What's new

Gillette Red Tip as a starter razor?

R

rainman

I know that a Merkur HD is often given as good advice for a good first razor. The closest Gillette I'd compare to the HD in weight, size, and aggression is a Red Tip. Anyone feel the same?

I agree, if we can stop describing the Red Tip in such scary terms. Calling it "aggressive" probably makes it unnecessarily intimidating for most newbs. I think, like the HD, it gives a close shave without having to work so hard. In that respect, it's easier to shave with either an HD or a Red Tip and get a close shave if you have a very coarse beard. That said, you may need some sort of "break in" period to work on technique safely. There is probably a difference between a newb who's never shaved before, and someone who's shaved for years with a cartridge and has studied technique, like watching Mantic videos.

I started with a mild razor and not too sharp blade, and didn't get very close shaves with that set up, and got irritation from over shaving to get the kind of shave I wanted.

:cool:

I feel that the Red Tip is tad more aggressive, and it seems to be easier to get the right angle with the Merkur -- so maybe the HD is a little better for the beginner. But, once the technique is getting solid, the Red Tip is a must, IMHO. It's just a wonderful razor.

i agree with you. I would stick with the Merkur as a solid beginner blade. But a Red Tip is a must have for any collection.

The Red Tip was my third razor added to my collection and is actually my go to razor these days. However, i'm currently writing up an extensive Razor Blade Blind Random Sample Report where I am testing 12 different brands of DE Blades. For this testing I have been using my Merkur 33c along with the same brush, cream, and aftershave to make sure there is nothing different that could alter my results. I can't wait until that is finished so i can have my Red Tip back on full rotation

I too had been curious of the Red Tip's aggressiveness. I had used other "milder" razors and was wanting to try the Red Tip. I won one on Ebay and waited almost two months to actually give it a try. I was almost ready just to give it away, until I finally tried it. I was in love with it from the first shave. As said, with the proper technique, it is an effortless shave. It is now one of my favorites. I am currently selling that one on the BST, with another one on the way to me, and I might even look for another. It's funny how we can make a judgement without even trying something.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The hype about the Red Tip is much like the hype about a Merkur Slant.
They are both fine razors, and the Red Tip is a very comfortable easy shave.
I would have no problem at all recommending the Red Tip to even a noob.
The Slant does take a little getting used to, but it's no monster either.

Red tip over HD for me...someone starting out with DE shaving might have a better experience with the vintage nostalgia of a red tip not to mention the wonderful shave...vintage razors just enhance the overall experience for me...

After just over a year with a Merkur Classic, I've switched to a Red Tip in the last couple weeks.

It's a fabulous razor. It's not scary at all, even with Feather blades.

I wouldn't worry about using it, even as a beginner. I completely love mine and am unlikely to ever use my Merkur again (I guess I should get to work on a PIF!)

The hype about the Red Tip is much like the hype about a Merkur Slant.
They are both fine razors, and the Red Tip is a very comfortable easy shave.
I would have no problem at all recommending the Red Tip to even a noob.
The Slant does take a little getting used to, but it's no monster either.

Perfectly stated. Get it and use it.

I think some form of tech and a red tip would be a great starter set and can be had for less than, or about the same price as an HD.

The tech could be a used until you get used to the new techniques and get your basics down, and then step up to the Red tip after the first few weeks/month or so.

Just my thoughts,

~JD

Last edited:
When I first tried my Red Tip I was spurting blood from me juggler vein! Good thing I keep two pints of me blood in the fridge. :eek:

I think the Flare Tip Super Speed is the perfect 'ginner razor.

I did not find the Red Tip to be overly aggressive. I would put it on par with my Merkur HD, which was my first razor. There is no problem starting with a Red Tip, but given absolute freedome of choice, I would say a medium 50's Flare tip Super Speed or a 40's Super Speed. Just make sure you don't stop there!

When I first tried my Red Tip I was spurting blood from me juggler vein! Good thing I keep two pints of me blood in the fridge. :eek:

I think the Flare Tip Super Speed is the perfect 'ginner razor.

Yeah, perhaps I'm another exception to prove the rule, but I just can't get a Red Tip to work for me. My 40s superspeeds, my 50s superspeeds, my Fat Boy (around a 3) all give me effortless BBS; the Red Tip, disaster after disaster.

The red tip was my second ever razor bought, the first being a 23c long handled classic merkur. Once I had the red tip I hardly every used my merkur or tech.
The red tip is what just works for me naturally without trying. It beats any other DE I have bought since too, from aristocrat, 40s SS, rocket HD, NEW etc.

Top Bottom