What's new

Gillette President, curious about these closed auctions

$510 Gillette President

vs.

$240 Gillette President

Any ideas on the price range difference? Came across one in an antique shop over the weekend and was shown the top completed auction. Theirs was priced at $350 so relative to that, a decent deal. But to my eye does not look any different than the $240 one. Will appreciate any & all conjecture.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
The case appears to be in better shape on the more expensive one. It may also have been the winner of that one was willing to go big, or two people were.

I don't know, but the first one is missing an end cap (eww) and I could be wrong, but the second razor isn't an Aristocrat. Judging by the knurling on the handle, it looks more like a Rhodium/Nickel plated Aristocrat than a President.

I'm no expert, but I was always left with the impression that Presidents are slightly more expensive compared to Aristocrats, since they are not as common and because rhodium plating is much better than gold plating, but shavewise they should be the same.

For much less you can buy pretty much any British Aristocrat in great condition with a box, which is a much better option imho.

Edit: Oh nevermind, it seems that there are Presidents with smooth bands on their handles too.

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I do believe the president came with a smooth band or the knurled band. It was almost like they sent whatever they had to be stamped and Rhodium plated. Of course I have no idea why they used both razors.

I'd walk in with two hundred dollar bills and tell him you're willing to leave them behind for the razor.
Just put them on the counter, done!

Now that I am more clued in on condition issues especially for the case I want to give it a good looking over.

Nor I. I saw it and it did not immediately click as to what it was. That's when they went to the auction. Put me on the back foot.
Fatboys auction of for $40, sometimes $80 in the same condition at the same time. Same with these aristocrats. Perhaps start with one hundred dollar bill and point that out...

R

romsitsa

It's a niche market, so hard to tell what happened. A possible scenario (and there are many more): winner of the 1st auction collects Presidents with all possible date codes and this one was badly missing from the collection.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’m amazed that actual “antique “ stores full to the rafters let a willing buyer walk. I’ve seen that method a thousand times even as a kid and never understood it. If I ran a shop like that I’d want to make sales judging by the amount of crap in these places they don’t sell but satisfy some horder instinct of the owner.

I just saw where a Y1 President in good condition without a case went for $113 with 21 bids and a nice NDC Aristocrat with a case went for $97 and it had 36 bids. To me, that's still a bit high.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I’m amazed that actual “antique “ stores full to the rafters let a willing buyer walk. I’ve seen that method a thousand times even as a kid and never understood it. If I ran a shop like that I’d want to make sales judging by the amount of crap in these places they don’t sell but satisfy some horder instinct of the owner.
In many cases, the store rents spaces out and the vendors that rent the spaces set their own prices.
The store has no real interest in keeping a buyer from walking and a change in price, unless the selling vendor has said they can drop the price by x percent, requires the store to contact the vendor/seller and get the ok.
Whereas an individual vendor might be willing, that's extra work for the store staff.

In many cases, the store rents spaces out and the vendors that rent the spaces set their own prices.
The store has no real interest in keeping a buyer from walking and a change in price, unless the selling vendor has said they can drop the price by x percent, requires the store to contact the vendor/seller and get the ok.
Whereas an individual vendor might be willing, that's extra work for the store staff.
i agree with your insight, as always superbly put.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Blast from the past.
I suppose you are right in a vendor scenario where the actual seller is off site and the go between just follows orders. But I’m thinking of stores run buy the proprietor on site.
I’m more convinced than ever that a large part of this is the hoarder disability. And there is just a lot of crap occupying this world. Who knows what profit margins really are but I’m sure we can all agree that no one pays top dollar. Most people who want to unload stuff have no idea of the value or just need a willing buyer and they take what’s offered. Or a few dollars more over a low ball offer so you feel like it was a negotiation. My business model would be priced to move no reasonable offer refused that’s for sure. But I’m not in the business it’s just my observations. It’s got to be a full time job to research a private collection ranging from vintage razors to Japanese metals to swords. French antiquities. Etc.

Top Bottom