What's new

Gillette Red Tip Rocket Lost its Butter

Super Speeds are different than Rockets. Gillette may have put grease in the inner mechanism of the Rocket which could account for the noticeably different feel in the TTO action when twisted. The Rockets have an exceptionally smooth, slightly resistant feel that the Super Speeds don't. This isn't to say that SSs aren't smooth- they certainly are but if you've ever opened and closed a Rocket, you'll know the difference that I'm talking about. Definitely something different going on in the Rocket inner-handle area. Can someone who has ever disassembled a Rocket please chime in?

Thanks,

uid:0

Super Speeds are different than Rockets. Gillette may have put grease in the inner mechanism of the Rocket which could account for the noticeably different feel in the TTO action when twisted. The Rockets have a smooth (not to say that SSs aren't smooth), slightly resistant feel that the Super Speeds don't. Definitely something different going on in the Rocket inner-handle area. Can someone who has ever disassembled a Rocket please chime in?

Thanks,

yuid:0

Glad I live in the US.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Super Speeds are different than Rockets. Gillette may have put grease in the inner mechanism of the Rocket which could account for the noticeably different feel in the TTO action when twisted. The Rockets have an exceptionally smooth, slightly resistant feel that the Super Speeds don't. This isn't to say that SSs aren't smooth- they certainly are but if you've ever opened and closed a Rocket, you'll know the difference that I'm talking about. Definitely something different going on in the Rocket inner-handle area. Can someone who has ever disassembled a Rocket please chime in?

Thanks,

uid:0
I've seen one apart before. It looks more like a corkscrew inside. I'm not sure corkscrew is the best term, but I'm having trouble thinking. I'll see if I can find that photo.

Edit: It was a HD500 I was thinking of. It is like a threaded barrel inside. My apologies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've seen one apart before. It looks more like a corkscrew inside. I'm not sure corkscrew is the best term, but I'm having trouble thinking. I'll see if I can find that photo.

Edit: It was a HD500 I was thinking of. It is like a threaded barrel inside. My apologies.

See grease?

R

romsitsa

Hello,

Rocket type razors have a smoother feel as there are two therads rotating counter clockwise, while Superspeed type razors only have a crimped ring, so the knob can “wiggle”.
Not saying that all versions were greased, but my “mint” Parat, flare tip, No 58 and HD had grease inside the tube.

Adam

Couldnt tell from the picture.

I've read the forum experts that lubrication for old Gillettes is not necessary when a new members asks about using mineral oil. Therefore I was surprised to hear some were greased.

Is it possible that an ultrasonic cleaner loosens the lubrication too?
I think it is. I recently bought a blue tip and red tip rocket from an Etsy vendor who puts all his razors in an ultrasonic cleaner. They are both nice and clean but quite squeaky when turning the tto mechanism. I’m still not sure whether people are saying to drip oil into the top of the t-bar, in the razor head, or at the bottom, where the flared tip meets the rest of the handle?

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I've read the forum experts that lubrication for old Gillettes is not necessary when a new members asks about using mineral oil. Therefore I was surprised to hear some were greased.
Me too.

I've purchased some mineral oil and will drip some in at the T Bar junction and at the gap between the TTO knob and bottom of the handle cylinder. I'll report back.

Your Rocket did have grease on the threads from the factory but not much. What the Dawn did was remove it completely. The action will now be a bit gritty until the threads get bedded to each other. You apparently purchased a NOS Rocket as I did a few years ago. I did the exact same thing you did and noticed that same thing. It worked out great after about a month of use. It has a perfect and smooth action now. And I clean it every time I use it and dip it in 90% Isopropyl Alcohol after cleaning to remove all water and oils. And let it dry naturally. It is still in perfect condition after three years of regular use.
So no worries just use it as normal keep it clean and dry between uses.
EDAADEAA-DAD8-447C-8109-6B35CFF895DD.jpeg

Your Rocket did have grease on the threads from the factory but not much. What the Dawn did was remove it completely. The action will now be a bit gritty until the threads get bedded to each other. You apparently purchased a NOS Rocket as I did a few years ago. I did the exact same thing you did and noticed that same thing. It worked out great after about a month of use. It has a perfect and smooth action now. And I clean it every time I use it and dip it in 90% Isopropyl Alcohol after cleaning to remove all water and oils. And let it dry naturally. It is still in perfect condition after three years of regular use.
So no worries just use it as normal keep it clean and dry between uses.View attachment 935434
Nice. :a14:

Thanks dionesius! I'll just stick with it and enjoy the shaves. I should have mentioned earlier. This TTO thing is a relatively minor point and I love this Red Tip Rocket. Really great BBS shaves. I have an English Red Tip SS that I also really like. Great razors.

Top Bottom