What's new

Gillette Rocket Parat

I won an auction on the bay for Gillette Rocket Parat model in what looks to be almost mint condition.

I'll post pics up when it arrives.

In the meantime, I've been trying to date the razor but with no luck.

I've seen some very informative posts in various forums about the Rocket range from the UK which includes info on the Parat but nowhere can I find years of manufacture.

I was first thinking that it must be late 40's early 50's as it is pretty much the same shape/style as a US 40's SS. IN some other posts people are saying they may be late 50's or 60's.

If anyone knows or can point me in the right direction I'd be truly grateful.

The best we can tell, as far as I am aware, is that they're from the late 50s ... They're very nice razors. I have had a few, sold a couple and kept this one:

$CAM01019.jpg
$CAM01021.jpg

Late 50's eh? That correlates to what many others are saying on this and other forums.

If anyone else has more info please let me know.

Thanks Spyderco Man for the speedy reponse

I think mine was made in England, i couldn't remember if it was Pat Pending like the normal Rockets or not. That Brit Pat started appearing on razors after 1953 from what i can tell.

I think mine was made in England, i couldn't remember if it was Pat Pending like the normal Rockets or not. That Brit Pat started appearing on razors after 1953 from what i can tell.

That is interesting ... Then probably there were some earlier Parats? I have had 3, counting with this one I kept. The other two also had the patent #, one was made in England and the other was supposedly made in Germany. This one I have is also made in England.

The one I purchased has the following markings:

On the underside of the blade tray it has the Gillette logo on the left and MADE IN ENGLAND on the right.

On the top side of the blade tray (under silo doors) it has BRIT. PAT. on the left side and 640093 on the right.

Does this place it in late 50's still?

I don't know if there were Parat's with Pat Pending, but the normal Rocket's that look the same except the twist knob caliber were Pat Pending, the two i have anyway.

The one I purchased has the following markings:

On the underside of the blade tray it has the Gillette logo on the left and MADE IN ENGLAND on the right.

On the top side of the blade tray (under silo doors) it has BRIT. PAT. on the left side and 640093 on the right.

Does this place it in late 50's still?

Yeah, those are late 50s for sure. You will enjoy it. As all British razors, they're great.
Anyway, all Parats that I have seen at least have the Brit. Pat. ... As mentioned already,some Rockets ( regular ones, with the larger diameter knob) have Pat Pending, and those are prior to 53.
But those are not Parats ... the Parat's knob is the same diameter as the rest of the handle. That is how you distinguish them.

Last edited:
British razors comes since 1955 with Brit. Pat. 694 093. All Parats have this Patent number. The earliest Ad that I know is from Sep 1956. The latest German set that I own is from 1961 and the latest British set that I own is the Rocket No 54A from 1962

The legendary Achim (aka Mr Razor)! I am new to wet shaving but I've read much of your material online...you seem to be one of the most knowledgeable figures out there....thanks for helping me with my query.

So would it be safe to say my Parat could be any where between a 1955 to 1962?

The legendary Achim (aka Mr Razor)! I am new to wet shaving but I've read much of your material online...you seem to be one of the most knowledgeable figures out there....thanks for helping me with my query.

So would it be safe to say my Parat could be any where between a 1955 to 1962?

the Parat comes for X-mas 1956 and goes to 1962, maybe some years longer.

I won an auction on the bay for Gillette Rocket Parat model in what looks to be almost mint condition.

Is this by any chance the eBay listing number: 161296923499 for the auction that you won (photo from listing below)? It was listed as a Rocket Parat, but looks (to my newbie eye) more like a #58 and probably from 1956 or later. Very minty too!

proxy.php

Is this by any chance the eBay listing number: 161296923499 for the auction that you won (photo from listing below)? It was listed as a Rocket Parat, but looks (to my newbie eye) more like a #58 and probably from 1956 or later. Very minty too!

proxy.php

Nope not that one it was ebay item no:

Here is a pic:

proxy.php

Attachments

• $$_57.jpg
    $$_57.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 212
Hey thanks! Pretty stoked.

This will be my first real vintage razor so I can't wait to try it.

There are a lot of people out there that are of the opinion that the British Gillettes are superior to the US ones in build quality, finish and mechanics. I'm only new so I can only go from what I read so this is why I went for one of these.

Looks like a beaut! I generally prefer the Brits to the US, at least for those from the 40s and 50s. I don't know that the earlier ones are that much different, but that could be a whole other thread.

Top Bottom