What's new

Gillette Rocket HD

I'm so glad I adopted the rest of my TTOs into my meagre rotation after a replate. I had them all over the house - my son was using some and I was too but very intermittently.

They really deserve to be used and I even treated them to a box like the Rhodium guys...

I have the Rocket HD, the Aristocrat junior (with the solid handle) and an old US Red Tip from a trade. They complement my Aristocrats in a nice modest way and the lonely aftermarket handle for my 3 piece Gillettes. :001_smile

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so glad I adopted the rest of my TTOs into my meagre rotation after a replate. I had them all over the house - my son was using some and I was too but very intermittently.

They really deserve to be used and I even treated them to a box like the Rhodium guys...

I have the Rocket HD, the Aristocrat junior (with the solid handle) and an old US Red Tip from a trade. They complement my Aristocrats in a nice modest way and the lonely aftermarket handle for my 3 piece Gillettes. :001_smile

Once again I have to say it ... that is a beautiful collection, Bosse. :thumbup: Thanks for sharing the pics!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Edgar. The Rocket HD I received may have been an outlier (had a rough life or such). But I love my #58. :001_smile

So I used the #58. The result was consistent with my previous experiences with these models. I didn't notice any difference between the shaves. IMO they're equally smooth and efficient, of course - with other examples this might be different.

If I wanted to keep only one I'd make the same choice, the #58 is a beautiful set.

$CAM02300.jpg$CAM02303.jpg

As the others have said, the Rocket HD is unusually good for a TTO. I have two sweeties and they are on my never-sell list. It's a ***** to find a case though.

All of this love for the Rocket!
Despite my preference for heavy English Gillette razors, this is a club to which I do not belong. A friend here in NC keeps telling me that his Rocket HD and #58 are his two best razors and all I can do is pretend like I know what he is talking about.
Now, thanks to the generosity of Edgar, I am awaiting delivery of my very own Rocket HD. Thank you, my friend. I'm looking forward to my first Rocket trip.
It's members like you who make this place great!:w00t::w00t::w00t::001_cool:

Nope, haven't tried an Executive, that would be nice. I know you have one, George. How does it compare to the HD or the #58?

Is it on the ''aggressive'' side?

I think a fairer comparison would be with the #16. It is remarkably smooth.

I picked up my HD with two #58's in a job lot. I did a comparison at the time and, while I was aware that they shared the same head, definately preferred the #58 to the point where I could happily have sold the HD. Your #58 with that case is a spectacular, pride of place example.

Cheers, George

I have to admit I have owned and still own a number of English Rockets in various guises (HD,LD,Paperclip, #58 and F/T) and have never got on with any of them. Some I have parted with and some I keep just to look at. A very nice looking razor but not for me. I like the shaves that the flat plate Aristocrats give but again the #66/22 get no love. I guess I am not a fan of most of the diamond based Gillettes from that era ? As per usual YMMV ..... :001_smile But I am glad you guys enjoy them.

Thank you, my friend. I'm looking forward to my first Rocket trip.

You're welcome Doc. It needed a good home and I'm sure NC is the right place!

Hope you'll enjoy it! :thumbsup:

I think a fairer comparison would be with the #16. It is remarkably smooth.

I picked up my HD with two #58's in a job lot. I did a comparison at the time and, while I was aware that they shared the same head, definately preferred the #58 to the point where I could happily have sold the HD. Your #58 with that case is a spectacular, pride of place example.

Cheers, George

So you also notice a difference. Well that's perfectly understandable, the whole YMMV thing, etc ... Honestly I can't notice any difference, they're both great IMO.

Even the weight is the same. I know it can vary a couple grams, Achim's examples are 68g, on my scale both the HD and the #58 weigh 72g.

I have a couple of HD500s, a few Flaretip Rockets and a Paperclip. They are my favourite razors bar none and I'd never part with any of them.

You guys now have me RADing for a #58 too!

This thread is definitely making me impatient for mine to arrive! I picked up this cased Rocket HD on eBay this past week. Should be here next week. Looks like it should clean up nicely.

$$_57.jpg

This thread is definitely making me impatient for mine to arrive! I picked up this cased Rocket HD on eBay this past week. Should be here next week. Looks like it should clean up nicely.

Cool, with case and blade dispenser, very nice!

Congrats. :thumbup1:

I'm going crazy now trying to figure out if the #58 I just bought is a paperclip or not.... Not sure i'm going to like it if its a paperclip.

It's on a long journey from the Czech Republic to Canada, so i've got time to ponder.

Anyone?

Attachments

• $$_12-2.JPG
    $$_12-2.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 96
  • $$_12-3.JPG
    $$_12-3.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 96
  • $$_12.JPG
    $$_12.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 95
  • $$_57-2.jpg
    $$_57-2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 94
  • $$_57.jpg
    $$_57.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 95
Very nice pair of Rockets, eaterofdog! :thumbup1:

I'm going crazy now trying to figure out if the #58 I just bought is a paperclip or not.... Not sure i'm going to like it if its a paperclip.

It's on a long journey from the Czech Republic to Canada, so i've got time to ponder.

Anyone?

I'm 99% sure your razor is all brass. Here's Achim's aluminum version and the differences are obvious. Even though your razor needs to be cleaned I think it's already visible that it's all nickel plated brass.

$1953 (Y1) No58 aluminum.jpg

Yeah, I guess it'd be too light.

The all brass version feels just right, IMO. However, don't set the bar too high ... it's not a #16. :tongue_sm

Keeping with my "one in, one out" razor purchase anti-proliferation policy, the #58 will be competing directly with the 47.5 Crat for a slot in the rack :)

The #58 already gets some extra consideration given its uncommon-ness.

Top Bottom