What's new

Gillette Razor ID

Gents:

My SWMBO went to an antique store and found an old Gillette razor in a brown leather case. Thinking about me, she bought it and presented it to me. I have been digging through the WIKI and am not satisfied that I have positively identified it. The inner stem has a SN# of "C 53419". On the bottom of the razor it has printed: "CAN.PAT.MAR.7.05". I checked the wiki here, http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/US_Gillette_Dating_Information

The serial number range puts it as a 1905 and that would be a Gillette Double Ring. However, after checking the WIKI and looking at the pictures for a double ring, this razor is definitely not a double ring. It's a single ring. Except according to the WIKI, Single Rings were not produced until 1906 and the serial number doesn't match for 1906.

Also, inside the case, there are two metal Gillette Blade boxes that contained 3 NOS blades. They are labled as Thin Gillette Blade in a white and black colored paper and "THIN GILLETTE" is in red ink.

Is this a Canadian Gillette? Did Canadians start producing single rings in 1905 and have a different serial number range? Or did somebody take an inner stem out of a double ring and slap it in this newer razor? What do you think? Would I correctly describe this as a Canadian Single ring OLD type Gillette?

It cleaned up really nice and it is a nice looking razor. I have never used the open comb types. I am completely satisfied with my Mergress and HD so I probably won't be using this. It does have a small crack on the top of the handle and one bent tooth on the end.

James

Attachments

• $IMG_2242.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 129
Looks like one of the earliest single rings as the change from the double ring style to single ring was in 1905, I believe. Interesting that this is a Canadian model. These earliest old types are a tad aggressive for my taste with a modern blade, so mine sit on the collector's shelf more than being used. Some have claimed the use of a shim might help. Nice razor!!

I'm completely happy with my Merkur 34C HD and my Mergress. If I were going to sell this razor - based on the photos that you see, what would you think would be a fair price? I have been unable to find many examples of these in the BST forum. Would it be inaccurate to describe it as a 1905 Canadian Gillette Single ring Old type? I have polished this baby and it shines now like brand new!

James

Top Bottom