What's new

Gillette Red Tip Version?

I’m looking to buy a Gillette Red Tip and need info on how each version shaves. The ones I’m aware of are the USA made, British made and British made Rocket. I’d like to hear about efficacy and smoothness. Thanks!

Hello!
Three different razors were realised:

Blue tip (mild), Flair tip (regular/medium) and Red Tip (aggressive). They were called the Super Speed Trio.

They were made for different types of beard. The blue tip was targeted for new shavers and beginners, like teenagers with a few hairs. The flair tip was for the regular men who had to shave everyday. And the red tip was for men who had very coarse and thick hair.

1955 Super Speed Trio
1956 Super Speed Trio

This is just synthesis. You can find more information on the web.

Hope this was useful.

Cheers!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I believe there are three distinct red tips, a US version, an English version, and an English Rocket version. I own examples of the US and English versions but not the Rocket. The two I own obviously differ in the engravings under the head and also the shape of the end caps but in all other respects they are the same. I do not have an English case but aside from the 'made in' engravings on the undersides I believe they are also the same. I have read that the blade gap in the English version is slightly larger and the shave slightly smoother but to be honest I cannot tell the difference. The Rocket version I believe was only produced in England and features the usual different, smoother, and for me, far superior TTO mechanism of a Rocket. Again the is meant to have a larger blade gap than the US red tip but I cannot confirm this. This according to many is the smoothest and best shaver and coincidentally it also appears the be the rarest. I suspect rarity often influences how owners perceive the quality of shave, somehow rarer is often better 🤣

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
The British Ted Tip is very difficult to find. It has a larger blade gap than the American version, and the TTO has that ‘hydraulic’ feel to it. IMHO, the British Red Tip is a top 5 TTO of all time.

R

romsitsa

Basically the same face feel. Like an adjustable set on 4 (US red tip) or 5 (British red tip). The most blade forward Gillette tto-s are gen 1-3 British Aristocrats.

Adam

I believe there are three distinct red tips, a US version, an English version, and an English Rocket version. I own examples of the US and English versions but not the Rocket. The two I own obviously differ in the engravings under the head and also the shape of the end caps but in all other respects they are the same. I do not have an English case but aside from the 'made in' engravings on the undersides I believe they are also the same. I have read that the blade gap in the English version is slightly larger and the shave slightly smoother but to be honest I cannot tell the difference. The Rocket version I believe was only produced in England and features the usual different, smoother, and for me, far superior TTO mechanism of a Rocket. Again the is meant to have a larger blade gap than the US red tip but I cannot confirm this. This according to many is the smoothest and best shaver and coincidentally it also appears the be the rarest. I suspect rarity often influences how owners perceive the quality of shave, somehow rarer is often better 🤣

Great summary!! :clap::clap::clap:

Wow. Thanks for writing this. I got a red tip in the mail a few months ago. I had to go out and threw it in a hairbrush box so the cat wouldn’t get at it...and forgot all about it Until I read your post. I gotta try this baby out!
B938BEBB-A9CF-4F56-973E-42457DC467FA.jpeg

I’m looking to buy a Gillette Red Tip and need info on how each version shaves. The ones I’m aware of are the USA made, British made and British made Rocket. I’d like to hear about efficacy and smoothness. Thanks!
I don't know if you ever found one but I have 3 different "Made in England" Gillette Red Tips. The Rocket which is sort of a telescoping handle for opening and closing. it is marked III on the base plate. I have two that look like the Made in USA Red Tips, one has III on the base plate and the other II. the two marked III shave similarly and very nicely. equivalent to between 6 and 7 on my Fatboy. the one marked II I haven't tried, but I suspect is like the English Flare Tip Rocket(mine is also marked II) and the American Red Tip. I checked the gap on the ones marked III and it is between 0.032" and 0.033"(.032 went .033 didn't). the Red Tip Rocket is scarce, although I found one. the Flair Tip and Super Speed Rockets are more common. I have never seen a Blue Tip Rocket other than on Mr. Razor(I watch eBay UK). if you are looking there is currently a Red Tip marked III(not a Rocket) on eBay UK for 50€

I have 2 non-rocket Made in England Red Tips and a Red Tip Rocket. the Rocket and one of the non-Rockets are marked III on the base base middle left. one is marked II. my Flair Tip Rockets are marked II although one is marked S. my 40s style Super Speeds Rockets are marked II also. those marked III shave to what I think is the reputation of the Red Tip Rocket. like 6 on a Fatboy. those marked II aren't quite as nice, closer to an American Red Tip, 3 or 4 on a Fatboy. I haven't tried the S but I suspect it would be the same as the I on a Blue Tip Rocket(which I have only seen pictures of, never in the wild)

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I don't know if you ever found one but I have 3 different "Made in England" Gillette Red Tips. The Rocket which is sort of a telescoping handle for opening and closing. it is marked III on the base plate. I have two that look like the Made in USA Red Tips, one has III on the base plate and the other II. the two marked III shave similarly and very nicely. equivalent to between 6 and 7 on my Fatboy. the one marked II I haven't tried, but I suspect is like the English Flare Tip Rocket(mine is also marked II) and the American Red Tip. I checked the gap on the ones marked III and it is between 0.032" and 0.033"(.032 went .033 didn't). the Red Tip Rocket is scarce, although I found one. the Flair Tip and Super Speed Rockets are more common. I have never seen a Blue Tip Rocket other than on Mr. Razor(I watch eBay UK). if you are looking there is currently a Red Tip marked III(not a Rocket) on eBay UK for 50€
Thank very much for the enabling/heads up, let's face it its the same thing 😄. Mine should be with me by the 11th next month. Bet ya it drags in.

actually I have three types of English Red Tip, one has II on the head like a plain English Flair Tip, a second with III on the head like the Rocket, and my Rocket. the Rocket and the one with III shave the same on my face. I have a Super Speed with an S on the head also

The British Ted Tip is very difficult to find. It has a larger blade gap than the American version, and the TTO has that ‘hydraulic’ feel to it. IMHO, the British Red Tip is a top 5 TTO of all time.

Not an exaggeration.
It's the Red Tip Rocket that has the hydraulic TTO.
I've shaved with the UK Red Tip...rated it as the best Gillette ever made.
Only thing is: these TTO mechanisms and the doors are subject to wear and tear
and can degrade over time. (that goes for all such razors)

Top Bottom