WTG & XTG passes in every area. Descent performance on ATG pass and touch ups on my face, but not on my neck - two nicks, but overall, no irritation. The face feels relaxed and smooth. Definitely a go-to blade for a ridiculous price.

Is there a difference between the blades in boxes marked "plus" only and those marked "Platinum Plus"? Just curiosity as I have enough of the Plus marked ones to last me a long time. They seem to be giving me about 80 good shaves each at the moment, will know for sure sometime next summer.

Attachments

• ys43zFK.jpg
    ys43zFK.jpg
    991.9 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom