What's new

Gillette Pure Shave Cream

Can we talk about for a minute how great the tube is? Large size so it sits outside of cabinets in a prominent location that you tend to reach for, squashy tube that you can easily squirt straight onto the brush, tube sits on its head so the cream collects at the dispenser spout...

So much better than any cream I’ve got. Metal tubes particularly irk me. I also hate creams in tubs.

Does any other cream come a tube like this?
I agree that the Pure tube is well-designed. It's one of the two creams that I use (the other is Nivea Sensitive).

As for creams that come in a similar tube, there are a bunch of them. Some come with a flip-top, others with a screw-on cap. For example:

Gillette (India)
Taylor of Old Bond Street
Cremo
Truefitt & Hill
D.R. Harris
St. James of London
The Real Shaving Company
Pacific Shaving Company
Geo. F. Trumper
Art of Shaving
Edwin Jagger
Cella
Godrej
Super-Max
Speick
Muhle
Erasmic
Old Spice
Acqua di Parma

I've tried some of these and Gillette Pure and Nivea easily outperform many of them, in my opinion.

I used Pure again today and this stuff still amazes me. I love it. I think anyone who is thinking about trying this and is not sure, I say go ahead and do it. You won't be sorry.

Pure3.JPG

Pure has been my daily cream for a while now. It's really quite good, whether you use it with a brush or without; I love both the scent and performance with carts and DE. It's nice to have a solid option available locally and I plan to stick with it.

Pure has been my daily cream for a while now. It's really quite good, whether you use it with a brush or without; I love both the scent and performance with carts and DE. It's nice to have a solid option available locally and I plan to stick with it.

I like the idea of something I can buy locally. It's performance is really good. This will probably be the only cream I buy now.

My local Walmart seems to rollback the price of Gillette Pure fairly often.

In October 2019, the regular price was $5.97 CAD ($4.34 USD), but rolled back to $4.97 CAD ($3.60 USD), so I bought two tubes. Then, in January, they rolled it back again to $3.97 CAD ($2.88 USD), so I bought two more tubes.

My regular cream, Nivea Sensitive, costs $3.99 CAD but is getting hard to find. Since Gillette Pure is cost-competitive, I'll have something to fall back to if Nivea disappears.

My local Walmart seems to rollback the price of Gillette Pure fairly often.

In October 2019, the regular price was $5.97 CAD ($4.34 USD), but rolled back to $4.97 CAD ($3.60 USD), so I bought two tubes. Then, in January, they rolled it back again to $3.97 CAD ($2.88 USD), so I bought two more tubes.

My regular cream, Nivea Sensitive, costs $3.99 CAD but is getting hard to find. Since Gillette Pure is cost-competitive, I'll have something to fall back to if Nivea disappears.

You are paying half of what I pay. I jealous.

You are paying half of what I pay. I jealous.
That's the paradox of Canadian pricing. Cheap stuff is usually close to U.S. pricing, regardless of the exchange rate. So, Gillette Pure's Canadian MSRP is $5.99, same as the U.S. Companies have realized that we won't buy something like Pure if it's priced according to the current exchange rate, which would be ~$8.20 USD.

That kind of stuff acts as a loss-leader, to the benefit of us Canucks.

Mid-priced stuff cleaves closely to MSRP or slightly under. For example, the lower end Simpsons brushes stick to the exchange rate, such as a Berkeley 46 with MSRP of £38.60 going for $60 CAD (~$6 below MSRP).

But, the high-end is where the ripoff happens. For example, the Chubby 3 Super's MSRP is £234.60 (or ~$395 CAD). Fendrihan has it for $420 last I checked. Some places have it for $500. The Shopping Channel (only a fool would buy it there) has it for $600 CAD!

That's probably why a lot of Canadians shop at WCS, Maggard's, Connaught, etc. Even with shipping costs and delays, it's sometimes way cheaper for the "good stuff".

Picked up a tube a few weeks ago and had my first shave with it this evening. Pleasantly surprised at the lather, as well as post shave feel. Even better that it is widely available.

Will happily keep this in my dopp kit for overnight trips.

So, I have been looking high and low locally for proraso with no luck. I saw this at Walgreens for six bucks, and based on the reviews here I picked it up. I am a bowl latherer. Do I use my trusty Semoge 1305 boar brush or my el cheapo synthetic travel brush? Really wet brush or well shaken out brush?

So, I have been looking high and low locally for proraso with no luck. I saw this at Walgreens for six bucks, and based on the reviews here I picked it up. I am a bowl latherer. Do I use my trusty Semoge 1305 boar brush or my el cheapo synthetic travel brush? Really wet brush or well shaken out brush?
I'd say however you lather normally. Gillette Pure lathered just like any other cream for me.

So gave this a whirl yesterday with my synthetic travel brush in my Fine Accoutrements lather bowl just like I would do with Proraso. Used a good size noodle on the bottom of the bowl to assure that I had enough product. It built a nice thick lather but took about 30% longer to do so than with other soaps and creams I have used. Performance was pretty good. Honestly I didn't notice much of a fragrance or menthol effect. So far so good for a six dollar tube. Now here is the problem-it didn't rinse cleanly at all. Usually all I do is dab off the excess lather with a cold damp wash cloth. No deal here. Had to splash with cold water and a wash cloth and still felt like there was s residue on my face.

Anybody else here have that experience?

Seems like it could use some Sodium Laureth Sulfate in the formula.

I got this recently and might have squirted too much in my bowl as it made a quart of lather. As with most creams it leaves a large amount of residue in my sink and probably my face and brush. I guess it's a combo of cream and my awful super hard water.

Gave this another try this morning. I used a boar brush instead of a synthetic, and used a little more water. I didn't run into the rinsing problem that I had before, it rinses cleanly. However this time I noticed the aroma more. Strongly camphor, smelling a lot like bug spray. Performance was fine, leathering was easy, etc. I'm just having a difficult time warming up to this shave cream.

Top Bottom