What's new

Gillette re-introduces a DE Razor...

sigh.
surely its up to the company outsourcing to them to specify quality standards & materials. And if not, why is it a chinese, rather than a western factory thats cutting corners.

[/politics]

Don't get me wrong. The Western companies are utterly complicent in what goes on. It's part of the bargain they make in order to get their production shifted to militarized work camps with subsistence wages, no social safety net, no workplace safety regulations and no environmental regulations. If the Chinese factory takes (and they will) some extra profit by further cutting corners, the Western companies are more than willing to turn a blind eye to it.

This isn't a slam against Asian companies. I have all the respect in the world for the Japanese companies and their business philosophy--which is actually about building superior products, companies and brands for the long term, while still giving the people who work for them decent lives. I refuse to bow down and accept the Chinese model which is all about building cheap products, grabbing as much money off the table today and worrying about tomorrow, tomorrow and exploiting everyone and everything possible to get there. Where is the Chinese Toyota...or Sony...or Hitachi...Honda, and so on?

Out of curiosity, can anyone name me one world class "brand" that the Chinese have been able to create? I can't. I can, however, name the tainted product scandals: antifreeze in the toothpaste, poisonous dog food, lead paint in toys, toxic drywall, melanin in the baby formula--and that's just in the last 36 months. All of these have one common thread: the desire to pull as much money as quickly off the table by any means and with no contemplation for the future.

BTW, the 3 books story comes from a friend who is over their once a month overseeing the production of espresso machines. He's also told me that they have to "overengineer" the specs given to the Chinese factory in order to correct for the inevitable off-the-books shortcuts that will be taken.

BTW, if Gillette outsourced the production of a new DE to a Japanese company, I'd be the first one in line to buy it.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, can anyone name me one world class "brand" that the Chinese have been able to create? /QUOTE]

All the major golf club manufacturers except PING have their clubs made in Chinese factories. I think Titleist, TaylorMade, Callaway, etc. have solid reputations as well-built clubs.

Granted, the Chinese didn't "create" these brands, but they are outsourcing all their production to Chinese factories and the quality continues to be top-notch.

one of two options,
A) they will go to someone like treet or lord and have a cheap plastic DE done for them, sold in combination with extreamtly expencive de blades, a pack of gillette platiniums, 5 blades is 4 euros in the supermarkets, against the 75 cents a 10 pack of red personnas cost,

B) they will do the same trick they did before changing the hole and size configuration on the blade itself so they can patent it (like then they pushed for the change from the original barrel hole blade to the current configuration)

but then again, this has been discussed on many occasions, and the introduction of a single blade non pivot safety razor by both gillette and wilkinson seems very unlikley, i suspect they only continue to manufacture DE blades for legacy reason (cheap to make and still sell)

It would be a reissue of the Gillette NEW Big Boy.
It would come in a handsome case with an instruction leaflet and a pack of blades.
It would be less then $20 and available world wide.
One can dream....

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
No need to get that technical. The Chinese factory to whom they farmed out production would--through their inevitable cutting of production corners and use of substandard materials to make extra "off the books" profit--accomplish the same thing at no r&d cost to P&G/Gillette.

It's not an exaggeration when someone says that a Chinese factory keeps three sets of books: one for the government, one for their Western customer and the real one.

+++++2 After many years working in Mainland China.

BUT - India is the new China. Fabrication facilities going up faster than you can say "specs".

By the way, Vietnam is not far behind.

one of two options,
A) they will go to someone like treet or lord and have a cheap plastic DE done for them, sold in combination with extreamtly expencive de blades, a pack of gillette platiniums, 5 blades is 4 euros in the supermarkets, against the 75 cents a 10 pack of red personnas cost,

B) they will do the same trick they did before changing the hole and size configuration on the blade itself so they can patent it (like then they pushed for the change from the original barrel hole blade to the current configuration)

but then again, this has been discussed on many occasions, and the introduction of a single blade non pivot safety razor by both gillette and wilkinson seems very unlikley, i suspect they only continue to manufacture DE blades for legacy reason (cheap to make and still sell)

As far as Wilkinson is concerned, it already exists. And it is not made by them, it is produced by Treet. Your assumptions are correct :thumbup:.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7412

You can actually perform a 100% Wilkinson DE shave, with brush+cream+razor+blades :thumbup:.

---snip

BTW, the 3 books story comes from a friend who is over their once a month overseeing the production of espresso machines. He's also told me that they have to "overengineer" the specs given to the Chinese factory in order to correct for the inevitable off-the-books shortcuts that will be taken.

BTW, if Gillette outsourced the production of a new DE to a Japanese company, I'd be the first one in line to buy it.

China is "different" to say the least. Perhaps it is not such a good idea to be spending their money to finance our way of life. I don't think we want to be tied at the hip with that particular country and if we are, we need to maintain the upper hand.

This isn't a slam against Asian companies. I have all the respect in the world for the Japanese companies and their business philosophy--which is actually about building superior products, companies and brands for the long term, while still giving the people who work for them decent lives.

People made the same complaints about the quality of Japanese goods in the past, and with justification. Some of the worst welding I have ever seen was on Japanese bikes from the 1970s.
But I get the feeling that China will find it far harder improving the safety of their products: call me boring if you will, but developed countries have shown that standards institutes, effective state supervision, professional associations, a free press and consumer groups are better than firing squads when it comes pressuring manufacturers into ensuring the safety of their products.
A good milestone for confidence in Chinese goods will be when the first western airline starts buying Chinese airliners.

People made the same complaints about the quality of Japanese goods in the past, and with justification. Some of the worst welding I have ever seen was on Japanese bikes from the 1970s.
But I get the feeling that China will find it far harder improving the safety of their products: call me boring if you will, but developed countries have shown that standards institutes, effective state supervision, professional associations, a free press and consumer groups are better than firing squads when it comes pressuring manufacturers into ensuring the safety of their products.
A good milestone for confidence in Chinese goods will be when the first western airline starts buying Chinese airliners.

Hell, I think european-made airliners are in trouble unless they find that black box.

Top Bottom