What's new

Gillette red Tip dated 1960? Date code F1

I've got a Gillette Red Tip dated F1, which according to this very helpful guide http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/US_Gillette_Dating_Information would be a 1960 date code. However, the chart indicates the Red Tip ceased production in 1959. Has anybody ever seen a 1960 dated Red Tip before? How do I go about getting the guide changed to reflect my F1 code? I can provide a picture of mine if it would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
KG

I'm not sure if that's been seen before or not. Do post pics, just so we can make sure it's a Red Tip (and not faked). I doubt someone would do that, but who knows :). I'd guess it's at least equally likely our date chart just has an error.

Edit: Another possibility is that you might have misread the code (F instead of E maybe?). You might check with a magnifying glass, in good light, just to be sure.

Looks legit to me. When things started production is usually easier to figure out than precisely when they stopped. So I'm not too surprised to see some fuzziness on the exact endpoint of the Red Tip's run, and here we're only talking about the next quarter out even.

The handle is late model as well; of course it would be for an "E" model also. The only other possibility is that the E wasn't stamped on correctly.

Last edited:
Could well be an F, thanks for posting.

Is it just me or does the serif at the bottom of the F looks like it has a fairly long foot? Is that normal for a 1960 F, or could it be a weak stamping of E?

Could well be an F, thanks for posting.

Is it just me or does the serif at the bottom of the F looks like it has a fairly long foot? Is that normal for a 1960 F, or could it be a weak stamping of E?

I was thinking that also hence my stamping comment. But it seems to end rather abruptly so who knows? We might need a better photo--like when we did the Q-code black Gillettes from 1971.

Obviously I am no photographer, but I do have a better camera available. I'll see if I can get a better picture tomorrow and post it up. Thanks for all the comments so far, this is very interesting.

Thanks everyone for confirming what I have. I'll hold onto to the "last red tip ever made" for my son to try when he is ready. :thumbup: I'm also interested in the differences between the early & late model red-tips since I now have both.

Thanks everyone for confirming what I have. I'll hold onto to the "last red tip ever made" for my son to try when he is ready. :thumbup: I'm also interested in the differences between the early & late model red-tips since I now have both.

Note high band made from 1954 until 1958 $IMG_1963-1_1_1.jpg lower band made from 1958 through 1959.

1957 the Red Tips got a + on either side on the handle.$redtiptrimpaint_1_1.jpg

Another interesting variation I once saw on eBay was that the red tip was solid on the bottom rather than hollow. The seller made a big deal of that fact. I had never seen one like it. I still don't know why it was made that way. I can't remember the date code on his razor.

Another interesting variation I once saw on eBay was that the red tip was solid on the bottom rather than hollow. The seller made a big deal of that fact. I had never seen one like it. I still don't know why it was made that way. I can't remember the date code on his razor.

There's a clip in the bottom of the razor that holds it together, so whoever did that would have probably had to have done it after the fact. It's possible that the seller even did it himself.

There's a clip in the bottom of the razor that holds it together, so whoever did that would have probably had to have done it after the fact. It's possible that the seller even did it himself.
Agreed, its custom made handle or modified, those Red Tip handles are built in a functional/technical way not just for aesthetics like screw on handles are. The red tip handles are not made with the insides solid

Top Bottom