What's new

Gillette RED Flare Tip Super Speed TTO Razor (An SWCT Review)

Such a shame, we all have the occasional bad shave!

But this has got to be the first negative review of the Red Tip on B&B!

To me, the Red Tip is an excellent razor. Tech + not quite a full shim, a solid medium near-autopilot razor with perfect balance (just under the first row of knurling), and blade alignment.
I'm taking a spin with mine tomorrow morning, now I'm curious. Gave one to my brother in law, he has usually multiple day growths and a thick, heavy beard. He claims the razor shaves very well for him. My beard is light to medium, so my opinion of the Red Tip may not be of much value. I remember getting very close shaves with it in the past, but its been awhile. Maybe the razor in question needs a tune up??

I'm a newbie but just pulled out my old red tip last week and got a good shave from it.
No chatter with personna reds.
Not as smooth as my rockwell 6s but lots of variables I guess.
Lots to learn here!

Older thread I know, out of 20+ de razors 9 are vintage, 8 are Gillettes and I get the best and easiest shaves with my 1958 red tip hands down. Just used mine last night with a feather blade, very close shave in about 5 minutes. I would have no problem using it for the rest of my life if I had to but I enjoy variety, jmo

After insisting on it I've been having some great shaves with my redtip. Some tweaking here and there and it's a happy ending to the story.

This is probably one of those comments that sets off a firestorm, but define "Blade Chatter?" Is it a audible thing, is it a physical thing, does it just happen out of nowhere, or only in any certain orientation (WTG/XTG/ATG) speed angle, does it build to a crescendo or ebb and flow like a low vibration, with or without skin stretching? When someone says/writes about "Blade Chatter," everyone nods in agreement, but yet asked individually you get several different answers and then one questions the group think and sides are taken...

My "bad" shaves can all be traced back to me: either technique (includes rushing and not noticing the corner of the new GEM PTFE blade I put in a Lather Catcher wasn't behind on top of the blade stop), or my wife moving my mirror mid-stroke of a Straight Razor shave (okay, that one was really on her, but being married nearly 40 years I know that down some dark, winding, convoluted path that would take hours to trace, it's on me).

Top Bottom