What's new

Gillette Rangers

Hello All,

I need a little education about Gillette Rangers. First of all, are they all properly know as "Gillette Ranger Techs"? Next, were they only made in 1941 and 1946? Lastly, how do you tell the difference between years? Is it just that the 1946 has end caps and the 1941 doesn't?

Thanks Much!

These razors depending the finish were sold as Ranger Techs or Milords.

The nickel plated versions were produced and sold as Ranger Techs in 1941 into 42. They lack any end caps on the tabs, patent info is stamped on the smooth band on the handle. When gold washed they were sold as in Milord sets from 1940 into 42.

The second iteration made after WWII when nickel plated were sold as Ranger Tech though I've never seen any evidence of this as being the brand name but the razors do exist. They had end caps and the patent info is stamped on the base plate. These were produced and sold in 1946 up until about November of 1947 when the Super Speed was introduced. When gold washed they were also sold in Milord sets from 1946 through 1947/48.

For whatever reasons the 41 Ranger Techs are fairly common while the 46 versions are hard to come by. If you want that razor they are a lot easier to acquire as a Milord for the 46 - 47 version.

These razors depending the finish were sold as Ranger Techs or Milords.

The nickel plated versions were produced and sold as Ranger Techs in 1941 into 42. They lack any end caps on the tabs, patent info is stamped on the smooth band on the handle. When gold washed they were sold as in Milord sets from 1940 into 42.

The second iteration made after WWII when nickel plated were sold as Ranger Tech though I've never seen any evidence of this as being the brand name but the razors do exist. They had end caps and the patent info is stamped on the base plate. These were produced and sold in 1946 up until about November of 1947 when the Super Speed was introduced. When gold washed they were also sold in Milord sets from 1946 through 1947/48.

For whatever reasons the 41 Ranger Techs are fairly common while the 46 versions are hard to come by. If you want that razor they are a lot easier to acquire as a Milord for the 46 - 47 version.

Great summary!! :a14::a14::a14:

46 Milord / 41 Ranger Tech
IMG_9352.JPG

Some pictures and a curve ball.

Here is what is also termed pre war 41 and post war 46 - 47 Ranger Techs side by side. Pre on the left post on the right for both pictures.
r1.jpg r2.jpg

For the curveball.
Now you have what is for all practical purposes a Ranger Tech on a Super Speed handle. They made 3 iterations of the 40s style Super Speed, all are different shavers from each other, this one which is the first iteration was made in 47 and early 48. Both these razors far as I can tell shave the same. The later 2 iterations deviate shave wise from the Ranger Tech. The key feature here is the safety bar is curved on both. Second and third iterations of the Super Speed it is creased.

Post war Ranger on the left and first iteration Super Speed on the right in both pictures.
r3.jpg r4.jpg

Another curve ball for you...

Pictured below is what I believe to be a pre-war Ranger Tech (‘41 or early ‘42). Note the un-plated, bare brass head with nickel plated handle. The rumor is that when Gillette was transitioning to war time production, they simply assembled un-plated heads to nickel plated handles to get them out the door of the factory faster.
76838E6B-3192-4167-AE6B-9597EF08146C.jpeg

The Ranger Tech years were an interesting time in Gillette razor history for sure.

Another curve ball for you...

Pictured below is what I believe to be a pre-war Ranger Tech (‘41 or early ‘42). Note the un-plated, bare brass head with nickel plated handle.
This razor is unofficially called a "Hybrid Ranger Tech". At first glance, I thought you posted one of my pictures because I have a similar textured bathroom counter, but was mistaken.

It may be granite from the same quarry :001_smile.

I found this “Hybrid Ranger Tech” at an antique store mislabeled as a Super Speed. I thought $15 was a good price.

R

romsitsa

Just opening a can of worms. The 1946 Ranger Tech has a patent stamp in the plate, similar to 1946 Aristocrats, so in theory it was produced after the "Tech" was dropped from the name of the one piece Gillettes, so I suspect it wasn't called a Ranger Tech.

And as some Superspeed instructions show a lower smooth band razor with a notched head, there could be unnotched Superspeeds with a smooth lower band (looking the same as a 1946 Ranger).

Adam

I know that this is an elderly thread but I’ll post a picture later of a very unusual “Ranger Tech” that has a brass head that has patent info stamped in the head and a plain ring above the TTO knob, a plated no-notch with lightly plated handle and plated side caps. I am guessing early post war pre SS.

I have compared it to a couple of prewar Rangers that I have and a brass headed, brass no notch (hybrid) and it is just unusual. Obviously it is some sort of factory “lunchbox” razor made post war. Any thoughts?

I know just post a picture

Last edited:
I know that this is an elderly thread but I’ll post a picture later of a very unusual “Ranger Tech” that has a brass head that has patent info stamped in the head and a plain ring above the TTO knob, a plated no-notch with lightly plated handle and plated side caps. I am guessing early post war pre SS.

I have compared it to a couple of prewar Rangers that I have and a brass headed, brass no notch (hybrid) and it is just unusual. Obviously it is some sort of factory “lunchbox” razor made post war. Any thoughts?

Top Bottom