What's new

Gillette razor blade recycling

Those red sharps containers get incinerated by the companies that pick up medical waste from hospitals and doctors offices.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

these sharps containers are incinerated more for hygiene and to stop the possibility of follow on blood contamination .
which in my eyes is a good idea with all the bad blood out there .

Different countries have different ways of recycling and destroying trash so what works for me might not work for you.

You have to check with your local authorities if you are concerned about the environment.

In singapore this is how things work so I'm pretty confident I can just throw my used blades in a chute and it'll get properly taken care of by the government.

I do use straights. And everyone should be concerned with waste.

OTOH, most of what archeologists excavate are ancient trash dumps, so it's depriving those in the future of a source of income. :001_302:

An Analysis of the Cartridge Culture of North America, by Flijit Ver. 6.1.3. A statistical survey of trash middens yields a revised date for when the Harry People supplanted the Gillette Culture.

Okay, in a serious vein, blades are so thin, are they really recyclable? The problem with melting town some thin aluminum is that you end up with a high amount of dross per metal. Not to mention there's a problem of the energy expended. Would it take more energy to obtain usable steel from razor blades than to process an equivalent weight of raw ore?

If someone has a goal of limiting their trash output, straight razors and shaving soap does seem like the way to go.

For me I just like the idea of Gillette wanting to help lessen the amount of trash we just burry.
I wouldn’t feel guilty about a few razor blades being thrown away. It’s not the consumers driving the problem of over-filled landfills or recycling centers, it’s manufacturers. Every product we buy these days whether it’s TV’s, computers, cars, machines, equipment, etc.etc, has planned obsolescence built right into it. The manufacturer wants you to throw everything away and upgrade every year, and when they build s****y products, we, the consumers, have no choice but to do so. Keep shaving with the blades you like, seal them up and throw them in the garbage when you’re done. It’s that easy. It’s great to be concerned about the environment, but just remember that we have much bigger fish to fry.

I completely agree with that. Life expectancy of electronics is 5 years from date of manufacturing. I am not saying I'm trying to go out of my way to recycle these blades. I just thought they were saying you could also recycle these blades and thought it was a good idea.

I completely agree with that. Life expectancy of electronics is 5 years from date of manufacturing. I am not saying I'm trying to go out of my way to recycle these blades. I just thought they were saying you could also recycle these blades and thought it was a good idea.
I agree with you, they should have a way to recycle them. Having used, razor sharp blades strewn around the landfill or recycling center is not only a health hazard, but a safety hazard. I’m not aware of any program to do so, at least not in my community here in Florida.

now my thoughts on the recycling ..
1) a de blade is just one small sliver of steel that is eazy to recycle .
2) a cartridge is a mix of plastics and steel and god knows what else in the lubra strip.
I dont see how these are eazy to recycle ?

so in my eyes the de blade is better for the environment than a cartridge .
well we know its better at giving us a shave opps I may be wrong then again I may not.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I suppose it all depends on what is recycled in your area. We put all plastics that have the recycling triangle with the number in it in the recycling bin. But I know that not all of these plastics are recycled at our tip. They select what they can send away and the rest goes to landfill.

Well...there's life expectancy and then there's life expectancy. Consumer electronic are considered obsolete in just a few years, but they're only really obsolete if you can't use it anymore.

Something that makes it hard to repair electronics now is surface mount tech where all the components are so tiny. That puts things on the replace the board level of repair, and that's only good as long as you can get your hands on those parts. Add in the lower cost of manufacturing, and higher cost of labor, and you're at the point where it's often cheaper to discard than repair.

I agree with you, they should have a way to recycle them. Having used, razor sharp blades strewn around the landfill or recycling center is not only a health hazard, but a safety hazard. I’m not aware of any program to do so, at least not in my community here in Florida.
Take them to a medical facility for disposal when your blade bank is full.

Clayton

Well...there's life expectancy and then there's life expectancy. Consumer electronic are considered obsolete in just a few years, but they're only really obsolete if you can't use it anymore.

Something that makes it hard to repair electronics now is surface mount tech where all the components are so tiny. That puts things on the replace the board level of repair, and that's only good as long as you can get your hands on those parts. Add in the lower cost of manufacturing, and higher cost of labor, and you're at the point where it's often cheaper to discard than repair.
Don't discard your electronics, recycle them.

Clayton

now my thoughts on the recycling ..
1) a de blade is just one small sliver of steel that is eazy to recycle .
2) a cartridge is a mix of plastics and steel and god knows what else in the lubra strip.
I dont see how these are eazy to recycle ?

so in my eyes the de blade is better for the environment than a cartridge .
well we know its better at giving us a shave opps I may be wrong then again I may not.

That gets back into the energy used to recycle. If you use more energy to recycle than to process raw material, arguably that had a larger impact than just burying the stuff.

The idea of DE blades and sharps rattling around in a landfill had come up, but just how long with thin metal like a DE blade remain intact under those conditions? Suspect that, buried in dirt, they don't have much longevity. OTOH plastics in a cartridge does. So a century from now, we may not have DE blades still rattling in a landfill, and maybe not the blade in a cartridge, but the plastic cartridge itself is going to be with us.

OTOH, with a straight razor, the only thing you discard is a tiny bit of metal during honing, a bit of the grit on the honing stone, initial packaging for razor, strop, hone, brush, and mug, and subsequent packaging for soap and aftershave. If the environment is a concern, that seems to be the way to go.

That gets back into the energy used to recycle. If you use more energy to recycle than to process raw material, arguably that had a larger impact than just burying the stuff.

The idea of DE blades and sharps rattling around in a landfill had come up, but just how long with thin metal like a DE blade remain intact under those conditions? Suspect that, buried in dirt, they don't have much longevity. OTOH plastics in a cartridge does. So a century from now, we may not have DE blades still rattling in a landfill, and maybe not the blade in a cartridge, but the plastic cartridge itself is going to be with us.

OTOH, with a straight razor, the only thing you discard is a tiny bit of metal during honing, a bit of the grit on the honing stone, initial packaging for razor, strop, hone, brush, and mug, and subsequent packaging for soap and aftershave. If the environment is a concern, that seems to be the way to go.

I disagree if the environment is the chief concern then straights are not the way to go this is .
thB8JLVX1O.jpg

when I still smoked, I chose Chesterfield Kings because they didn't leave a filter behind. The left no litter at all if you didn't stub them out outside, they'd just burn to pure ash and blow away.

Many DE blades come in plastic containers. But they are trivial to put in the "plastic" recycle bin. But there are some grams plastic used here but maybe less than a cartridge. A man that have teflon coated tungsten whiskers and need one fresh blade every shave will surely throw away some of those containers over a year.

l wonder if someone with metal forging skills has ever turned spent (or new for that matter...) DE blades into a knife or a straight razor? l've seen YouTube videos of blacksmiths making blades from strange materials like fish hooks and ball bearings and chains etc. You'd think a blade made from the same metal as a Feather or whatever your favorite DE blade is would make an awesome knife or straight razor, eh?

Top Bottom