What's new

Gillette Rocket HD

Keeping with my "one in, one out" razor purchase anti-proliferation policy, the #58 will be competing directly with the 47.5 Crat for a slot in the rack :)

Anti-proliferation policy ... :facep: :lol:

Well ... that's not cool you know. They're both beautiful razors, and you could always buy a bigger rack? :001_unsur

proxy.php

Btw, I'm curious about the outcome of that fight for the slot in the rack.

Should be a fair fight, they're even in the same weight class ... I'm definitely curious.

I didn't even know the 58 was considered part of the Rocket family. I actually enjoy using mine from time to time as well. It's another great TTO. Not #16 great but good nonetheless. I used it the other day. I have actually used quite a bit of my collection this month during Fat February. Good thread Edgar!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 95
That's what I find so intriguing about the #58. It looks so much like cross between a #22/66 Aristocrat and a Rocket HD. The original case seems a bit more Crat than Rocket mind you.

Edgar, I think it will be an interesting match. Currently I alternate weekdays between the #16 and the 47.5 US Crat. Esthetically speaking, the #58 already would look more at home in the ready rack, and the Brit TTO mechanism is so much nicer than the U.S. TTO, so really the #58 only needs to be an equal quality shaver to the U.S. Crat to beat it.

Watch and shoot.

Ok I know I have heard and read about the "paperclip razor" before but can someone refresh my memory with some pics and info.

That's what I find so intriguing about the #58. It looks so much like cross between a #22/66 Aristocrat and a Rocket HD. The original case seems a bit more Crat than Rocket mind you.

Your not alone in making that connection Scotty. There has been discussion as to whether the #58 is a Rocket or an English Aristocrat, comparing it to the US Aristocrats rather than the solid plate English Aristocrats and Jnrs. I suppose a cosmetic comparison could also be made between the #58 and the President.

Cheers, George

Ok I know I have heard and read about the "paperclip razor" before but can someone refresh my memory with some pics and info.

Here's three of my Rockets, the paperclip (also known as the #66 Aristocrat) is on the left. It has a similar style handle to the #16 but it's made of aluminium. Uses the same head as the HD and Flarteip Rockets pictured next to it.
proxy.php

Last edited:
I didn't even know the 58 was considered part of the Rocket family.

Your not alone in making that connection Scotty. There has been discussion as to whether the #58 is a Rocket or an English Aristocrat, comparing it to the US Aristocrats rather than the solid plate English Aristocrats and Jnrs. I suppose a cosmetic comparison could also be made between the #58 and the President.

How 'bout the French Monobloc? :tongue_smAnd don't forget the ones we usually call 40s-style Rockets, or standard Rockets. I actually consider all of them part of the Rocket family.
Or at the very least the #58, the HD and the Monobloc ... to me they are the exact same razor, knurling being the only difference.
There was a big difference in price between the Rocket set in the blue plastic case and the #58 set.

Throw the HD in a fancier case and the difference is greatly reduced.

Gillette also called Rocket set to this one here. They used the expression ''Superspeed Shaving'' quite a bit too, referring to all ''quick action razors'' (TTOs) of that period. Here's an example - ''Other Gillette Superspeed sets from 10/2 to 31/-''. This 31/- Superspeed set was the Aristocrat.

This is just some stuff I find interesting and wanted to share. I don't know if they're all Rockets or not. In my opinion they are, but I could be wrong.

Here's three of my Rockets, the paperclip (also known as the #66 Aristocrat) is on the left. It has a similar style handle to the #16 but it's made of aluminium. Uses the same head as the HD and Flarteip Rockets pictured next to it.
proxy.php

The Paperclip is not an Aristocrat. The Paperclip is the aluminum version of the Rocket HD as seen here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...fferent-Rocket-HD´s?highlight=found+9+rockets

proxy.php

Last edited:
Since the Paperclip was made in England, shouldn't we say that it is made from "aluminium"?:tongue_sm

I confess that I do not see the attraction of a razor that is made from aluminum. In my book, heavier is always better (to a point).

Since the Paperclip was made in England, shouldn't we say that it is made from "aluminium"?:tongue_sm

I confess that I do not see the attraction of a razor that is made from aluminum. In my book, heavier is always better (to a point).

It's nice to see that our friends over the pond can spell "aluminium" correctly if they have too ....:lol:

I have both the Gold and Paperclip Rocket sets and have tried shaving with both and like you I find they are too light and you can find yourself applying unneeded pressure during your shave. The same applies to the lightweight #66, although I am not a big fan of very heavy razors (in the main due to aftermarket handles) either.

Yeah, I guess it'd be too light.

The all brass version feels just right, IMO. However, don't set the bar too high ... it's not a #16. :tongue_sm

As an added vote of confidence, the eBay Seller just wrote me back today saying that it felt like the whole razor was made from "steel", and not aluminum (aluminium for the UK folks).

Could anyone throw up a snap of a #16 or 22/66 next to a #58?

I'm trying to get a good size comparison.

Here you go. Included a President as well. They all look about the same size. The 16 looks and shaves the best as always. Ha.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 78
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 76
Thanks guys, turned out to be a nice thread thanks to all of you! :thumbup1:

Here you go. Included a President as well. They all look about the same size. The 16 looks and shaves the best as always. Ha.

Thanks for posting those awesome pics, Brent. I was about to post something similar.

Scotty, as you can see the overall size is pretty much the same. The difference is a slightly thinner handle, especially the TTO knob.

Top Bottom