What's new

Gillette PURE Shave Cream Optimization Results

Summary

• Gillette PURE Shave Cream was optimized with my standard process of using an initially dry synthetic-hair brush and bowl lathering precise amounts that were varied from shave to shave in finding the best combination of cream mass, water mass, and lather-building time
  • The cream was purchased on June 23, 2019, and it took seven (7) daily shaves to optimize. The water-to-cream ratio was nonsequentially varied from 3 to 10, yielding slickness and post-shave quality that peaked around a hydration ratio of 5. The best lather-building time was found to be around 45 seconds, which was the approximate minimum amount of time needed to build a stable, decent-looking lather. 75 seconds of lather building yielded less density and slightly worse slickness.
  • Gillette PURE is not good. It's not the worst soap or cream that I've evaluated, but it is ranked low primarily because of its lackluster slickness and post-shave comfort. The scum that the shaving cream leaves behind is also unfortunate. Ranking was performed without any tests because my records and memory were good enough to suffice for fair placement.

Optimum Lather Overview

Sheen is fairly matte. Lather is quite aerated with very stiff peaks and no yogurt-like behavior of stringiness. Adhesion and application are okay. The scent is faintly present. Slickness is mostly okay to pretty good with some moderate friction and a little significant friction. Cushion/protection is okay, at best, not much. Post-shave is good with respect to moisture, but okay with respect to comfort because of some tightness and low-level irritation that tends to begin upon application for the third pass. A little scum is left on the brush handle and there is scum buildup on the blade after several shaves.

Optimum Lather Table

full

Ah... This is the one for the western markets. If you can get your hands on the indian gillette cream, it should be better. It comes in a black toothpaste-style tube.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for you review of Palmolive shaving cream. I thought that it might rate a little better than it did for you. But as usual YMMV.

I just used this for the first time yesterday. I put a typical amount in my shave bowl and within seconds I had what I thought was a rich lather; I agree with your description that it was "matte", and did seem kind of "thin", I would equate it to foam from a can. I always apply my cream to my head and face simultaneously, and then go at my face first. The face application was deceivingly cushiony, as it applied thickish, but quickly thinned, got one weeper tho only. The disappointing piece was that by the time I got to my head, it had all but tinned out completely and I had to reapply, not something I experience with Proraso white or green. I also found it very difficult to rinse off my razor between passes, and clogs easily.

As for the scent: best I can describe is a combo of Proraso Red White and Blue...blue being the dominating scent.

I only paid $6 for this 7oz tube...I will keep it for emergency or pawn it off on my dad who will use anything as long as its free.

Ah... This is the one for the western markets. If you can get your hands on the indian gillette cream, it should be better. It comes in a black toothpaste-style tube.

Interesting! Thanks for the tip. :001_smile

Thanks for you review of Palmolive shaving cream. I thought that it might rate a little better than it did for you. But as usual YMMV.

You're welcome, Andrew. Maybe I'll get to Palmolive someday. Up next is a soap that I've had on my wish list for a long time... WhollyKaw.

I just used this for the first time yesterday. I put a typical amount in my shave bowl and within seconds I had what I thought was a rich lather; I agree with your description that it was "matte", and did seem kind of "thin", I would equate it to foam from a can. I always apply my cream to my head and face simultaneously, and then go at my face first. The face application was deceivingly cushiony, as it applied thickish, but quickly thinned, got one weeper tho only. The disappointing piece was that by the time I got to my head, it had all but tinned out completely and I had to reapply, not something I experience with Proraso white or green. I also found it very difficult to rinse off my razor between passes, and clogs easily.

As for the scent: best I can describe is a combo of Proraso Red White and Blue...blue being the dominating scent.

I only paid $6 for this 7oz tube...I will keep it for emergency or pawn it off on my dad who will use anything as long as its free.

I threw the rest of mine out. Your experience sounds similar to mine. You are right that Gillette PURE is like foam from a can. That's a good analogy. Thanks for your feedback. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in disliking Gillette PURE. :001_smile

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Someone needs new glasses, thanks for your review on Gillette Pure NOT Palmolive shaving cream.

One of the people who helped create Gillette PURE has an account here and posted about it when it first hit the shelves. They used the Indian product base to make PURE, with a few modifications. Went looking for the link, think I found it

Gillette Pure Shave Cream

One of the people who helped create Gillette PURE has an account here and posted about it when it first hit the shelves. They used the Indian product base to make PURE, with a few modifications. Went looking for the link, think I found it

Wonder if, based on some of the reviews in the post you link to, if this was ever meant to be touched by a brush? Seems like a direct face application may be worth one try before I send this off to dad’s den.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder if, based on some of the reviews in the post you link to, if this was ever meant to be touched by a brush? Seems like a direct face application may be worth one try before I send this off to dad’s den.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know. I have a tube and used it a couple of times by applying to a relatively dry brush and face lathering. Worked all right for me. My lathering products drawer is a bit overstuffed at the moment but if I ever found myself in a place without any cream and found this, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Some us like a bit of science when shaving and @ShavingByTheNumbers you never let us down. Great article and I like it.
Have some great shaves!

Thanks, Ron! I appreciate it! You have some great shaves, too! :thumbup1:

Very interesting! Thanks! :001_smile

Top Bottom