What's new

Gillette Pure Shave Cream

The cream burned me terribly, and even left a rash for a few hours after my shave.

I have sensitive skin and many products don't agree with me, but the Pure was still really bad.

I also tried the Pure gel with no problems, and for quick and easy goop, it wasn't too bad.

I'm surprised that a products marketed as "pure" to go along with their SkinGuard razors for sensitive skin would contain menthol, peppermint oil and a strong fragrance. I assume many people are going to have bad reactions.

The cream burned me terribly, and even left a rash for a few hours after my shave.

I have sensitive skin and many products don't agree with me, but the Pure was still really bad.

I also tried the Pure gel with no problems, and for quick and easy goop, it wasn't too bad.

I'm surprised that a products marketed as "pure" to go along with their SkinGuard razors for sensitive skin would contain menthol, peppermint oil and a strong fragrance. I assume many people are going to have bad reactions.

I of course don't know your skin but I assume it's the peppermint oil. Many people have reported having issues with that specific EO. I do like this product but I wish they made a...'plain' or 'original' version with even less in it.

For that application I highly prefer it to cremo. Cremo just refuses to rinse of my skin for some reason and I always get little micro cuts and aftershave burn when using cremo. Neither of those happen with the pure.

I did get a slight tingle, but it didn't burn or leave a rash.

Either of you try the Barbasol shave cream in the tube?

Peppermint oil and menthol usually don't cause me any problems except with soap or creme is overloaded with the stuff. For instance, I love Proraso Green and sometimes wash my face with Dr. Bronner's Peppermint.

I usually react to the fragrance oils and perfume in products, but some of the chemicals I can barely pronounce probably don't help matters.

I found this in a Stop & Shop grocery store yesterday afternoon in upstate New York. I had never seen it before and it appears to be a new product. I tried it for the first time last night and really liked it. It's not the best product I've ever used, but it certainly did the trick. It's also a real lathering shave cream, which seams to be marketed towards people that have chemical sensitivities. I'm not going to give a full review here, but I will tell you that the scent is very pleasant and it is quite slick and protective. My nose isn't the best when it comes to picking out scent notes, but I'll call the scent generic Gillette fougere. Opening the tube, I knew I had smelled that scent before, but I couldn't put my finger on where or when. It may very well be that it's the same scent as one of Gillette's aftershaves. Someone with a better handle on scents can perhaps try this and let use know what that scent is. The instructions say to use your fingers or a brush to lather. It definitely worked well with my Vulfix badger. This is probably the first lathering shave cream Gillette has released in the US in decades. I'd love for some other people to try this and let me know what you think.
View attachment 943550

Sound Fair! we usually heard very less about Gillette Shaving Cream, I'm currently using the Art Of Shaving Cream, and really quite happy with it, but its takes courage to try something new I would keep an eye next time I would go for shopping, how strong the scent?

The Art of Shaving cream is significantly better than the Gillette Pure, but it's also about 5 times the price.

If you don't have an allergic reaction like me, the Pure is probably a decent, cheap and readily available value cream

The Art of Shaving cream is significantly better than the Gillette Pure, but it's also about 5 times the price.

If you don't have an allergic reaction like me, the Pure is probably a decent, cheap and readily available value cream

I agree. It's local availability is a huge factor for me. The next best thing I can find is Bigelow cream but the tubes are always so old (at my local store) that the cream is brownish and water has separated from it. I also have a local supply of $1.25 Williams pucks but that stuff doesn't work for me.

I wonder if this will expand to other markets outside the USA. Looks to be a pretty decent product for something made by Gillette and sold at grocery stores.
I found some today at a Walmart in Amherst, Nova Scotia.

Very interested... is anyone able to compare this to la toja or niveas, both in a tube?
I was looking for a tube of Nivea (which I usually use to mix with soaps and croaps), but it seems to have disappeared from all the shelves around here. Instead I found the Pure, and decided to give it a try. I like the scent better than Nivea, which seems to bland to me. I bowl-lathered the Pure tonight, and it ended up a bit pasty after it had been on my skin for a while, but I think it was just from not using enough water.

Next couple of shaves I'm going to try adding it to Proraso Green, Proraso White, Wilkinson Sword, or other problematic soaps.

Another thing I like about Pure over the Nivea is the captive flip-top cap. A minor feature, but I appreciated it nevertheless. The Nivea cap is easy to cross-thread.
Any chance of matching balm for Pure?
It (the Pure cream) reminded me immediately of either the Gillette Aftershave Balm or the Gillette Aftershave Lotion for Sensitive Skin - I forget which I had because it was two years ago - but a bit more menthol/mint than in the AS/Balm.

If anybody spots this on the shelves...the tubes aren't sealed so you can sneak a little trial squirt & sniff...
That was actually a major selling point for me. A bit less of "a pig in a poke".

Overall, I like it. It'll be my new favourite cheap cream that is available locally.

the other day i tried equal squirts of gillette pure and cremo cooling onto my brush and face lathered. holy moly that had some extra zing to it!!!

if you think your skin can handle the minty fireworks...the gillette feels kinda warming, the cremo adds some cooling, and the combo of both their peppermints brings on a really nice tingling / slap in the face / wakeup blast to the shave. Not for the sensitive types, this is for the more adventurous folk

II bowl-lathered the Pure tonight, and it ended up a bit pasty after it had been on my skin for a while, but I think it was just from not using enough water.
Yup.
Tonight I used more product and a lot more water, and bowl-lathered with a soaked Semogue 620 boar instead of a dryish synthetic.
Much nicer.

the other day i tried equal squirts of gillette pure and cremo cooling onto my brush and face lathered. holy moly that had some extra zing to it!!!

if you think your skin can handle the minty fireworks...the gillette feels kinda warming, the cremo adds some cooling, and the combo of both their peppermints brings on a really nice tingling / slap in the face / wakeup blast to the shave. Not for the sensitive types, this is for the more adventurous folk
Huh. I find it much milder than than the menthol of Proraso Green.
I was going to use the Pure to moderate the Green.

Yup.
Tonight I used more product and a lot more water, and bowl-lathered with a soaked Semogue 620 boar instead of a dryish synthetic.
Much nicer.

Huh. I find it much milder than than the menthol of Proraso Green.
I was going to use the Pure to moderate the Green.

Doesn't anyone ever just put a bit of cream by itself on a wet brush and face lather? :)

My toxic masculinity prevents me from ever using any Gillette products.

Thank you for your productive contribution to the thread.

Doesn't anyone ever just put a bit of cream by itself on a wet brush and face lather?

Depends on the cream. Pure is pretty runny. I have more control over the amount and distribution of the cream by spreading it on my face and face lathering. For a thicker cream, say The Body Shop Maca Root cream, I'll load by dipping the tips of my brush in the tub and face lathering.

Depends on the cream. Pure is pretty runny. I have more control over the amount and distribution of the cream by spreading it on my face and face lathering. For a thicker cream, say The Body Shop Maca Root cream, I'll load by dipping the tips of my brush in the tub and face lathering.

Huh. I don't remember having it be runny when I used it. But it's been a couple weeks since I brought it out. I forget things like that sometimes. Maybe I'll get it back out tonight and see if I have that problem. Usually with tube-based creams I just squirt an inch or so onto an appropriately wet brush and lather away.

The only other lathering cream in tubes I have handy are Proraso, Erasmic, and an AoS sample because I normally use soap. I'll have to see about comparing.

You were right, the Pure is pretty wet compared to the other creams I usually use. That didn't turn out to be much of a problem, I just shook a bit of the water off my brush and lathered as usual. Worked well. Got a good painless shave today.

It will be a long, long time before I run out lather products to the extent that I have to buy anything new, but I wouldn't mind buying this again.

@zed117 said:
Any chance of matching balm for Pure?
It (the Pure cream) reminded me immediately of either the Gillette Aftershave Balm or the Gillette Aftershave Lotion for Sensitive Skin - I forget which I had because it was two years ago - but a bit more menthol/mint than in the AS/Balm.
I stand corrected.
I snuck a sniffable sample of the Gillette AS Lotion for Sensitive Skin in the store today, and rubbed it on the back of my hand.
The base notes of the lotion turned out more like cinnamon than any kind of mint or menthol. The top notes seemed a bit similar to the Pure though.

This is my experience as well. I don't like it when a product is marketed as pure or sensitive and then when you smell it it has a strong perfumy fragrance. When I saw Gillette Pure in the store I was hoping for a scent free product. No such luck unfortunately.

Top Bottom