What's new

Gillette razor ID - WWII bakelite?

I'm a somewhat late on this reply, it might help.
The included text is taken from a collectors book titled 'The Complete Gillette Collectors Guide' by Phillip L Krumholz. First edition dated 1992. His comments taken from his book are.....
“I’m pleased to show a photo in this book of a Tech razor issued to and carried by razor collector John Holak of Texas during World War II. The cap is cast non-ferrous metal, the head (I believe he means Guard) is plated steel, and the handle is a Bakelite material. Hoak told me, ‘I is GI issue. I carried it from Camp Hood, Texas in May of ’44 to Camp Butner, North Carolina to Camp Lucky Strike (France) an d all through Germany and Austria."
I have several of these three-piece razors all the same, but with a plastic guard and handle, only the cap is metal. All in good condition.

I know someone who is selling these all brand new for €10+pp. I'm thinking of getting one 😅💚

1939-1945 WWII Tech.jpeg

Which word should the people use? That's what it's called.

I think they use the word brass more, though. And Zamak -- too much.

Bakelite was an early plastic more like a resin reinforced with a fiber material.

If you want to see real bakelite look up ( Russian ak47 bakelite magazines . Zoom in on the material and you can see the fiber reinforced resin .

Top Bottom