What's new

Gillette Prototype!

Thought that would get your attention:w00t:

OK, so I've read a little that this creature exists but whats the story behind a Prototype and does anyone have pictures to identify one? Did a search in ShaveWiki with no luck.

What Prototype do you mean? I´ve this one. It´looks like a long handle Aristocrat, but I know nothing about him:

proxy.php

Goodness, Achim! I thought prototype would be referring to the bottom dial FatBoy or one of the 5 position Toggles. But a long handle Aristocrat? That is incredible! You never cease to amaze. Thanks for sharing.

I have a question about prototypes. Generally speaking, a prototype razor would not have a case or be date coded, right? But there are two versions of the 195 bottom adjustable -- a 5 setting with no date code, and a 9 setting with a D1 date code and a case with the magnifying lens on the right side of the lid. Is it possible that the 9 setting model saw some very limited test marketing? Why else make a case for it?

Is it possible that the 9 setting model saw some very limited test marketing? Why else make a case for it?

While in my mind, the term prototype means: item not yet perfect, still undergoing testing, and further modification, thus not for sale.

It would appear from what I have gleaned reading the boards, that Gillette may have offered some of the so called Prototypes for testing to their retailers, or as demo pieces to show what was forthcoming.

The demo piece would have been carried around by the Gillette salesmen, perhaps in order to get advance orders in on a item that was not quite ready for shipment.

As a demo piece, the case would have made it look more polished, and thus give the perception that the item was close to being ready for delivery.

I think this is the one everybody is talking about.

View attachment 101545

Len

That pic is very intriguing - it's not really an open comb - it looks as if there is a solid safety bar and the tooth part of the comb has the pressed in thin lines that full bar razors have. Almost looks as if someone took a standard Gillette and milled some teeth into it.

That pic is very intriguing - it's not really an open comb - it looks as if there is a solid safety bar and the tooth part of the comb has the pressed in thin lines that full bar razors have. Almost looks as if someone took a standard Gillette and milled some teeth into it.

That idea was put forth in a recent thread about that razor, but there really isn't any way that a standard flare tip razor could be machined into a closed comb version.

From what I can guess, this is a Super Speed bed, that didn't have the holes stamped out, and an open comb created. Since the comb is technically closed at the end, this may have violated a patent owned by another company, so it was never issued for sale, but people inside the company had them "special made" as we have seen two identical ones.

Cool looking piece, it looks like Gillette took a regular safety bar and slotted it lik an open comb based on the ridges I see in the teeth.

That is the coolest looking SS I have ever seen. How does it shave in comparison to a regular flair-tip SS? Congrats on an extremely rare find!

Top Bottom