What's new

Gillette razors -- the best in the world in their heyday?

Did Gillette make the best double edge razors in the world during the 1920s-30s-40s?

Or were there razor manufacturers making better razors that shaved better and were better constructed?

I wonder about this because I see vintage foreign DE razors on eB from that time period that I am unfamiliar with.

Initially, Gillette had a lock on DE razors because of its patents. We see Patented 1904 on many razors, so with a patent life of 27 years, that would mean the key patents expired in 1931. The key patent, as I understand it, applied to the layout of the double edge razor blade. That's why Gillette switched to the New Type razor and razor blade in 1929.

But it seemed some companies and some countries were skirting the patents by making more or less compatible razors before the patent expired. And after, they were free to produce razors and razor blades using the original three-hole layout. Correct me if I am wrong.

While we're on the subject, were British Gillette razors better than American ones?

Who made the best double edge razors in the world?

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Must first define "best"
If it means---good enough shave, advanced materials(E.g. cobalt steel), difficult craftsmanship, unique appearance, many people drool at it... Then I will vote for "Darwin Deluxe".

This is just a web picture, I don't own it.
I am also one of the drooling people.

11561-acbae09a23ddb8555ed0d50c7d594c32.jpg

Generally speaking, I think they were the best. There were some great foreign razors, as well, but gillette had a really strong run.
As far as British versus American razors go, in my experience the British razors are slightly better.

R

romsitsa

Hello, the original patents of Gillette expired in 1921, but they already lost their protection in the early 1900s in some countries, as local manufacture was required for the patented goods. The New improved was the next protected design, but this wasn't sold in such numbers as the original razor. The New patents were fairly short lived, even in the US.
Besides patent protection Gillettes technique for expansion was to buy its potential competitors.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hello, the original patents of Gillette expired in 1921, but they already lost their protection in the early 1900s in some countries, as local manufacture was required for the patented goods. The New improved was the next protected design, but this wasn't sold in such numbers as the original razor. The New patents were fairly short lived, even in the US.
Besides patent protection Gillettes technique for expansion was to buy its potential competitors.
Exactly. The original Wally World. Mom and Pops never had a chance.

D

dangerousrazor

IMO, nope. In terms of plating quality, they are the best but as we all know, Gillette razors suffered from chronic handle crack till their TTO and Tech era.

and talking about shaving quality, I think there are some superb razors that are superior. but as always, YMMV.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I believe they were the mass market king. Not the best but gave a decent shave at home at a price that most everyone could afford. Which made them the most popular by far. Best? Probably not.

They certainly got something right with the old type. The head is a great mild shaver which lives on in the Merkur open combs (like the 15c)

Sorry, I just realized you were only speaking of double edged razors! I think there were a number of quality European makes, but in the US, Gillette was top shelf.

Did Gillette make the best double edge razors in the world during the 1920s-30s-40s?

Or were there razor manufacturers making better razors that shaved better and were better constructed?

I wonder about this because I see vintage foreign DE razors on eB from that time period that I am unfamiliar with.

Initially, Gillette had a lock on DE razors because of its patents. We see Patented 1904 on many razors, so with a patent life of 27 years, that would mean the key patents expired in 1931. The key patent, as I understand it, applied to the layout of the double edge razor blade. That's why Gillette switched to the New Type razor and razor blade in 1929.

But it seemed some companies and some countries were skirting the patents by making more or less compatible razors before the patent expired. And after, they were free to produce razors and razor blades using the original three-hole layout. Correct me if I am wrong.

While we're on the subject, were British Gillette razors better than American ones?

Who made the best double edge razors in the world?
I have a long list of manufacturers whose razors are better for me. Wardonia, Apollo, Famex, Leresche/L'Essor/Kirby Beard,, Barbasol (Conrad), Stahly, Shake Sharp would be just a start. Are they built better, no (with possible exception of the Barbasol), are they "better" shavers, for me they are.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If there’s a better shave out there than a Slim on setting 9 w a Lord Plat or Rainbow, I’ve never experienced it.

Gillette certainly had the most market share in the DE market. This was because of a combination of innovation, capitalization, manufacturing ability, marketing and a design that provided a decent shave.

At least by the 1930s, Gillette was producing functionally similar razors at various price points. The Senator, Sheraton and Aristocrat of the mid 1930s brought TTO shaving to a depression crowd at prices from $0.89 to $6.00. IMHO, for a DE, you cannot beat the shave of the 1934 Aristocrat. As with most companies, the luxury versions were available a few years before the down market versions.

I have a long list of manufacturers whose razors are better for me. Wardonia, Apollo, Famex, Leresche/L'Essor/Kirby Beard,, Barbasol (Conrad), Stahly, Shake Sharp would be just a start. Are they built better, no (with possible exception of the Barbasol), are they "better" shavers, for me they are.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I agree, especially about Barbasol. I also have to say, for pre 1920, that the Gillette Bulldog is just about perfect.

They definitely made great razors back then and many people are still using them on a daily bases. We're they the best? Like with everyone else in life and in shaving, it's highly debatable and i'm sure everyone has his own opinion on the subject. I personally have a ''small'' collection of vintage Gillette razors and I do enjoy using them from time to time, even though I use my modern razor a bit more often. Also, let's not forget that every other vintage or moden DE razor exists thanks to Gillette whatever we like it or not.

Top Bottom