What's new

Gillette re-introduces a DE Razor...

The "Mess with Gillette's Head" thread got me thinking....

What would a 2010 Gillette DE look like?

This will happen when they have snowball fights in Hell, but it's fun to imagine how the P&G boys and girls would market it.

• Old School Cool
They contract out to have somebody make a Tech, but instead of plated brass it's stainless steel. Limited, numbered editions, and they sell it with a limited re-issue of another brand they absorbed, Old Spice. Big bucks. Compare DE shaving to the muzzleloading hunting season, and point out the history of Gillette quality and the superiority of the Fusion.

• The Modern DE
New design, with a microchip and battery. There is a micro USB port, so you can download shaving data to your PC, and watch a replay of your shave. Patended "Shaver Saver" memory, so the razor adjusts itself to your face according to the results of your last effort. Razor is also an alarm clock and a MP3 player. Big Bucks. Can use standard DE blades, but only the Gillette ones have the correct chip that enables the cool features.

• Most Likely Approach
Make something that vaguely looks like a Slim Adjustabe, but it takes a Fusion Cartridge on each side of the head.

Any other ideas I can send them?

They make the cheapie all plastic click for sale here in Asia , and some shops have a cheap metal head plastic handle Gillettte DE razor for sale for about $5

How about they do a product tie-in with Transformers? It's all chrome and when you're done shaving, you can twist it around and make a little sportscar out of it. They release a YouTube video of Megan Fox shaving her legs with it and every young man in American buys a box full of them.

how about they do a product tie-in with transformers? It's all chrome and when you're done shaving, you can twist it around and make a little sportscar out of it. They release a youtube video of megan fox shaving her legs with it and every young man in american buys a box full of them.

lol.

How about they do a product tie-in with Transformers? It's all chrome and when you're done shaving, you can twist it around and make a little sportscar out of it. They release a YouTube video of Megan Fox shaving her legs with it and every young man in American buys a box full of them.

Uh, I'm not young, but where do I sign up for one of these?

It would probably be cheaply built with an exposed misaligned blade to cause maximum damage. Tiny blood sensors would start the overt subliminal messages...

"The Fusion won't do this."
"Old School is not the answer."

Or some other nonsense.

I fear that it would be some contrived, committee-designed abomination, similar to what's happened to toothbrushes and sneakers. Blech.

On the outside, it will look just like Gillette's most popular and sought-after razors ... FatBoy / Tech / Aristocrat / Superspeed ... maybe even a 195.

On the inside, it will take a proprietary blade that is copyrighted and patented and available only from you know who ... at about the same price as a Fusion cartridge.

Within a month, there will be a company in Pakistan making cheap, crummy knock-offs of both the razors and proprietary blades for sale outside the U.S. ... and American shavers will be scrambling to get them.

If (huge, massive, monumentally large if) they did start up their DE lines again, I would love to see two seperate lines. The first would be something along the lines of a continuation of the vintage stuff, maybe put it under a sub-branding of "Classic Series" and reproduce the Super Speed, Tech, and an adjustable (Slim or Fatboy, or both). Ideally, they would be produced with quality materials, not cheaping out on pressed tin and cheap plastic. The second sub-branding I'd like to see would be a more modern DE design. As much as I really enjoy some of the new model DE's I have (Merkurs, Edwin Jagger, Muhle) they still look like the vintage stuff. I do appreciate the beauty of the designs, and they're excellent razors, but I'd like to see something that looks like a modern interpretation of the DE stuff. The nearest I can think of would be my Satin Black Goodfella and Merkur Vision and Futur. The Goodfella has the look of being something produced recently, and I dig that. I wish more razors would have that look, and a modern Gillette DE along those lines would be something I'd pay money for.

I can dream, can't I?

They make the cheapie all plastic click for sale here in Asia , and some shops have a cheap metal head plastic handle Gillettte DE razor for sale for about $5

+1

All kidding aside, if they really were to do it, this is exactly what they'd do. Introduce a "budget" model with a plastic handle like the 7 o'clock. It would be $7.95 at Wal Mart. And they'd do it quietly, with no fanfare. They'd just start appearing on the shelves as a lower-priced alternative.

.....but a refill pack of 5 blades would cost $5.

It would probably be cheaply built with an exposed misaligned blade to cause maximum damage. Tiny blood sensors would start the overt subliminal messages...

"The Fusion won't do this."
"Old School is not the answer."

Or some other nonsense.

No need to get that technical. The Chinese factory to whom they farmed out production would--through their inevitable cutting of production corners and use of substandard materials to make extra "off the books" profit--accomplish the same thing at no r&d cost to P&G/Gillette.

It's not an exaggeration when someone says that a Chinese factory keeps three sets of books: one for the government, one for their Western customer and the real one.

No need to get that technical. The Chinese factory to whom they farmed out production would--through their inevitable cutting of production corners and use of substandard materials to make extra "off the books" profit--accomplish the same thing at no r&d cost to P&G/Gillette.

It's not an exaggeration when someone says that a Chinese factory keeps three sets of books: one for the government, one for their Western customer and the real one.

sigh.
surely its up to the company outsourcing to them to specify quality standards & materials. And if not, why is it a chinese, rather than a western factory thats cutting corners.

[/politics]

sigh.
surely its up to the company outsourcing to them to specify quality standards & materials. And if not, why is it a chinese, rather than a western factory thats cutting corners.

Thank you! Sorry to derail the thread, but it really grows tiresome to hear the constant bashing of Chinese/Asian factories and workers and their "substandard" products, when it's the parent company that decides how, and with what materials, a product is manufactured. If <insert company here> decides to build low-cost crap, the Chinese will build crap. It has nothing to do with where the product is made, and everything to do with how a product is spec'd.

/rant off

Any new marketed gillette DE would be horrible, here's three reasons why:
They'd pull a goodwill, only works with their new DE blades that they charge $2ea for.
It would be really cheaply constructed, built entirely out of plastic.
Or lastly, made to mimmick the metal old ones, but do a bad job due to poor design/ QC.

So really no one would buy them as the vintage ones can take cheaper blades, are built better and are cheaper.

edit: Why do people fantansize about this topic? There's plenty of old ones out there cheap. It's weird to me that it's gillette fans that wish new gillettes made as well. I'd understand if an merkur fan would want new gillettes if they only chose merkur due to the fact they don't want vintage, so for them it means more choice and competition. But for any gillette vintage user, what does it matter if there's no new gillette DEs when they won't be as good as the old ones?

Last edited:
Haha I wonder how many people have looked at the title of thread and acutally thought this was true. I wouldn't be surprised if people show up at the OP's house with pitchforks and torches.

Now, that's a cool idea. No joke, I think that would be great! Or make it transform into its own closed carrying case.

edit: Why do people fantansize about this topic?

It's in the "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" category. No real meaning other than mental gymnastics on a shaving forum.

Haha I wonder how many people have looked at the title of thread and acutally thought this was true. I wouldn't be surprised if people show up at the OP's house with pitchforks and torches.

Well, I'd prefer they show up with hedgeclippers and some lawn edging gear, but they'd get a good Salmon feed, regardless.

Top Bottom