What's new

Gillette Red Tip

Hello Everyone,

Tried one of these Red Tips for the first time in about 2 years and I was impressed. Definitely much better than my last experience with it; great, smooth shave. The blade was an Astra. Probably from the tan-tip, blue tip and the red tip troika, this one is the best. Much heavier and solidly built compared to the other two.
I have no idea how much they go now on Ebay, but if it is cheaper than a HD then I think it's a great deal.

Regards,
Alfred

The Red Tip SS is a great razor. So many people shy away from them because people think they are so aggressive. They are medium aggressive but as long as you use a light touch and let the blade do it's thing the shave will be awesome.

Glad to hear you went back to it and gave it another chance.

I love the Red Tip. I think too many get scared away when they hear how aggressive it is described to be. I don't think of it as aggressive any more, just a really nice, close shave with the normal number of passes. Glad to hear of your positive experience the second time around. :cool:

I've been thinking about picking one of these up. The thicker handle does look nice. Your review put it on the front burner. Thanks

I have three red tips...alas, some most go. They'll be on BST soon.

Great shavers...when I ask the six year old to choose a razor for me to use, he always wants "the one with the end that looks like a ham!"

I love my Red Tip. I find it to be slightly more aggressive than my 40's SS, but that's all. The Aristocrat is somewhere in between the two. I would compare the Red Tip to my Barber Pole in terms of aggressiveness, although I think the Merkur is slightly more exacting (that is, subjectively more precise, but not as much fun).

I think the Red Tip's reputation has run away with itself. This is a great shaving tool, and a heck of a lot of fun to use. It is not an overly aggressive monster.

At the moment, I have a gold slant bar on the way from WCS, just so I can try it and decide whether or not that is too aggressive for me.

tan tip? what's that?

Hi,

It's the regular Super-Speed from the late 50's and 60's; one of the most common vintages. As far as I know the tip was actually nickel/chrome, but they were sold in tan plastic boxes; hence the name.

Regards,
Alfred

I picked up a shaver grade Red Tip about a year ago, just to try one, and just loved it. Now I have three of the damned things!

They're all bark and no bite, really, and I think that they're easier to use than my Merkur HD. I like the nice heavy handle, the great knurling, and the elegant simplicity. One of the best designs ever...

full

Last edited by a moderator:
B

ButtGump

I have three red tips...alas, some most go. They'll be on BST soon.

Great shavers...when I ask the six year old to choose a razor for me to use, he always wants "the one with the end that looks like a ham!"

I was surprised to like the Red Tip since I like a mild razor, but it's not really that aggressive. Spent a whole week with it a couple weeks ago when I was leaving on a business trip and asked my 3 yr old which razor to take.

"Umm ... the RED one!"

Just purchased a 1956 Red Tip on ebay for $34.95. Other than a little bit of red worn off at the end of the handle it looks to be in excellent condition. Can't wait for my first shave with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom